East Coast Trip Advice Needed

Jeff Matthews

As part of an up-coming trip up the East Coast, I will have 2 days in DC, 3 days in NYC and 2 days in Boston. 

For all those who know the area well, how about some advice on how I should spend those days?  I've never been.  Obviously, there will be the "can't miss" things like the Statue of Liberty, but still, include them in your advice.  Also, advice on signature-quality local fare would be nice.  We are not looking to dine in fancy, expensive places, but rather, looking for popular places that represent a slice of the local flavors.  I was told that in NYC to ask for the NY-style dogs with the red onions. 

Thanks in advance.

Well, as most everyone will probably say, there's way more to see than you have time for, but, that's ok..  Don't know what your tastes are, but you can easily spend 2 days in DC at all of the monuments and museums.  Monuments are easily walkable, as they are all fairly close by.  Then, you would need to chose your museums, based on your tastes, but the Smithsonian, National Gallery, and Air and Space Museum are no brainers.  The Georgetown area of DC has lots of great bars, pubs and other spots to eat.  And, for me, Arlington National Cemetery would be a don't miss, very powerful and moving.

Have a good time, sounds great!! 

I highly recommend taking in a show on Broadway.  You can get discount tickets same day of a show at a kiosk in Times Square called TKTS.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

When I say "show" that can be a musical or a play.  I would got to a musical.  Lion King and Phantom of the Opera would be top choices, both are hugely popular, so get tickets early.  Others good choices would be Aladdin, Book of Mormon, and a classic, Les Miserables.  If you go to a matinee (afternoon show) those are cheaper.

There is something else that is close to that called "off-Broadway" shows (Broadway is a street in NYC).  Check out those shows too if you wish, there are very high quality shows off-Broadway.

http://www.broadway.com/

Edited by wvu80

I'm sort of an ex-New Yorker, actually Long Island.

My advice is to pace yourself.  The Statute of Liberty would not be my first suggestion because I think it can chew up half a day or more.  The view is not that great.  But a tour of the immigration buildings could be rewarding, particularly if you have kids who have to write a report.

As a technical guy I can recommend the American Museum of Natural History and Hayden Planetarium.    There is also the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Museum of Modern Art, and the United Nations.  There are around mid-town. 

My favorite place was The Cloisters in Fort Trion Park.  It is peaceful but maybe not exciting.

Hot Dogs?  What are you talking about.  Go to a New York Jewish Deli like Katz's for some pastrami.  There is a Chinatown if you like.  I'm sure there is a lot of Hispanic food, too.  The locals eat stuff they call pizza.  If you want pizza, come to Chicago.

In DC I like Lincoln Memorial above everything else.  It is a spiritual place with the second inaugural address and the Gettysburg address. Abe was deep.

There is a small version of National Air and Space near the Mall which is time efficient.  You can take a tour of the Capitol with a very self serving movie which is sooo lame.  I don't know what the White House is offering. 

Boston has a Patriot Walk which I saw people taking when I was there a few years ago.  A bit of a tourist trap.  In my view it is a bit revolting to recall the Founding Fathers and their creation and what goes on in DC -- how far we've fallen (my personal gripe).  I did not see Old Ironsides but it has gotta be worth seeing.

WMcD

Hi, Jeff - have a great time!  Too many places for me to suggest.  I've always considered the Lincoln Memorial to be very special -- great sculpture, Gettysburg Address on one wall to the side, the Second Inaugural Address, surely the greatest ever, on the other.  (Gil and I wrote at the same time.)

Can you parse out a bit of time for dinner or lunch or coffee at a place convenient for you?  Closer to Bethesda (suburban MD) is better for me, of course, but not a stipulation.  Naturally, you're welcome to stop by for a listen if you'd like.

Larry

Edited by LarryC

It is spooky, but good spooky, that Larry and I were typing the same thing at the same time re the Lincoln Memorial.

By visiting the Memorial, you are visiting a site of the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still."  Klaatu says something that those are great words and that he'd like to meet a man like that.

Smile,

WMcD

Thanks for the list so far, you all.  Keep them coming.

Larry, I had no idea you were that close.  It looks like 10 miles or so. Sure, I'd love to see if our clocks align for lunch or dinner.  I will have a couple of friends with me.  Name a good restaurant that won't break a poor man, and I'll jot it in the list we are making.

Larry, I had no idea you were that close. It looks like 10 miles or so. Sure, I'd love to see if our clocks align for lunch or dinner. I will have a couple of friends with me. Name a good restaurant that won't break a poor man, and I'll jot it in the list we are making.
Yeah, 10 mi. or so.  I dine out too rarely to be able to suggest a place, and I don't know what would be convenient for you and your friends anyway.  I think we'll do much better if you find something you like online (not Mexican or too hot, for me).  Then, I'll fire up the car GPS and come to you if that's OK.  Whereever you choose, valet parking would be a plus, given DC parking.

It would be really great to meet you and chat about several things -- look forward to it!

Larry

If you are staying right in DC then you want to go through this right before you come for some entertainment and dining info.  DC gets all the good acts, and has several great performance venues.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/

If you are staying in-the Virginia suburbs you may want to check out Hazy Center at Dulles Airport.  It's an offshoot of the Aerospace Museum and hosts things like the Enola Gay, a space shuttle and a SR70 Blackbird.

Of course, some believe that I am the main attraction in DC.

• Like 1

Most of the time when we have visitors, we recommend that they take the first day and use one of the hop-on, hop-off type tours.  They make the rounds of most of the monuments and the museums in the city proper.  It gives you a overall perspective of the high value targets you may want to hit the next day.  Also, if you come across something, just get off, visit, and wait for the next pick-up.  Easier a lot of times than having to deal with the metro and saves a lot of walking.  (Boston has these same type of tours, also).

I believe the Washington monument is open again.  Look here for timed tickets to get to the top.  They are free as part of the National Parks system.  We like the Portrait Gallery and the Building Museum.

Edited by flatgrass

As part of an up-coming trip up the East Coast, I will have 2 days in DC, 3 days in NYC and 2 days in Boston. 

For all those who know the area well, how about some advice on how I should spend those days?  I've never been.  Obviously, there will be the "can't miss" things like the Statue of Liberty, but still, include them in your advice.  Also, advice on signature-quality local fare would be nice.  We are not looking to dine in fancy, expensive places, but rather, looking for popular places that represent a slice of the local flavors.  I was told that in NYC to ask for the NY-style dogs with the red onions. 

Thanks in advance.

grew up just outside of d.c. must see the Smithsonian museums...especially the air and space. it's really nice because most of them are located on the mall, along with the viet nam memorial, wash monument, etc. pick up a "Washingtonian" magazine, or check it out online for good eats, it's usually very reliable.

• 1 month later...