Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

For me, I've really gotten into the whole "experience" of making coffee.

I have a drip coffee machine at home, but hardly ever touch it ever since I got into Espresso.  I purchased a Breville 870xl and never looked back and have really enjoyed the process of learning how to refine the different drink options available.  Whether that be straight shots of espresso, an Americano, latte, etc. -- it's all the same and this little machine does it quite well.  I've also found that experimenting with various beans makes such a difference.  Thankfully, I have three different coffee shops locally that roast their own free-trade beans, so having access to fresh ammunition is never a problem.

Now, when I'm at the office that's a different story.  I hate what my office uses for coffee, so I invested in a simple French press/grinder and make my own batch in the mornings.  At first I was accused of being an elitist, but then they smelled it and tried it and things were quiet from that point on.  lol

Here's the Breville unit that I spoke of and recommend it to anyone wanting to get their feet wet at an affordable price.  Unfortunately, espresso machines get out of hand quickly with prices well over $3K, so this option allows us to make great coffee and keep more money in the Klipsch budget.

Breville 870XL

breville_bes870xl_barista_express.jpg

• Like 6

• Moderators

At some of these coffee maker prices, Juan Valdez should deliver it with a complementary sack of his best.

OK I'm cheap and will stick with my late Grandfather's hand me down old metal drip pot...........0 $ 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, CECAA850 said:

I wonder what the difference between that and the A-10 is.  Ours is the most consistent maker we've had and makes exceptional coffee.

Carl, 

I don’t know the answer.  BUNN puts out a dizzying (pun intended, as always) number of seemingly similar models.  As near as I can figure, the difference is about $20.  Photos of an A-10 and BXB are attached.  There are some cosmetic differences.  The BXB is on top; A-10 below.

I am perfectly satisfied with our BXB.  I’m the early riser and usually make the coffee.  My wife’s primary complaint is that she feels the BUNN goes through coffee at too great a clip.  When we use ground whole beans, the grind on our Cuisanart burr grinder must be set to “Fine” or the coffee is too weak.  Grinding the beans at “Fine” results in using a lot of beans.

Since the winning lottery ticket was not mine, she won’t be tempted to leave for a guy with better BUNNs.

B77F5715-CDEB-4650-B209-BF64C669FAF4.jpeg

44B7006D-E859-404E-A355-5AE757977316.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

the grind on our Cuisanart burr grinder must be set to “Fine” or the coffee is too weak.

About the only tweeking we've ever done is to experiment with the amount of coffee in the scoop.  One level scoop at our grind size to 6 oz of water makes perfect coffee every time.  I drink mine black and can taste subtle the differences that grind and scoop size makes.  My wife on the other hand loads hers up with flavored creamer and really doesn't taste anything other than the flavor the creamer imparts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A couple months ago I grabbed some KK's on my way to help a buddy in his body shop, somehint i virtually never eat. The cashier mentioned that on that Friday you could get a free doughnut of your choice, nothing to buy. She suggested to get there early as "the place will be crazy". I said for one free donut? Yep, "they will line up out the door". Can you imagine the crowds for a free dozen? Thanks but No.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dtel said:

At some of these coffee maker prices, Juan Valdez should deliver it with a complementary sack of his best.

OK I'm cheap and will stick with my late Grandfather's hand me down old metal drip pot...........0 $ 

a man after my own heart. I buy reasonable beans and try to treat them right...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

whew... finally rained. Was 105` ... now 85`. I can live with that. We didn't get blasted. Some winds and a little wet. But it cooled thing down.

I get really tired of hearing fans running. White noise can be soothing, to a certain extent.  I prefer to not be subject to it, thank you.

I have a question

these R15M specs say  to 80hz with and "extension" to 50hz... where should the sub Xover be set? I set it to the lower end as I assume these speakers are better than the sub thru their freq range...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

whew... finally rained. Was 105` ... now 85`. I can live with that. We didn't get blasted. Some winds and a little wet. But it cooled thing down.

I get really tired of hearing fans running. White noise can be soothing, to a certain extent.  I prefer to not be subject to it, thank you.

I have a question

these R15M specs say  to 80hz with and "extension" to 50hz... where should the sub Xover be set? I set it to the lower end as I assume these speakers are better than the sub thru their freq range...

Rain missed us so far.  I saw what looked like a small micro-burst full of lightning down your direction.  Wish some of it had made it this far.  We had to settle for rumbling and a little lightning.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, rplace said:

1 cup gone, heading for another. Been up since 4:20 and not the good 4:20.

Hey page 1974. The year of Carl Douglas and Kung Fu Fighting. Rock on!

Don't forget - The nite Chicago died.....😥

• Like 2
  • Haha 2