Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

I'm a prime snob. f/2.8 MINIMUM, or go home. My comfort zone is f/1.4 to f/2...

Well don't you just have a cushy comfort zone. I guess that is a comfortable zone, even the best lens made is only slightly better.

I love my 1.8 50mm @ $125, same but in 1.4= $450, same but in 1.2= $700

And that's on a measly 50mm, other longer lenses can go into almost new car prices :o

When I had a full Nikon kit I used: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4, and a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8. The lenses ranged from $100 to $1800 and my favorite was the Voigtlander. Beautiful bokeh and the manual focus ring was a joy to use.

I sold all of that and now just have a Panasonic GF-1 with the kit 20mm f/1.7 lens. I like both the compositional challenge and the creamy DOF that comes with a fixed focal length lens.

Thad, did you really mean to say "creamy DOF", I woulda thought that was the last thing you wanted....;)

Joe, a couple of bee photo's I just took, yup! I just happened to have a bee at hand. First photo taken with an aperture of f2:8, second at f11. The difference in depth of field between the two shots should, I hope, be apparent.

attachicon.gifDSC00335_edited-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00337_edited-1.jpg

Pretty obvious, The 2nd at f11 looks much sharper, but not as deep the further back from the bee, it loses color / definition. This is great I appreciate the help

Speaking of primes, DOF, and creamy bokeh, this one of my favorite lenses - 58mm Nikon Noct f1.2

NikonNoct_zpscd3f2b56.jpg

An example hand held shot wide open of a spinning platter in very low light don't recall shutter speed - I love this lens

NoctTest_zps6404e9c1.jpg

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 3

Joe, a couple of bee photo's I just took, yup! I just happened to have a bee at hand. First photo taken with an aperture of f2:8, second at f11. The difference in depth of field between the two shots should, I hope, be apparent.

attachicon.gifDSC00335_edited-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00337_edited-1.jpg

Pretty obvious, The 2nd at f11 looks much sharper, but not as deep the further back from the bee, it loses color / definition. This is great I appreciate the help

I was more concerned with showing just how aperture affects DOF, just quickly grabbed these shots, no real set-up involved. BTW depth of field is not dependent on what lens you are using, the results would be identical whether you were using a wide angle or telephoto lens it's all about aperture.

Another cool lens is the Nikon 105mm dc f2.0 (also came in 135mm). The "dc" stands for defocus control and allows you to push the DOF back and forth. It's an outstanding lens even apart from the dc feature. Here's a link that has some interactive functions (click on the doll photo) that demonstrate the lens operation and basic DOF control.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/101

As usual crude remarks are enjoyed with advice

Always a good attitude when asking a question. :D

Sounds like a film camera ?

If it is just remember it works like digital, the big difference is cost per picture . :(

ISO on digital replaces film speed, it does the same thing. the higher the ISO or film speed the less light the camera needs.

F-stop and shutter speed work exactly the same.

The doublers like you said go between the main lens and camera body. The good part is it doubles the focal length, the bad part is it doubles the F-stop, (light needed)

If it's film it would probably make better pictures but is not cheap to just use, film cost and developing. Digital is initial cost and almost free to take pics after that. You can keep tons of them on hard drives, Cd's, DVD's very cheap and just practice free.

I will never switch back for a slightly better pic for more $.

I can't argue the cost factor. Heck I can't use all the features on the digital camera, much less the ones using film. There are areas where I would like to take photos that are miles away where I grew up. Just don't look like it used to, and I'd like to keep some memories of that area.

• Moderators
yup! I just happened to have a bee at hand.

:o Now that's just something you don't hear everyday !

You might be passing up Boxx for most interesting man in the world. even a boy scout isn't that prepared.

Perfect pic's to show dof, and very sharp. :emotion-21: