Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Nice Carl! 

Is Jason str's table tuba in the Chicagoland thread the same principal as yours......made to look like a piece of furniture? I assume you need a bit of power to drive them? 

I drove mine, like the tall version of JasonStr's with a one channel of a McIntosh MC2100 and it shook things pretty well.

• Like 2

Nice Carl! 

Is Jason str's table tuba in the Chicagoland thread the same principal as yours......made to look like a piece of furniture? I assume you need a bit of power to drive them? 

That's correct.  He may have an 8" driver (I'm not sure) as opposed to the 10" in mine but it's the same sub.  Basically, build the sub and put whatever finish on it that you want.  I believe the plans call for the driver opening to be within a couple inches of the floor/wall and his is quite a bit more than that.  I may not be an audible difference however.

Horns need less power than conventional subs.  I'm driving a dual 8" driver box with a BASH 300 watt plate amp.  It's plenty.

• Like 4

Good day my friends......

Excellent topics / conversations today... (tuba project!!)

Lunch time here, but too lazy to drive out, so, I had our wonderful office gal run to D&D's for me with my card.... I needed to replenish my personal coffee supply. So, just brewed this up, it is actually pretty good ;0) So was the chocolate croissant !

Oh, I will be shopping for some interconnects for the vintage rig.... Believe it or not, the long runs (12') to the mono blocks are from Home Depot and are dead silent ! May just pick a few shorty pairs for stuff in the rack so it all matches... (0;

Yes, those are restored pipe organ parts in the background....

Enjoy the day everyone :0))

.....Garyimage.jpg4_4.jpg

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 4

Sheesh, Carl.  I think that the Dayton amp I am using for the Cinema F-20 is 150 watts and I can't possibly use it all without risking damage to the house...

Dave

My dual 8's are wired for an 8 Ohm load so I'm not getting nearly 300 watts.  It's also on the back patio and fires into a fairly large area.  It's just about right.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 2

Morning yet again

Plan of the day, Costco (Dire need for Brownie Bites) :smile:

Smart & Final, Cheese baby, by the Brick !  last two for months :emotion-21:

Machine shop, drop my Drillpress shaft for a machined taper so i can use my new chuck :wink:

Pub, wait for Costco to open, looks like a Polish Dog breakfast today :emotion-21:

Your "new chuck"?? Seriously?

• Like 3

Well I may now have the record for the quickest sale in the Garage forum.  Listed my HK A500 integrated amp.....walked Jake to the end of my road, came back and it was sold.  I chatted later with forum member Zim. and he seems like a great guy.  It was gone through by Craig so I sell it with confidence. 

Congratulations on the sale. The HK A500 is a really nice integrated and you offered it up at a great price.  I was going to post a few specs for you and a headphone modification; however, before I got a chance to log in the amp was sold. :emotion-21:

Our by laws require that we mention cables in this thread every 60 days so is anyone still using cables?  How about power cords?   Speaker wire?  Or are we all wireless now?

Not completely wireless.  How is this for the requirement?  Late breaking news hot off the presses on why premium cables cost so much! :emotion-14:

monster.gif

• Like 6

Sorry Chuck, I should not encourage the sweets ;0)

Carl, those are leather padded phenolic discs. They are mounted on threaded brass wires and held I place with cow hide 'nuts' OK, stop laughing now (((0:

Anyway, these go into an all wood assembly and shift back and forth when a note is played on the organ, thus in turn, lets stored wind blow into the organ pipes... The silver metal discs, are 'armatures' that go into an antique magnet assembly... When you play a note, this disc will shift, sending a pneumatic signal to those mentioned above...

It is kind of complicated, but believe it or not, this very old system is lighting quick!

Hope that is enough info for those interested...

Mallette, you would love my Allen... I have a DIY 'water heater' subwoofer. It is a SQUARE 15" driver powered by the big Dayton sub amp (1000 watts) and handles the two 32' stops......

All for now....

........gw

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 4

Afternoon Gang

All missions accomplished and then some.

Hell i even took a drive out to the Farms and dropped off some fresh Madelines cookies :emotion-21:

have an interesting item i came across in my bookmarks the other day, relating to Cables and more.

http://goodmath.scientopia.org/2011/12/30/audiophiles-and-the-need-to-be-special/

• Like 5

I have missed a few days helping dad out and all and we also had to move the motor home, I the wife and the boys are all happy new residents of North Carolina snow and ice on the ground in Md. and its like 60+ degrees here in NC today

I would think the boys a wife will like a little break from the cold and ice, just be careful people may now think your from the South ? Might need to learn a few new words so you don't stand out as much ? :P

wife and boys maybe I was raised in Kentucky, I have the draw still preciate the concern though  :D  (see how I interjected that)

• Like 4

Good evening gents..................

Mark, for some reason, your link did not work (at least for me)..  Anyone else get to check out his link/webpage ?

Earl, we NEED photos of your latest Khorn purchase.....   Wood finish?  Grill color?  Year ?   Just a few questions for ya..  :D

.......Gary

• Like 3

Morning yet again

Plan of the day, Costco (Dire need for Brownie Bites) :smile:

Smart & Final, Cheese baby, by the Brick !  last two for months :emotion-21:

Machine shop, drop my Drillpress shaft for a machined taper so i can use my new chuck :wink:

Pub, wait for Costco to open, looks like a Polish Dog breakfast today :emotion-21:

Your "new chuck"?? Seriously?

yes, it's the new style Keyless cuuck, it's a $200 chuck so i cannot complain the taper is wrong for my drill press, i simply broke down the press, pulled the shaft and will have a machinist turn it down a tad.

Do it myself but my metal lathe is in a hanger in Reno w/no power anyway.

post-57941-0-34280000-1425478527_thumb.j

post-57941-0-14440000-1425478534_thumb.j

• Like 4

Good evening gents..................

Mark, for some reason, your link did not work (at least for me)..  Anyone else get to check out his link/webpage ?

Earl, we NEED photos of your latest Khorn purchase.....   Wood finish?  Grill color?  Year ?   Just a few questions for ya..  :D

.......Gary

Dont know what to tell ya, i clicked the link and it works :o

• Like 3