MODERATORS KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING

BigStewMan

Its all about paying bills on time and not abusing your credit and its limits. Need a credit boost? Ask your credit card company to raise your limits...unless of course you're already maxed. Also, paying off balances in full each month actually boost your scores as well. At the same time, the higher your CC limit and the lower the balance shows you are not abusing your credit, thus boosts your score. Trash all of the junk "store" charge cards that you can keep a balance on. Sams club, Pottery Barn, JCPenny, better dig in your wife's purse. Many people don't know a pile of these things promising awesome store discounts drag your score down big time because the limits are always very low putting even a small balance near it max.  All anyone needs is AM EX and a Visa or Master. Use AmEX for everyday purchases and I mean everything, to get your miles. Double Miles for Gas and Groceries. For the bigger purchases, toss it on the Visa and pay it off in 60 days or less.  Never get a Discover card because it can actually ding your credit if its already decent. Insurance premiums gone up big time? Check your insurance score. Insurance scores are not just about claims. Newly obtained delinquincies and/or public judgements will also mess-up your INS premiums big time when the INS carriers re-rates you which can happen yearly, every two or every three years. If things go to a "collector" paying them off won't help your score at that point. It may keep you where you are at, but collections and hard delinquencies stay with you for 7 years.

• Like 1

Join Costco and get American Express Card through them. It pays 3% on gas, 2% travel, 1% on everything else.

I have a Shell MC that pays $15 back on first 150 gallons of gas each month.

I've made way over $1,000.00 back carrying these two cards. :emotion-21:  I do pay them off each month and have never paid a late fee or carried a balance. Certainly not for everybody.

My insurance agent told me my insurance score: She said "awesome, your insurance rating is a 2." Anybody know what that means?

Edited by JL Sargent

You have to owe money to have credit??????  You should have great credit if you DON'T owe money, that way you can pay it back, right???

same thing happened to me when i bought my BMW last year.  Credit Union called and said that i hadn’t used a credit card in seven years.  I said yes, i don’t need one, i pay cash for everything.  She told me to get some credit cards because it was hurting my credit not having any credit.  They approved my car loan and now i have three credit cards (i needed a couple of guitars and a VOX amplifier and a laptop and a trip to Tahoe, etc…)

• Like 1

And what's up with the brail instructions on the drive through......really....do you want blind folks driving.....even if their careful :mellow:

Brail at the Drive Thru ? really?

Well living in Kalifornia for the last 50+ years, iv watched this state go into the toilet, and it all comes back to money.

Example, an easy one we all know = New Gas Cans, the kind with two or three safety lock devices.

A Young starving dirt bag Lawyer in LA a few years back comes up with an idea, one that's good for ALL of us, an easy sell so to speak.

He knows scary stuff is in the news everyday, so he picks a story about garage fires, they happen all the time, everywhere, he then thinks of all the stuff in a garage that can and do, start fires, gas cans! Brilliant !

He's a Lawyer not an inventor, he gets in touch with the lawmakers of the state and simply tells them we need a new "Safety" Gas Can, knowing if it "Protects" the public it's an easy sell, he also knows these state lawmakers will not do a thing, so a few weeks later he files action against the state in violation of "Public Safety", Media jumps all over this asking/pushing lawmakers, WE NEED A LAW!

This law was passed in record time, quite a simple law if you read it, there will be NO GAS CAN sold in this state without interlocking valves/levers.

In less than a week this state was sold out of old time gas cans.

Big problem for the auto parts stores you might think? No, the auto parts stores were fully stocked with the "New Cans", wait a second, where the hell did all those new cans come from and how in the hell did they stock the state within a week?

Turns out, the lawyers brother-in-law owns a plastic company in the san fernando valley, making, you guessed it GAS CANS for the last two years, they were not selling to well, untill of course it was mandated by law. last i heard he built three more plants across the states and Now, china made.

Corrupt state ? this is but one item i was informed of "How it went down" and who made the real money.

Dont think there is any more things like this?

Where do you think that Third tail light came from that is on EVERYONES car ?

I saw "investment" paperwork my dad got from someone, it simply stated there is a law in the works that every thing on the road WILL have one.

Gee i wonder where that tail light company came from overnight?  that was back in the 70s.

Your lawmakers are running a con game, and no one is doing anything about it.

Rant complete, time for a beer. 

You guys are starting to sound like my dad.  " Son even if you don't have any debt get a credit card, use it to pay your monthly bills and pay it off each month" All I heard was get a credit card and buy Klipsch speakers.

Wheres the punch line to this joke, its going south quick. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Call it what it is - a debt score. You have to go into debt, a lot, so the banks will let you go into... more debt. :blink: And we fall all over ourselves for this score. We decided to try a counter culture experiment a few years ago to not borrow anymore. While strange at first, it is nice now to be able to say when Capital One asks what's in our wallet, we can sincerely answer... money! No debt = muy bueno!

I'm there with ya.  Heard Dave Ramsey many years ago.  Took us about 6 years to pay off $50,000 in consumer debt (and we didn't own a house). 

We are now debt free (other than our house).  It really stunk those 6 years of sacrificing but I'm sooooo grateful we stuck with it.

• Like 3

• Moderators

My scenario....

Previously had a 860 Credit Score and $50,000 worth of consumer debt

Now I probably have a 0 Credit Score and am debt free (other than our home and we are paying $700 extra per month to pay it off early).

I'm really enjoying the later.  ;)

• Like 2