Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

Glad you're ok too. Unrelated - but we found out my dad has about 6mos-yr to live last week. (Cancer) Enjoy the hobbies & projects - but hug your loved ones everyday!

Life offers these "unexpecteds" at times - they certainly do offer some perspective!

• Like 3

Glad you're ok too. Unrelated - but we found out my dad has about 6mos-yr to live last week. (Cancer) Enjoy the hobbies & projects - but hug your loved ones everyday!

Life offers these "unexpecteds" at times - they certainly do offer some perspective!

I went through that with my first wife... We fought the Cancer for 7 years, and then in 2002 We were told she had 30 days or less to live. :( I know where you are coming from, and I wish you the best.

• Like 2

I have been working on building my acoustic panels this week. I keep going to Lowes and cleaning them out of the 1/2" x 3 1/2" poplar for the frame assemblies. So far I have 5 made up (not covered yet though), and enough wood to build another 5 or 6. I hope to have the ones I have built on the walls by this weekend. Hopefully my fabric samples will arrive today so I can order the material for covering them. I am anticipating having 21 acoustic panels in the room (2x4), for the ceiling, and walls. For the bass trap soffits I am using R19 Denim (I think I need about 6 more packs). The Roxul R80 rockwool panels are turning out very easy to build.

Here are a couple of pics of what I have made today....a>

a>

The frames are 1/2" x 3 1/2" with a 1"x 1 1/2" inserted on the sides to space the Roxul from the wall.

I keep running out of the 1/2" boards as no one has much in stock. :(

Today I decided to do a little testing... Mind you the door can't be closed all the way, the hallway still needs another layer of Drywall, and outer door has yet to be sealed at all. I put on some music and tested the SPL at the garage door (outside of the theater).... 45db, my wife starts up her new Hyundai Genesis, and it goes to 65db... I walk around to the back of the house and enter the HT... reading is 92db! This from my cell phone app which I don't think is correct because when we watch movies it will never go above 92db... Even at reference levels and this was very loud today! I would be surprised if we were not over 100db. I am very satisfied with the results so far.

Edited by ellisr63

I went through that with my first wife... We fought the Cancer for 7 years, and then in 2002 We were told she had 30 days or less to live. :( I know where you are coming from, and I wish you the best.

I think a lot of folks here can relate... Lost my first wife to MM... Love everyone like there is no tomorrow...

Bruce

• Like 1

I worked on some of the Acoustic panels today... I have 9 built, and 7 of them are to the point of having the GOM attached (waiting for it to arrive). I used white Muslum clothe for the backs and put them Muslum side out (open to the back) temporarily until the GOM arrives. I have decided to cover the entire wall behind the screen with Roxul 80 2" thick, and cover it with Commando cloth. The side panels will be 4" Roxul, and the rear wall will be 8" Roxul (2 layers). The ceiling will have the Roxul 80 panels I have built so far and maybe a few other points in the room.

Tonight a couple of friends came over to see the HT progress.... I played some music videos, and the beginning of The Bourne Identity to see how it sounded. We played it a reference levels, and it sounded great (even though the room is not tuned yet, as it only has 7 panels resting on the walls). My friend brought the Chemical Brothers video, and we proceeded to play it at reference levels.... I wanted to see how loud it was outside since it was around 11pm, so we went around the house and I pulled up my sound meter app... 42db at reference level with heavy bass! I have to admit I never expected it to be that quiet. I asked my friends what they thought of the sound, and they said it was distortion free all the way down to the lowest notes. One of my friends said he never expected it to sound so good being in a Home Theater, and was shocked when he saw how quiet it was outside. I can't wait until we get the rest of the tuning completed and the 2nd door sealed. After that there will be one more step... Get the minidsps hooked up and tune the speakers properly. One thing we found out tonight was if you want the best bass... You sit in the 2nd row seats, and if you want the most open sound you sit in the first row. I know this is because I did a quick setup with the 4520, and just ran it in one position instead of 8.

I would definitely recommend to anyone to go with double wall, OSB/GG/DW if you want to get the room quieter.

One thing that surprised me was that even at reference levels my ears did not hurt at all.

• Like 1

How thick is the rock wool?

The rockboard we have is 2", and will be used for the ceiling panels, and front wall. The side walls will get 4", and the rear wall will get 6-8" thick.

• Like 1