Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
For filing the riders you would want a file that is flat to the rider. A flat file is easier to use for this, but not mandatory.

I once had a really old chain that had been sharpened many times so I filed down the riders a little. I didn't use a guide, and apparently took off a little to much, it was grabbing the wood so much you really had to hold on and apply no pressure when cutting. But being the cheap person I am I used it, it did cut like crazy but was a little tricky. Whenever I go to cut I usually pass the round file over it just to make sure it's sharp, the little files are cheap and work great.

• Like 4

• Moderators
Trick or treat rain expected Friday, hundred bucks in sweets, lil tikes better show up.

We don't get any candy, we have never had someone show up, guess it's to far between houses, I wouldn't walk it either.

Your right Christmas is sneaking up on us quickly. :(

• Like 4

Tarheel made short work of that cherry tree and that is no lie. Chainsaw now up to the task. :emotion-21:

May go eat Mexican or local seafood at the coast  tonight tomorrow.

No one here talked me out of it so bought a used cycle. :):emotion-44:

Will Klipsch Mode 40 fit over my helmet?

• Like 4

• Moderators
billybob, on 30 Oct 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:billybob, on 30 Oct 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Good! I will finally get some new tightie whities and some tube socks :emotion-44: ... :)

No pictures required, I really believe you ! :o   

Pictures of the cycle would be good but we can skip the others.   :P  

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

Not much on the agenda today. AND ,, it's hard staying in today. We have a Halloween bash tomorrow night with friends, a DJ, etc., Also a home visit from a Springer Spaniel rescue operation on Sunday. We lost our little dog to illness about a month ago and are looking for a new 4 legged companion/kid. We've had a Springer before and they're great dogs. Keeping our fingers crossed. Somehow gotta remember this is just Thursday!!

• Like 4

billybob, on 30 Oct 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:billybob, on 30 Oct 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Good! I will finally get some new tightie whities and some tube socks :emotion-44: ... :)

This is a similar picture of what I got last Saturday. Drove it home Tuesday around 60 miles. Need to fix turn signal, bulb/flasher and do some backroad riding to familiarize myself and do some adjusting for comfort...etc :) GF has been cleaning it up some. Just a feeler bike to see if I want to keep it for awhile primarily for work transpo...Have to say, thinking it will block some chill wind . 82 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate, showing 20,000 miles.

Weird thing is odometer works and speedometer dial doesn't.

Drove it by tachometer, but that was dancing too much to use for speed indicator.

Guessing I need to troubleshoot the engine tach hookup to see if anything amiss like a tooth.

Little TLC!

post-26350-0-26740000-1414678158_thumb.j

• Like 6

• Moderators

Looks nice, now just keep the shiny part on top and be safe.

Our daughter wants us to get a bike, she even thought about getting a new one and giving us hers, but I don't want one right now, the wife says she would rather a trike, I would rather wait. 

Be safe

• Like 5

AND ,, it's hard staying in today.

:emotion-21:  Congratulations...have fun!

Not much on the agenda today. AND ,, it's hard staying in today. We have a Halloween bash tomorrow night with friends, a DJ, etc., Also a home visit from a Springer Spaniel rescue operation on Sunday. We lost our little dog to illness about a month ago and are looking for a new 4 legged companion/kid. We've had a Springer before and they're great dogs. Keeping our fingers crossed. Somehow gotta remember this is just Thursday!!

Sorry about your loss.  It is very difficult losing a pet, a close loyal friend and part of the family.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 5

Trick or treat rain expected Friday, hundred bucks in sweets, lil tikes better show up.

We don't get any candy, we have never had someone show up, guess it's to far between houses, I wouldn't walk it either.

Your right Christmas is sneaking up on us quickly. :(

Same here, very rural.  14 years and not a single trick or treater, but that doesn't stop the Jehova's witnesses from coming up my driveway.  Need to get a No Solicitors sign posted at the road.

Still a good excuse to get a couple bags of Kit Kat's and Snickers.

• Like 4

We used to have hoards of kids that walked the neighborhoods come by every year then it gradually tapered off until recently.  The current trend is for parents with trucks or vans to load their vehicles with as many kids as possible and transport them to the "candy rich" portions of town.  We'll get 10+ at the door at a time.  They drive my dog bonkers.

• Like 5

I think we have been getting the kiddies bussed in, for the last two years anyway.

Year round there is maybe 6 to 10 kids in the neighbor hood.

One kid last year yelling, "FULL SIZED CANDY" at the house on the corner before i closed the door.

Couple hours into the evening we run out of the full size and go with the bagged Snickers/KitKats.

And a couple years ago i got egged anyway.

Life in the Burbs.

• Like 5

For filing the riders you would want a file that is flat to the rider. A flat file is easier to use for this, but not mandatory.

I once had a really old chain that had been sharpened many times so I filed down the riders a little. I didn't use a guide, and apparently took off a little to much, it was grabbing the wood so much you really had to hold on and apply no pressure when cutting. But being the cheap person I am I used it, it did cut like crazy but was a little tricky. Whenever I go to cut I usually pass the round file over it just to make sure it's sharp, the little files are cheap and work great.

Iv done the same thing years ago, filed down the Riders just a tad, but having Stihl, that bad boy ripped the hell out of wood stock, lucky it did not take off my leg.

• Like 5

No trick or treaters in the last 26 years!

Chuck.....look into rescuing a dog from a kill shelter.  It will make you feel really good and the dog too!

Good suggestion. Thank you. And .. thanks to tnr and the other guys.  It really is tough losing our little family members.

• Like 4

This is a similar picture of what I got last Saturday. Drove it home Tuesday around 60 miles. Need to fix turn signal, bulb/flasher and do some backroad riding to familiarize myself and do some adjusting for comfort...etc :) GF has been cleaning it up some. Just a feeler bike to see if I want to keep it for awhile primarily for work transpo...Have to say, thinking it will block some chill wind . 82 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate, showing 20,000 miles.

Weird thing is odometer works and speedometer dial doesn't.

Drove it by tachometer, but that was dancing too much to use for speed indicator.

Guessing I need to troubleshoot the engine tach hookup to see if anything amiss like a tooth.

Little TLC!

I have one of those, its the dark maroon/brown color though. They run forever if you maintain them properly.

Mine needs front fork seals and a rear tire but it still gets used.

If you want some tach/speedometer numbers so you know how fast you're going let me know and i will get you the info from my bike.

If the odometer works and the speedometer does not there is something broken inside the assembly otherwise the cable is usually what breaks.

A few pics of my 1982 Honda Silverwing Interstate.

SAM_0120_zps4f345ac3.jpg

SAM_0121_zps561e4fa9.jpg

SAM_0122_zps2fe8c377.jpg

Edited by jason str
  • Like 4

I’m kind of late to this thread been off the board for a year something.

I do have a suggestion if you want to fire up the Keurig, Joey Kramer (Aerosmith) came out with a line of USDA organic K Cups.  Rocking & Roasting, the girl that cuts my hair carries it and after trying out a few found the Guatemala medium roast quite enjoyable.

Part of the enjoyment for me is thinking back seeing a band that literally had needles hanging out of there arms at shows to recovery and roasting coffee??  Is that “full circle” or what.

I have not tried it with Dream on playing yet but I’m sure it will be memorable.  :rolleyes:

http://www.rockinandroastin.com/product/guatemala/

Just looked and he does have full bean for the grinders. 

Edited by RagingBullWinkle
  • Like 4

Dang, nice looking bike there Jason!

Right now, I am looking at some 10 amp fuses for the fuse box. A couple were spent.

Thinking I need a new flasher too, a couple of bulbs for the front.

I may end up asking you a thing or two, if alright.

Maroon looks good!

Thanks!

• Like 3