Anybody Heard From Ebay?

thebes

Supposedly all our accounts are compromised according to this evenings national news.

No email from Ebay in my in inbox, and not a word on the main splash screen for their website.

It would seem that ebay doesn't know how to contact us via email.

Looks like another Target where the corporation figures out a method to minimize it's exposure rather then clue the customer in directly.

Still nothing from those schmoes. Not even an alert when I check in, no messages in my mail box..

I see this morning they finally got around to putting something on the main page, but if you are an infrequent user you'd never know.

Surely they have all our email addresses? They certainly know mine when they are promoting something.

Gotta love it.

Supposedly all our accounts are compromised according to this evenings national news.

No email from Ebay in my in inbox, and not a word on the main splash screen for their website.

It would seem that ebay doesn't know how to contact us via email.

Looks like another Target where the corporation figures out a method to minimize it's exposure rather then clue the customer in directly.

Thank you for heads up!

Im done with ebay and paypal...leave the good deals to you all.

These days, I hesitate buying anything off the internet, it seems nothing is safe.

I had my identity stolen a few months ago via my Discover Card, and I have no idea how they got my name and account number. Discover's fraud division stopped the transaction when the thieves tried to charge $1500 to my card to Colorado (I live in WV) for "music services" or something like that. They reversed the 3 small, false charges to my card, but now I'm kind of afraid to do any business over the internet.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I have as well...including fraud with paypal 3 years ago...I had my current debit account hacked about 5 weeks ago...One purchase in spain and 1 in new york city...both for a total of $600.

The best bank treatment i had was with chase...they put more money into my account than was taken...it was actually ok obviously...

With other accounts when my house was robbed wow...the havac iv went through is still at about my waist right now...that was when the pp fraud underwent for me...

Cash&carry for me man...I do have credit now and recently opened a new account for furniture although with over a year same as cash it will be gone within that time...

pp and ebay fees cost everybody so much more than they are worth...makes experiences not worth the time anymore to myself...shill bidding too...owe well, count me out...i hope you all enjoy! some good deals nonetheless dont get me wrong...just not fun any longer for me ...

Devils advocate here I guess:

You are not liable for big fraud on your CCs. I believe the max in my state (Alabama) is $50.

Ebay and Paypal are expensive but my goodness I have scored some crazy good deals on Ebay buying and selling. Would never have found some of this stuff otherwise either

If its a new item, often times Amazon has it cheaper..

• Like 1

Ebay does seem to be a standard of sorts in pricing although clist with about a 30% markdown is what things sell for...

I have done very well selling also at times...other times people bid at the last minute and dont know what their buying then leave neg feedback...had this happen once....with pp as long as the buyer has an address thats proven with credit(forget what its called) it serves a great purpose..just the fees then...

Iv sent all ebay & pp emails to my spam...i dont like being negative about them although through over 14 years of use i just prefer not using either any longer...there are great deals to be had no doubt...iv even made a part time living off it at one point in time, just a bit of headache or too much excitement for me

I guess I'm reckless. I live off of Ebay and Amazon, literally. I don't carry cash unless I need it and I put everything on AM EX to get airline credit. AM EX knows me better than my wife. They know what my favorite Bourbon is, what style of food I eat most of the time, My brands of Clothing and what Cigars I order most frequently. The three times I have been compromised since 1992, they have caught before the transaction has occurred.

There will probably be a lot of "phishing" emails going out to people thinking its Ebay wanting to reset their password only to find out that they were directed to a false site and handing it over to a hacker..... FYI, this will be a new group of people that hate Ebay :)