Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

8 hours ago, ACV92 said:

No thanks.  I like my guts on the inside.

I have seen folk - well, one -  that could eat HOT peppers. He was eating chile piquin like popcorn. I popped one in my mouth. Cracked it between my teeth ... and the gag reflex kicked.

I will nibble on Habaneros

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

It's difficult to see in the resized photo, but the networks have "AA" on them.  Look at the caps.  That's no "E" network.

J.jpg

Hey Mike, @dirtmudd, the mystery continues.  You're probably correct about the backs (access panels) not being the original to HIPs with terminal cups.

I'm prohibited from attaching more photos until I delete some old photos, which is a PITA on a proper computer and all but impossible on a phone.  Until I get to a computer, you'll have to believe me the networks say, "Type AA."  The backs have Klipsch labels that say, "heresy" with faint signatures for inspectors,  but nothing appears to have ever been written on the TYPE or SERIAL lines. The SERIAL numbers stamped in the cabinets are: 42R112 and 42R113. What year is that?

I'm embarrassed to admit I failed to notice these are HIPs with the slot ports (similar to Cornwalls) under the EV woofers.  You can barely see the port shelf on the above photo.

In any case, they sound very nice.  Right now I'm listening to Sgt. Pepper while I finish installing grounded receptacles in the 1929 duplex.

I've asked @ClaudeJ1 if the EV woofers make them Super Heresy candidates.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Hey Mike, @dirtmudd, the mystery continues.  You're probably correct about the backs (access panels) not being the original to HIPs with terminal cups.

I'm prohibited from attaching more photos until I delete some old photos, which is a PITA on a proper computer and all but impossible on a phone.  Until I get to a computer, you'll have to believe me the networks say, "Type AA."  The backs have Klipsch labels that say, "heresy" with faint signatures for inspectors,  but nothing appears to have ever been written on the TYPE or SERIAL lines. The SERIAL numbers stamped in the cabinets are: 42R112 and 42R113. What year is that?

I'm embarrassed to admit I failed to notice these are HIPs with the slot ports (similar to Cornwalls) under the EV woofers.  You can barely see the port shelf on the above photo.

In any case, they sound very nice.  Right now I'm listening to Sgt. Pepper while I finish installing grounded receptacles in the 1929 duplex.

My original Super Heresys (now owned by Jim Jimbo)  had the EV woofers, to it's a YES. Also AA networks can be converted easily to a B network. If you use stuffing similar to my pictures in the original thread, you will have a FRONT PORTED Super Heresy, since the PORT VOLUME is VERY similar to the one I had. Effectively, you are knocking down the mid and tweet by 6 db and BALANCING for more bass. However, I think a front port will NOT get the same Free BOOST that you get with a REAR PORT about 12-18 inches from a wall or corner, since the frequencies in question from the port are between 30-120 Hz. Putting them all the way down on the floor in a corner will make them much closer in BASS performance, however.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My original Super Heresys (now owned by Jim Jimbo)  had the EV woofers, to it's a YES. Also AA networks can be converted easily to a B network. If you use stuffing similar to my pictures in the original thread, you will have a FRONT PORTED Super Heresy. Effectively, you are knocking down the mid and tweet by 6 db and BALANCING for more bass. However, I think a front port will NOT get the same Free BOOST that you get with a REAR PORT about 12-18 inches from a wall or corner, since the frequencies in question from the port are between 30-120 Hz. Putting them all the way down on the floor in a corner will make them much closer in BASS performance, however.

If I convert these, I'll seal the front ports and port them asymetrically at the bottoms of the backs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

If I convert these, I'll seal the front ports and port them asymetrically at the bottoms of the backs.

If I were you, I would try to use the HIP Front Port AS IS after the stuffing and B network conversion. You may like it better than the rear port. You have nothing to lose by trying it first. Also you can completely remove the double Zener Diodes on the metal mount in the AA because they are not necessary for protection and are the wrong Voltage after a B conversion anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If I were you, I would try to use the HIP Front Port AS IS after the stuffing and B network conversion. You may like it better than the rear port. You have nothing to lose by trying it first. Also you can completely remove the double Zener Diodes on the metal mount in the AA because they are not necessary for protection and are the wrong Voltage after a B conversion anyway.

Makes sense.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2014 at 2:33 AM, djk said:

The only change from the AA network is using 8µF instead of 13µF.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

47 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My original Super Heresys (now owned by Jim Jimbo)  had the EV woofers, to it's a YES. Also AA networks can be converted easily to a B network. If you use stuffing similar to my pictures in the original thread, you will have a FRONT PORTED Super Heresy, since the PORT VOLUME is VERY similar to the one I had. Effectively, you are knocking down the mid and tweet by 6 db and BALANCING for more bass. However, I think a front port will NOT get the same Free BOOST that you get with a REAR PORT about 12-18 inches from a wall or corner, since the frequencies in question from the port are between 30-120 Hz. Putting them all the way down on the floor in a corner will make them much closer in BASS performance, however.

ev woofer aka k-42

• Like 1

Just now, dirtmudd said:

The only change from the AA network is using 8µF instead of 13µF quoting DJK

Along with the T2A tap changes, yes. You can't forget those. K-42 is an EV version as well as an Eminence Version. Both are called K-42, but I also found Delta Pro 12 A from Eminence works.

• Like 1

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

Along with the T2A tap changes, yes. You can't forget those. K-42 is an EV version as well as an Eminence Version. Both are called K-42, but I also found Delta Pro 12 A from Eminence works.

the ev is installed in the cabinet

all ready...as with my hi-sm's

• Like 1

BTW, since the Mid and Tweet DRIVERS in the HIP are the same as a Khorn, and the EV woofer had about a 102 db average output (above 130 Hz.), Klipsch got away with using a AA network so they played just as LOUD as a Khorn or LaScala, with THINNER BASS being the major difference, since for PA, they were probably used with a subwoofer anyhow. By lowering the mid/tweet output and lining the cab with foam (thereby taming the 130-700 hz. back waves coming off the woofer), you get a "Baby Cornwall."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have a question....if the taps on the T2A are not the same, and the cap value is not the same, why is this still called an AA network?

22 hours ago, vasubandu said:

We seem to have a lot of wine drinkers here, and lots of you are from places I did know even had wine.  So any favorite reds under $15 that I should try? I drink a glass every day and am always eager to try something new.

I'm not much of a wine drinker but I like Rioja. Its from Spain. You can get it for less than $15 a bottle at Costco.

11 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

@cecaa850 Send me some, I will eat at least one and post the video. I aint scared

Mark

I just cut the plants back and they've only begun to leaf out.  I'll have tons of them before too long and will be happy to send you some.

36 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I have a question....if the taps on the T2A are not the same, and the cap value is not the same, why is this still called an AA network?

The taps on the T2A in the AA network are the same as the taps on a B network' T2A. You just use different tap numbers, since the span is in -3 db steps from -3 to -12 db.