Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Nat gas from the utility or can you run it off tanks purchased at a store?

It will run off propane (20 kW) or natural gas (18kW).  I've  been through 2 bad hurricanes where we lost power for 8 days with one and 3 days with another.  One ice storm took us off the grid for 3 days.  In all cases, I still had natural gas which is how I have mine set up.  15 seconds of continuous lack of electrical service and it switches over the house to the generator.

So if you don't have nat gas lines you can still use propane.  I like it.  I'm not planning on being in a place with nat gas lines.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome back dtel and wife.  A noble cause so your absence is excused :)

Well thank you, it was really done by forum members donations.

But as Carl has said before, I think it cost me a little of my liver, :unsure:  and alot of sleep, but I'm old and all I have left is to have good times, well that's what I'm claiming at least. :blink:  

• Like 4

• Moderators

Dtel welcome back, and very nice of you to do what you did.

Thanks, what we did was no problem, when you meet someone who is as gracious and inviting to others as that man and his friends are it makes you want to do something for him. It was really our pleasure.

And he likes to party and have fun, he even puts up with music he would never ever listen to at sometimes blasting levels and is fine if everyone is having fun, we did play some of there favorites. Kevin even has a playlist on his I-pod of some of there favorite songs which are played sometimes and they get up and dance and sing along, fun people.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

Hardly original but a mod on a sat system polar mount with solar tracking would be more efficient. Do not like the outside part much anymore but, need to research if phased array panel technology exists. An interesting crossover or natural area of design to pursue, imlo. Having such an array makes it more convenient and low profile, and yes, more efficient if design is successful. Questionable

It isn't questionable other than people have already been working on it.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-10/new-chip-turns-flat-antenna-arrays-satellite-signal-receivers-ditching-dish

And the attachment is from a paper presented at the 2011 URSI symposium.

Bruce

BP2-44.pdf

• Like 3

Good morning coffee gang...... Been a while, but this is my current brew and eats from the local cafe'...

Mixed berry scone, organic Peruvian coffee (0;

Enjoy the day my friends...

........Garyimage.jpg1_287.jpg

• Like 6

What's the chance some of my C&C buds can make it out to the event/happening in Arkansas/Rodneys next April?  That's a pretty far ways off so time enough to plan.  LF says she is up for it!  You guys know I'm old but I'll try to stay up till 10:00pm :o

Speaking of LF she is pretty stoked about her new Volvo XC60 (crossover).  The exterior paint is called Seashell and interior leather is beige.  A supercharged as well as turbocharged 4 banger makes good power (302 hp).  HK sound system sounds mighty fine.  It is a 2015.5 model they introduced mid year.  She loves it and the Volvo dealer made it stress free.

100 yesterday.  10 mile bike ride with LF.  Cooling off to a high of 97 today.  Still have a shark infestation in local waters which is all in the news.

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

• Like 5

So if you don't have nat gas lines you can still use propane. I like it. I'm not planning on being in a place with nat gas lines.

That's correct.  I'd have a big tank though.  Using propane will get you an extra 2kW of power out of the generator as well when compared to natural gas.  The motor is a V twin that displaces somewhere between 900 and 1000 cc's (I don't recall exactly).  It would run my 4 ton AC central unit with no issues.  I haven't tried it on my 5 ton yet but I'm pretty sure it'll be ok.  It's not like being on the grid but it's infinitely better than no electricity or using a portable generator.  It's also automatic so you don't have to get out in the weather to fire it up.

• Like 4

Mornin' guys. Just back from Germany. Recovering from mild jet lag. It's a long flippin' trip for us but a great trip. Will try to get some pics uploaded soon and see how they look. Thanks to my daughter we stayed in Ansbach (they live there) and took day or partial day trips to Nuremberg, Wurzburg, Ludwigsburg (just outside Stuttgart) and Rothensburg. Fabulous sightseeing and food. And, yes Gary, we got some shots of at least one big a** pipe organ!! (Couldn't get very close, however). The best part of the trip? Spending time with my kid and our 3 year old grandson! Can't wait till they come back to the States, by which time we'll have 2 grandsons (she is due in late Aug/early Sept. and they should be back in about next May).

Cheers to all. Missed ya!!

• Like 6

Glad you made it safe and sound Chuck.  Can't wait for the pics.  My wife's family is from Germany and she's been there many times.  What sticks out the most to her is how clean everything is.  She loves it there.  The countryside is gorgeous as well.

• Like 6

Hardly original but a mod on a sat system polar mount with solar tracking would be more efficient. Do not like the outside part much anymore but, need to research if phased array panel technology exists. An interesting crossover or natural area of design to pursue, imlo. Having such an array makes it more convenient and low profile, and yes, more efficient if design is successful. Questionable

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-10/new-chip-turns-flat-antenna-arrays-satellite-signal-receivers-ditching-dish

Bruce

Yes Bruce, I was speaking of a flat phased array antenna also. The one I was specifically referring to was a larger C-band being introduced in the 90's using similar technology as the smaller Ku array you showed me.

I was speaking of solar panels that for all intents and purposes was auto-peaking on the sun for most efficiency. Questionable is whether such an array would be as efficient as one which physically tracked the sun by polar mounted solar array using the same or similar mount from a satellite dish mount which was speculating upon as a DIY project.

Have seen solar farms using this repurposed from large dish idea. Only logical they would consider the static flat panel phased array antenna idea, to repurpose for solar.

Drinking first cup so, hope it makes some sense. If not, I will drink a cup and try again.

Thanks for the info. I find it interesting of course having been in the business for a while in my past.

• Like 1

Bruce

Yes Bruce, I was speaking of a flat phased array antenna also. The one I was specifically referring to was a larger C-band being introduced in the 90's using similar technology as the smaller Ku array you showed me.

I was speaking of solar panels that for all intents and purposes was auto-peaking on the sun for most efficiency. Questionable is whether such an array would be as efficient as one which physically tracked the sun by polar mounted solar array using the same or similar mount from a satellite dish mount which was speculating upon as a DIY project.

Have seen solar farms using this repurposed from large dish idea. Only logical they would consider the static flat panel phased array antenna idea, to repurpose for solar.

Drinking first cup so, hope it makes some sense. If not, I will drink a cup and try again.

Thanks for the info. I find it interesting of course having been in the business for a while in my past.

That makes sense to me. I wasn't quite following the original post... maybe I hadn't had enough coffee yet. :blink2:

Bruce

• Like 3

That makes sense to me. I wasn't quite following the original post... maybe I hadn't had enough coffee yet. Bruce

It is all good and almost certain I was not clear. The earlier C-band phased array mentioned was of a similar size as a solar panel,

which was electronically steerable to the many different satellites of the Clarke orbit belt for the continental us, in this case. Like it's physical, earlier counterpart, the spherical antenna looking much like a baseball backstop found behind the catcher, the spherical was non-movable, and the different satellites were accessed by moving the feedhorn to receive adjacents satellites. Still on first cup so... :)

• Like 3

Glad you made it safe and sound Chuck.  Can't wait for the pics.  My wife's family is from Germany and she's been there many times.  What sticks out the most to her is how clean everything is.  She loves it there.  The countryside is gorgeous as well.

Gee I wonder how that happens?

• Like 4

Gee I wonder how that happens?

Yep, it's a whole nother culture and respect for the environment over there.  They recycle EVERYTHING.

• Like 5