Guesses on Klipsch's "Biggest Launch in Years" at CES on 01-06-15

Youthman

I'm very curious as to how the new centers sound more than anything. Seems like a row of four 4" would be nice for voices.

I had hoped that the new ones would be front ported.

As for the RF-7ii, if the new horns are the cat's meow I can't imagine that the RF-7ii and RC-64ii wouldn't at least get upgraded to the new horns.

Nice... I like it a lot. looks like a good direction for the masses.

I like the look of the new horn shapes... are there Fluid Dynamic graphs that can be shared with the forum?

I'm pretty sure you mean "frequency response" graphs or something similar. Fluid dynamics doesn't have have much to do with speakers unless you're trying to figure out how aerodynamic your speakers are.

• Moderators

I think the difficulty in that with the larger centers is it would add an additional 4" - 6" to the already huge speaker.  Having it sealed or rear ported would allow for a thinner profile.

I'm very curious as to how the new centers sound more than anything. Seems like a row of four 4" would be nice for voices.I had hoped that the new ones would be front ported.As for the RF-7ii, if the new horns are the cat's meow I can't imagine that the RF-7ii and RC-64ii wouldn't at least get upgraded to the new horns.

I'm sure they eventually will -- along with a nice price increase.

I think the writing is on the wall for the RF-7II, RC-64II, and RB-81II -- these speakers' replacements will comprise the Reference Super Premiere (or whatever it's called) line with rubber horns, magnetic grills, and big price increases. I'm really curious to see the Reference Premiere pricing tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pretty big jump from Reference II pricing if for no other reason that to further distance Reference Premiere from Reference "base."

I'm very curious as to how the new centers sound more than anything. Seems like a row of four 4" would be nice for voices.

As for the RF-7ii, if the new horns are the cat's meow I can't imagine that the RF-7ii and RC-64ii wouldn't at least get upgraded to the new horns.

If I were Klipsch, I wouldn't give the RF-7ii's the new fancy stuff.

If you want that, you'll have to buy the Premier line.  B)

I think the difficulty in that with the larger centers is it would add an additional 4" - 6" to the already huge speaker.  Having it sealed or rear ported would allow for a thinner profile.

I meant the towers, so they could be flat up against a wall without affecting the port. Several people have asked for this.

I like the look of the new horn shapes... are there Fluid Dynamic graphs that can be shared with the forum?

I'm pretty sure you mean "frequency response" graphs or something similar. Fluid dynamics doesn't have have much to do with speakers unless you're trying to figure out how aerodynamic your speakers are.

it's all air buddy...

it's all air buddy...

Ha. Good one. Look up "fluid dynamics" on Wikipedia and tell me if you see anything relating to acoustics in that article.

I'll say it again -- the discipline of fluid dynamics has nothing to do with speaker design unless, as I intimated, you plan to drop your speakers out of a window and you're trying to figure out how much air drag will slow their fall.

Heck, if I'd known fluid dynamics had something to do with speakers, I'd have been a lot more enthusiastic about getting two degrees in the field!

I'm hoping there might be a little bit more to this, as my interest is not really peaked at this other than the ATMOS speakers.

However, that being said...I'll hold that final judgment until I hear them.  Regardless of that though, it appears to be a step in the right direction...though, I don't entirely understand why Reference II's name really has to be retired.  That's just me though.

Klipsch press release:

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5c...9608308000.pdf

(snip)

Klipsch Debuts Flagship Reference Premiere Speakers at CES 2015

INDIANAPOLIS (January 5, 2015) — Klipsch, a leading global speaker and headphone
manufacturer, announces today the debut of its Reference Premier series at CES 2015. The ten new
passive loudspeakers serve as the company’s flagship Reference speaker line and bring the latest in
advanced acoustic engineering and industrial design to the legendary Reference name.

The Reference Premiere series consists of three floorstanding speakers (RP-280F, RP-260F and
RP-250F), two monitors (RP-160M and RP-150M), three center channel speakers (RP-450C, RP-440C and RP-250C), and two surrounds (RP-250S and RP-240S).

All Reference Premiere loudspeakers feature proprietary 90°x90° Hybrid Tractrix® Horn technology
coupled with Linear Travel Suspension (LTS) titanium tweeters to produce the most effective release
of sound waves for clean, natural listening experiences. The LTS tweeters have been a hallmark in
the previous Reference generations and ensure minimized distortion for enhanced, detailed
performance. Reference Premiere speakers fully embody the ideals of Klipsch design philosophy:
low distortion, high efficiency, flat frequency response, broad dynamic range and controlled
directivity.

Providing remarkable low-frequency response with minimal cone breakup or distortion are the
speakers’ Cerametallic™ Woofers. The redesigned woofers are coupled with, ceramic motor
structures—a design that when paired with Tractrix Horn-loaded LTS tweeters combines for speaker
efficiency that is highest in its class. Unique materials have been applied in the ongoing pursuit of
ultra-low distortion design. The horn’s outer layer is silicon-based rubber, which eliminates
resonance of the horn housing, improving detail and resolution.

Each model, with exception of the surrounds, is available in ebony or cherry wood grain polymer
finish with a brushed black polymer veneered baffle and spun copper woofers. The surrounds are
available in the brushed black polymer veneer finish only. Removable cloth-woven grilles attach
magnetically for an elegant transition from powerful showstopper to discrete performance piece.

“We have a singular mission for the Reference Premiere series, which is to blow the doors off the
expectations of our loyal following,” said Mark Casavant, senior vice president of product
development for Klipsch. “This new lineup delivers the ultimate realism and intimacy associated with
the live music experience. It’s an outstanding new experience that will stun audiophiles and music
lovers alike.”

Reference Premiere speakers cover U.S. MSRP price points ranging from $800 to $1,350 for a pair
of floorstanding speakers, $500 to $600 for a pair of monitors, $450 to $650 for a center channel,
and $325 to $450 each for surrounds.

Klipsch is demonstrating two concept Reference Premiere 5.1 systems at CES—one that supports
playback of Dolby Atmos ® soundtracks incorporating overhead object bases audio and a second
with WiSA ™ technology. Dolby Atmos makes sound come alive from all directions, including
overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. Klipsch speakers
have been preferred by many movie theatre installations supporting Dolby Atmos given their high-
efficiency, low distortion and controlled directivity. Klipsch is bringing this ground-breaking
achievement and its advanced cinema expertise to the home theater environment.

The WiSA-enabled Reference Premiere system showcases a wireless high resolution, interoperable,
multi-channel audio system, which eliminates the need for a traditional A/V receiver. As a WiSA
member, Klipsch supports the association in promoting the broad adoption of WiSA product
interoperability.

The Reference Premiere series is available for demo at Klipsch’s CES booth in the Las Vegas
Convention Center’s Central Hall at booth 10428 and will be available for purchase through
authorized retailers and Klipsch.com in January 2015. For more information about Klipsch at CES,
please visit http://CES.Klipsch.com. For more on the brand and its products, visit www.klipsch.com.
###

About the WiSA Association
(snip)

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators
I'm hoping there might be a little bit more to this, as my interest is not really peaked at this other than the ATMOS speakers.

If you are meaning more speakers....that was it.  The big reveal has been....revealed.  :D

Chad, can we see the full "Teaser" video unveiling the new speaker lineup?  The top left speakers looked mighty tall.  Just curious if some were stacked.