It's Here!

BigStewMan

Obama talks of sending National Guard to Liberia

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/obama-may-send-national-guard-liberia-fight-ebola-sources-n227336

And here I thought the national guard was used for National Emergencies,  Not sure how Liberia equals National

Frankly I feel like any armed service members should have a choice in this particular scenario, I served my 8 years in the service both active and inactive and I certainly would not have agreed to be part of a mission like this,  It is Humanitarian and I get that, but it has nothing to do with the military reason for existance.  When I joined the military it had nothing to do with wanting to comply with every wish the president may have, it was to protect my country  

• Like 1

I took the day off today.  I'm expecting a Canon 1dx via FedEx.  Took me about 1 1/2 years to get it. :D

1dx? That is an expensive body! I have really enjoyed my lowly 7D. Of course now you'll need to drop about 25 large on a good collection of L glass.

Edited by JL Sargent

In the Western Hemisphere (specifically N. America), we have a greater chance of contracting and dying from Measles and the Flu than Ebola.

People need perspective.

Perspective is a great thing when all the details are known, The viruses you mention have been well known and researched for generations and have a much lower mortality rate

There are many unknowns and contradictions being stated which cause much of the concern with Ebola

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

In the Western Hemisphere (specifically N. America), we have a greater chance of contracting and dying from Measles and the Flu than Ebola.

People need perspective.

dear god you just don't get it. today you are right but ebola moves fast the WHO can't even keep track of the cases in Africa any more they are losing their ability to keep score. the very first case of ebola to hit American shores has been a pathetic failure. this will likely be the largest epidemic in the history of the world. how is that for perspective? best regards Moray James.

People need perspective.

Chad...  your perspective is errant.  Ebola as a contagion is far more virulent and has a higher mortality rate.  I worked intensive care for decades through Legionnaires and many other infectious crisis.  None hold a candle to this level 4 contagion.  No healthcare workers were cross infected.  The correct perspective is to respect the lethality of Ebola and make certain it does not get any foothold on our side of the pond.  Measles in highly contagious but nowhere near as lethal and we have vaccines.  We have vaccines to manage the annual flu strains.  We have some treatment for Ebola - but not enough - and we have no Ebola vaccines.

Get Ebola and you have a 50% chance of dying within 10 days........... at the very best.  

• Like 1

The Cleveland airport was scrubbed down and the surveillance videos were utilized to track the nurse in different areas.

That Frontier airlines plane made several trips after the nurse travelled the first time when she was not contagious as they say.

(California, Las Vegas, and Atlanta if I recall correctly.) The house in Akron is roped off, as is the one in Talmage and Wicklife.

Kent State University issued some statements about the three workers who were supposedly exposed. Solon closed

two schools not knowing the full information of the situation. Another school in Cleveland closed because one of the teachers

was on one of the flights. And I have not watched any news today for any other details. One of the news programs had a doctor

demonstrate the protective gear by smearing chocolate syrup on same and then removed the protective gear by CDC instructions.

When completed he had chocolate smears on his neck and forehead

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

• Administrators

I guess my point is, we are all buying into the insane amounts of media FUD.

Yes, Ebola is a serious issue. Nobody can discount its deadliness. I feel for those in West Africa - that's horrible. Yes, the CDC's protocols are rightfully being questioned. However, there are only 8 known cases in U.S. since August. Hardly an epidemic. I agree that there is a (slight) chance that it could become an epidemic over here unless things like CDC protocols are altered, but I'm no epidemiologist. It's all speculation at this point. That was really my (poorly articulated) point.

I do notice this is getting worse by the day, there continues to be NO good news.

And our borders remain open as well as flights continue to arrive.

Media im sure is being fed crap by now, and i see the whitehouse is more worried about damage control. (holding hearings), yeah like that ever fixed anything.

I guess my point is, we are all buying into the insane amounts of media FUD.

Yes, Ebola is a serious issue. Nobody can discount its deadliness. I feel for those in West Africa - that's horrible. Yes, the CDC's protocols are rightfully being questioned. However, there are only 8 known cases in U.S. since August. Hardly an epidemic. I agree that there is a (slight) chance that it could become an epidemic over here unless things like CDC protocols are altered, but I'm no epidemiologist. It's all speculation at this point. That was really my (poorly articulated) point.

The problem is easy to assess.  Look around you at your job, or at your friends and how many people do you see every day messing things up, doing a half assed job, etc.  I can tell you first hand that professionals are no different, includign healtcare professionals. 

We are in for a lot of ugliness. 

The plane traveled to Las Vegas...wonderful. 

The plane traveled to Las Vegas...wonderful.

maybe not ... i just read this from a denver internet newspaper:

Now, Frontier has told ABC NEWS that has begun the process of reaching out to passengers that were on five flights on Oct. 14 that were flown by the plane the victim was on on Oct. 13.

Those flights were:

• Flt. 2042 DFW-CLE (departs 7:50 a.m. CDT, arrives 11:27 a.m. EDT)
  • Flt. 1104 CLE-FLL (departs 12:13 p.m. EDT, arrives 3:01 p.m. EDT)
  • Flt. 1105 FLL-CLE (departs 3:43 p.m. EDT, arrives 6:25 p.m. EDT)
  • Flt. 1101 CLE-ATL (departs 7:14 p.m. EDT, arrives 9:07 p.m. EDT)
  • Flt. 1100 ATL-CLE (departs 9:57 p.m. EDT, arrives 11:00 p.m. EDT)

Frontier said it pulled the plane from service around 1 a.m. on Oct. 15, after it was notified that the latest Ebola patient, nurse Amber Vinson, had tested positive for the disease and had flown on Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas.

Edited by BigStewMan

Wife says we have over 2 months food at this time.  Guess its time to check out and clean the artillery.  Hope I don't need it.  But the tools could probably use a good supply of ammo.   Always nice to have several thousand rounds for each tool.  Can always us It for rabbit hunting.  

Gotta go look for more ammo before things close today

• Like 1

Wife says we have over 2 months food at this time.  Guess its time to check out and clean the artillery.  Hope I don't need it.  But the tools could probably use a good supply of ammo.   Always nice to have several thousand rounds for each tool.  Can always us It for rabbit hunting.  

Gotta go look for more ammo before things close today

Yep, figures, just when Wally World started having ammo again, here comes the next panic.

The problem with an all out travel ban is the unintended consequences.  People will then go everywhere by land and spread it to places which it might not otherwise spread which is then spread to the Americas tenfold.  The only real ban to enact is a complete seal of the area, land air and sea.  There are tough moral questions in all of this but preservation of a current way of life is a powerful motivator.