Do you connect more with lyrics or sound?

Quiet_Hollow

Lyrics or sound?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you connect more with lyrics or sound?

Most often a hot topic between couples I figured we should make a poll about it. Lay out them cards.

I'll start off with saying that sometimes a piece comes along where I can connect with both the lyrics and the sound...but more often than not, I'm locked onto that sound.

crosshairs.png

There have been times where I've been completely smitten and listen to something end-to-end simply because the sounds I'm hearing are the most interesting (or perplexing) things I've heard....lyrics be damned. Crazy harmonics, whatever....unfamiliar sound can be like a candy store for my ears.

My other half, well she's into the lyrics. So much so, that she can often recite an entire song from only a single pass through the rig. In that sense, we are yin and yang.

How about you?

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Definitely sound. Without the “sound” it might as well be a poetry reading. To this day I’m blown away when I finally hear the words and think “Wow!! That makes way more sense than what I thought they were saying!”

On average it's amazing to me how poor the doggerel that passes for popular song lyrics really are, and how that sort of thing seems to suffice for so many: for instance, the proverbial popular C&W song generator.

Don't get me wrong: there are profound lyrics to be found in music but precious little in popular song, IMHO, so I don't listen for it--and never really have. I have many acquaintances though that seem to buy their music based almost on lyrics alone, e.g., the Bob Dylan archetypal listener (...and I wish that Bob would start using Autotune... :(). When there aren't any words to the music, these folks aren't interested much in listening and that's when my enjoyment really starts. It's always been that way.

I could respond to your poll with "sound", but what I really listen for is music: sound is all around us everyday but good music is much rarer. And nowadays I listen almost exclusively to good stuff. Who said that life doesn't get better?

Edited by Chris A