Tubes vs. SS

Jeff Matthews

Funny how some dismiss Tubes as "old" outdated technology while at the same time embrass technology that predates Tubes or SS...ie: HORNS..!!!![;)]

What I will never understand is why some people think that because they heard one or even a few examples of either technology (Tube or SS) in systems and rooms that are unique unto themselves believe that their limited experience entitles them to bash another persons opinions of the value of their chosen technology. [bs]

mike tn

Funny how some dismiss Tubes as "old" outdated technology while at the same time embrass technology that predates Tubes or SS...ie: HORNS..!!!!Wink

What I will never understand is why some people think that because they heard one or even a few examples of either technology (Tube or SS) in systems and rooms that are unique unto themselves believe that their limited experience entitles them to bash another persons opinions of the value of their chosen technology. PWK BS Button

mike tn

[Y]

PWK told my Marantz 8b was a good amplifier when I told him that I was using one on my Khorns after telling him his didn't belong in the Museum in Hope. LOL. I remember him telling me that Dr. Matti Otala of Finland found the problem with all SS amplifiers, which was Transient Intermodulation Distortion. Once all of the SS amp designers of the world cleaned all that up in their products, the differences between them disappeared.

If this is an accurate quote of PWK.....then with all due respect Claude this just shows that PWK was human like all of us and could be mistaken. If anyone has read PWK's papers he even disagreed with some of his own findings as his knowledge and experiences later proved to him.

Elimination of TIM didn't solve all the differences in amplifiers. Tube designs as well as SS designs (even from the same manufacture) can exhibit this fact.

miketn

One thing about tubes is being able to watch them pulse blue straining and trying to reproduce bass at 98 dbm SPL. I kind of miss that with SS.

If I was a Shawlin Monk I could hold my wrists against those hot tubes for one minute to prove my tubeness.

JJK

The part that gets me is all the studies claiming listeners can't reliably identify the difference between SS and tubes in blind comparisons....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver#Amplifier_modeling

I would say, "it depends".

The part that gets me is all the studies claiming listeners can't reliably identify the difference between SS and tubes in blind comparisons....

I would not necessarily suggest I'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test. It took me nearly 20 years of living with SS before I realized it didn't fully meet my needs. It took nearly a decade before I discovered that records and tapes still had awesome music on them after the introduction of the CD. In both cases, my "return to balance" came with resistance as both were counter-intuitive to my rather progressive brain.

Folks in these threads who absolutely dismiss digital for analog, tubes for SS, SS for Class D, Mullards for Amperex, or Charmin for Northern...or vice versa...are way out of line IMHO. My preferences rule only within my own system. When I hear someone's elses system that may be SS based, not have a turntable, or whatever I never give it any thought. Just "does it sound awesome or what?"

Now, if I was given that system and lived with it for a while I might change out something to slightly improve my experience...or not.

I don't build my systems to my biases, but to what sounds good to me over a long period of time. Sometime this year I mentioned that I'd put together a system for my library that didn't have what I considered my "best" stuff in it and it blew me away.

When all is said and done, there is "accurate" and "not accurate" reproduction of given source material. I want "accurate." Others may want something else that suits them better.

I don't have a lot of patience for those who denigrate one technology over another in search of musical bliss. As they say in Hawaii "One man's salt is another man's poi, son."

If an individual were to choose tubes just because they enjoyed listening while watching that warm glow isn't that enough? Do we condemn fireplaces as "obsolete" and those who use them as behind the times?

Dave

Unless you listen to 78s exclusively you are listening to music made on solid state studio equipment.

You sure about that Don..?

Well, this is the 2 channel forum. Since stereo was introduced and multitrack recording became the norm there has been little recording done with tube tape machines. Can you imagine the heat produced by an 8 channel tubed tape recorder or a 24 channel tube mixing console? You won't have to since none were made and used commercially.