Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators

I wish I could take a Mulligan on the moon shots. After seeing Me Nismo Man's terrific shots, I would do it all differently.

2033, huh?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

2017 is a total solar eclipse, August 21, up to 2 mins 40 seconds of totality. Plenty of time to get all geared up.

• Moderators

I wish I could take a Mulligan on the moon shots. After seeing Me Nismo Man's terrific shots, I would do it all differently.

2033, huh?

2017 is a total solar eclipse, August 21, up to 2 mins 40 seconds of totality. Plenty of time to get all geared up.

post-13028-0-17420000-1443496273_thumb.j

post-13028-0-30940000-1443496286.jpg

2033, huh?

Your shots look killer with the added foreground for scale & distance. The addition of the palm tree (& the contrast of color) was a great in that effect. For me it would have been ideal if the eclipse took place at "moon-rise" as it came up on the horizon to help add some elements of scale, (plus, at the horizon it would have the illusion of being bigger). But my EST already had the moon positioned at around 70°-to-80° in the sky... so my shots were isolated on the moon. 

The thing I liked (& surprised me) about mine, was during the "sequence" I was able to capture the stars moving (faster when compared to the moon). My ealy shots several key stars were not evident, but as time advanced... the stars "revealed" themselves from behind the moon. And continued to  accelerate their movement & position with each shot. Pretty cool.

On my main computer display (which is also much larger) the size of pics I posted looked great. From a laptop (which I'm sure is the way many view the forum from) the size & proportion of the pics were a bit large. I might re-size & re-crop them in a horizontal format & re-post a few shots. I took about 30-or 40 shots total to capture the full event as the eclipse transitioned.

OK... I can't be the only one... @ 11:18 (EST) did anyone see a freakin' shooting star go right in front of the freaking Blood Moon? That was crazy.

btw, by luck or fate, clouds parted & got some great shots. Going thru them now. But come on a shooting star??? Crazy.

A guy on one of my motorcycle forums said he noticed the clouds clear, then the red moon, then a shooting star, he got in his truck to go to work, and REM's song "it's the end of the world" came on…..I think it scared him.

That's pretty cool. For me I always attempt to watch the Perseids, Leonids, etc. meteor showers, but in August or December we usually have either rain or snow storms & I can rarely ever observe them. I have no idea if the shooting star went between the earth & the moon, or behind it... but it was bright, substantial & a very "whoa" moment. Plus it had the I wasn't expecting it factor, which was cool. I should have been playing this:

Thanks guys for sharing.  Poor  visiblilty here due to clouds earlier tonight. :)

Rained all evening here as well.  Couldn't see a thing.

That’s ok Carl, there really isn’t a such thing as the moon--it’s just something the media wants us to believe.

• Like 1

• Moderators

While at Rodney's house on the lake in Aug I was told by him that the Eagle was back in the area so I wanted to try and get a pic. Ready to walk downstairs one evening I looked out the window and the eagle was sitting on top of a dead tree in the lake about 100 yards away. I took one pic with the window included from inside and walked slowly out on the balcony trying not to scare him away, I only got a few pics. The branch from the tree was right in the way until he noticed me and then he flew off. 

post-9700-0-07060000-1443912068_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-47340000-1443912099_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-07580000-1443912133_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 05 Oct 2015 - 8:08 PM, said:

nice one Jo56steph74

Yes it is, what is that like a cactus tree thing ? Can you tell I am not from the West :ph34r:

Looks like the second rider knows you the way she's smiling.

Guest srobak

Liquid Soul has once again decided to use one of my shots in their playbill for an upcoming show. That makes 3.  Damn I love these guys :D

Playbill:

ls_promontory.jpg

My original shot from their 20th anniversary show:

ls_20th_horns.jpg

Edited by srobak
  • Like 3

Nice!   Spent Christmas on the beach in Lagos with my girlfriend when I was 21.  I traded my car for a cheaper car and a little cash and spent a couple of weeks running around England, Spain, and Portugal.  Spent a couple of days in Sagres but didn't make it up to Lisbon.  Always planned on returning soon.  

• Like 1