Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

OK... I can't be the only one... @ 11:18 (EST) did anyone see a freakin' shooting star go right in front of the freaking Blood Moon? That was crazy.

btw, by luck or fate, clouds parted & got some great shots. Going thru them now. But come on a shooting star??? Crazy.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 2

Hmmm...I wonder if it's just because I haven't played with the settings enough on my Sony. It's supposed to have a 50x Optical zoom, and I did use it on those images, but it just wasn't as sharp as the other pics it's taken. Might also have to do with a steady hand and a lack of a tripod, I'm guessing.

It has a 34x optical zoom & a 68x (simulated) Dynamic zoom. When your shoot with that amount of zoom or telephoto... a tripod is a must. I also use the 10 sec. timer function, because with that amount of zoom... you don't want to be pressing the button with your finger for the shot. That slight movement alone will actually move the camera & make for a blurry shot. At that length, it will even "move" the moon around the finder frame. The 10 sec. timer function will allow both the camera & the tripod to be at "rest " when the shot is taken. I have a Manfrotto 294 tripod. I don't recall what head it has, but is like 4 way adjustable & super smooth & tight. The tripod itself is very sturdy & solid.

• Like 1

Great pictures Nismo!

I should have also tried one of our zooming cameras. I used a prime lens and tripod. To keep the noise down I went with ISO 400, but that gave me long bulb exposures in an effort to capture the trees in the f/g. Not a good choice really.

You got some nice sharpies there!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK... I can't be the only one... @ 11:18 (EST) did anyone see a freakin' shooting star go right in front of the freaking Blood Moon? That was crazy.

btw, by luck or fate, clouds parted & got some great shots. Going thru them now. But come on a shooting star??? Crazy.

A guy on one of my motorcycle forums said he noticed the clouds clear, then the red moon, then a shooting star, he got in his truck to go to work, and REM's song "it's the end of the world" came on…..I think it scared him.

• Like 1