RCA CABLES

Jim

I wanted to see if there is a big difference in using RCA Cables that are priced under $150.00 or not and what brands would be recommended. Will there be a big difference in sound quality in the $0-$150.00 range, and can you find a quality cable in the same range? I have Monster Cable RCAs now, but wanted to see if there is a better quality brand. I don't have the monetary means at this point to spend several hundred dollars on cables,but can allot myself about $150.00 ish. 

I'm going to be using a USB DAC I purchased from a member here, and will be using my computer for most of the music streaming, but will also most likely use a component splitter down the line as I also have a cd player, tape deck, and maybe one other input that will be going into a push/pull small 10 watt per channel tube amp. So my thought process is that it will hook into the computer's USB, and then the rca then to the amp, unless there's a way to hook it to the splitter and then out to the amp.But I'm assuming that can't be done with a small USB DAC. So the splitter may also be down the line when I get a different DAC.

I'm most likely going to be using book shelf speakers as I don't have the room for a second set of towers and wanted to do a 3 way Heritage speaker for added bass,but can't do that now. So I will be using Reference speakers which I will have to mount on the walls with speaker mounts. 

I just started using Blue Jeans RCA stereo pair. I bought mine on Amazon. Very robust cable. Heavier weight than I anticipated. I can't say that I am able to appreciate a huge difference in sound quality from my prior cables (Hosa) but these will last forever. If anything, I would say they are pretty neutral sounding. Transparent sonically.

Edited by buckaroo

• Moderators

Blue jeans... accept no substitutes

I concur with Blue Jeans, that and Zebra cables were a recommendation from Craig many years ago. Apparently Zebra is out of business because I cannot find anything on them with a Google search, which is too bad because I actually preferred them slightly over Blue Jeans.

Travis

Seems a bunch are leaning towards blue jean, what is it about them that everyone likes? How much of a difference do they and the other brands make vs let say a generic GE?I'm not using GE, just using it as an example. I have monster and other best buy pushed stuff. Is it the cabling,insulation that makes the biggest difference? I would assume that once the cable is a certain thickness it wouldn't matter, but that is why I'm here. When does it become overkill? Speaker wire companies try pushing 10 gauge and thicker,but that's a waste on short runs, and I would think the same with rca.  Am I over thinking, or making mountains out of molehills?

I have had Monoprice, Monster, BlueJeans, Silverstream but I am trying these now for all components including subs. http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/rca-cables/eks-rca-kables/

edit: if interested take a look at the Verastarr Silverstreams I just put up in the garage.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Kimber PBJ and Tonik are nice sounding cables.

Did you really say they have a sound? Why should any cable have a sound?

By god it's the end of the year, haven't' you followed any of my instructions and guidance. :D

Cables should not, repeat, not  change, effect or affect the sound. They are connectors, nothing more.  Buy something a few bucks more expensive then the cheapest, just so they won't break as easily and spend you money anyplace else but on cables.

I hear they sell these pebbles in a jar that will make highs sound higher, and lows sound downright depressing. Better then many of my mood swings, or was that my Mood Ring.

The mono price ones are great if setup once. The connector gets lose if pulled on and off. The price is really great esp if setting something up 1 or 2times and then leaving them. All that for $5 to the door. Schitt audio was using them on there headphone amps at the Newport show.

The blue jeans allow you to chose cable used. I opt for the shielded Belden. I always recommend cables to be only as long as needed. Reduces the rats nest effect ;-).

I wanted to see if there is a big difference in using RCA Cables that are priced under $150.00 or not and what brands would be recommended. Will there be a big difference in sound quality in the $0-$150.00 range, and can you find a quality cable in the same range?

To clarify my opinion. I think some people can discern "different sonic characteristics" between certain cables. If you are one of those people, only you can decide which cable sounds best to you. When there are so many opinions it may be better to consider trusting your own ears....to get the best solution for you.

Edited by buckaroo

Jim, I'll repeat what I've been saying on here lately.  Before you plop down cash, consider renting some less expensive cables from the Cable Company (they charge 5%- not much when dealing with a $150 cable).  Then, do your own blind listening test by having your wife, or one of your kids, switch cables (using a really crappy, generic cable as your control) without your knowing what you are listening to.  The results will be enlightening.  There are 2 main issues with interconnects (other than durability).  One is the amount of shielding, and the other the capacitance.  A cable with, say, 50% shielding may allow noise to enter the system if it is routed near the AC power cords (something which should never be done under any circumstances).  Those with 100% shielding will be more "forgiving."  The other is the capacitance which, if the run is very long and the capacitance very high, may cause a little high frequency rolloff (with a 3 foot length it's unlikely to be a problem anyway).  In audio, as with many other things, you need to experience this yourself because no one can have any idea what you are hearing or how your brain processes the information.

Maynard 

• Like 1

I have found to do an accurate sound test of items they must be switched back and forth at a rate of about 4 or 5 seconds with some program material and maybe one minute with others. Switching cables that fast would be a nightmare. Cable impedance's (inductance, capacitance, resistance combined) must match the two units that they fasten together. If one unit is 100.2 ohms and the other is 95.3 ohms and the cable is 99.4 ohms there will be differences. Remember this is impedance not measured resistance. In Industrial RF applications 20 db resistive pads are utilized to reduce anomalies (VSWR) down to almost zero because of impedance mismatches. In audio this seems to lie somewhere in the mesmionic fog of speculation and innuendo.

JJK

There are some very interesting opinions on this from everyone, and I thank you all.

My runs on the cable are basically going to come from the Musicstreamer II DAC I just purchased on here that is attached through the USB on the computer and running to the tube amp, so there shouldn't  be to much of an issue with AC plug interference as the rca will run on the rear outside of the rack I have set up less than 3 feet. My power conditioner is at the bottom of the rack with all the plugs going into it there. The DAC is on the top rack next to my receiver and the tube amp is below on the 2nd rack.

Since I am uploading all my cd's to my computer and then to an external hard drive, I'm looking to use it as my "audio hub". So I will most likely try the Cable company to get different cables and maybe 1-2 others from online/big box to compare.

What I feel though, is that I'm trying to cram what most on here have many many years of experience doing and putting it into a months time frame from my end. I now want to get that perfect sounding system and not have to put in the time and effort that everyone else on here has done and I want it done immediately. I will say though, that the tube amp sound even with my "entry level" unit makes me not want to even listen to SS for music anymore.