.22 LR

T2K

I wish! In the mid 80's to late 90's I was the firearms dealer for a department store in my area. In the long gun racks was this 700 that had been there unsold for 9-years. This one still had the glossy RKW stock. Only real difference between that and a BDL was the stock and the floor plate. But I got it for a song.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I love a good .22-250! I also load a 100 Gr. Hollow point for my 7 mm Rem Mag that is just ugly with what it will do to a groundhog !!

Roger

I've read that the 22-250 and 220 swift will erode the throat of their barrels. Have you seen this in your 22-250?

I got a 17HMR / bull barrel tack driver. Great to 150 yards. Outside that, it's the flakiest thing you ever saw. 300 yards your talkin 12" group. I think it's those ultra light ballistics. The wind catches them or something, and you don't know what you'll hit.

And That's where a Good .243 comes in Handy.

Ditto, .243 is a great round.

T2K, about your original question, some have suggested the S&W MP15-22. That is a great choice. I have one and they are incredibly fun to shoot, but take lots of ammo with you. My son shot 220 on the Appleseed AQT with one. He has a keen eye and a steady hand, though. My favorite semi-auto is a built 10-22 with a revolution extreme stock, Kidd trigger, Green Mountain 20" fluted barrel, and a Nikon 4-12x40 scope. It is ridiculously accurate out to 100 yards and everyone wants to shoot it.

• Like 2

I love a good .22-250! I also load a 100 Gr. Hollow point for my 7 mm Rem Mag that is just ugly with what it will do to a groundhog !!

Roger

I've read that the 22-250 and 220 swift will erode the throat of their barrels. Have you seen this in your 22-250?

My best friend and I are both 50 years old. He farms over 4,000 acres in 4 counties in Ohio. He has a Winchester .22-250 that he has owned since he was about 13 years old. It looks like hell, but it is still his #1 go to for Ground hogs and is still a tack driver. Now .220 swifts will erode the barrels if loaded hot.

Roger

• Like 1

Roger

I think any gun can be hard on the barrel if you exceed loading instructions.  But I did choose 22-250 and load out of a Nosler loading manuel which states the hotest loads are the most accurate or thier test barrel.  Not quite as fast as the 220 swift though.  And I think when the throat does does wear out (if ever) I hope I can get the Chamber bored to a 220 swift.  Trouble is the 22-250 is quite loud and I can't watch where the bullet hit loaded like that due to recoil.  Hell I can't even keep the Rat in the scoop when I shoot.

By the way my 22-250 is a Ruger #1 varmint with heavy barrel.  Being a single shot I don't shoot up the Ammo as fast as a Bolt, or Semi Auto.  I haven't even shot 500 rounds.  Not even Broke in Properly.

Back when I first bought my 22-250 someone told me that some farmers stopped using it because it was so loud the cows stopped giving milk.  ??

Mine is loud enough that "I quit drinking Milk when I shoot it"  :pwk_bs:.  I've never shot it around stock but could imagine it could upset the stock.

I know I enjoy my Daughter's .243 Ruger much better then my Ruger single shot 22-250.

It's not so damn loud.  And I can keep the scope on target to see where I hit.

One trip shooting rats with HMR .17 and .22's the shooting was in excess of 100 yards and at times the rats would be running while while being shot.  I know as my son said it was over 100 yards and I thought different.  Range finder proved me wrong and him right.  That young man can shoot much better then I.

Edited by Taz

I have one of these (this pic is not of my own). Winchester Model 90. Mine shoots .22 shorts only. My grandfather gave my brother and I each one when we were teenagers. My brother dislikes guns, for the most part. I've asked him if he still has his, and he's always a bit evasive. I would love to have his so I could have the pair on display, so you could see both sides.

Bruce

post-5045-0-66020000-1422451744_thumb.jp

• Like 2

T2K,

Has your question been answered or...?Lol

Plinking...

Got some good recommendations. This gun purchase started with the thought of buying a friend of mine that is mid 70-ish and about to retire a rifle for a retirement gift. He said lately that he always wanted a Henry Golden Boy .22 but never got around to buying one. While searching the web I ran across the tactical style .22's that are available now. Those weren't made back during the 1970's and 1980's when I hunted and shot for fun.

I don't care to buy a polymer receiver gun or one with a cheap barrel, even for target shooting. So that limits some of the choices available in a tactical .22 rifle. I can always shoot my pristine $89 1970's Remington 552 BDL .22 but the tactical rifle seems to me to be more of a tool that I would not worry about being as careful with, and the 30 or so round clips would be nice to pre-load.

Going to research some of the recommendations here further before buying. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Today I am working on finding a place to get some good lightly fried oysters. These are the types of issues that a retired guy faces daily. Somebody's got to do it.

Keith

• Like 1

Going to research some of the recommendations here further before buying. Thanks for all the comments so far. Today I am working on finding a place to get some good lightly fried oysters. These are the types of issues that a retired guy faces daily. Somebody's got to do it. Keith

Love my oysters too.  More than one to suit the requirements out there for sure. Hope your friend is happy!

Makes me want to go shoot off a gun to celebrate the new year.

Let us know if you want.

I have one of these (this pic is not of my own). Winchester Model 90. Mine shoots .22 shorts only. My grandfather gave my brother and I each one when we were teenagers. My brother dislikes guns, for the most part. I've asked him if he still has his, and he's always a bit evasive. I would love to have his so I could have the pair on display, so you could see both sides.

Bruce

Bruce,

What a nice little treasure you have to pass on, and how thoughtful of your grandfather!

I had a knife my grandfather gave me that got stripped out it's sheath in some thick brush while bunny hunting.

I hope for your sake that your brother still has his! I can't begin to express how little I think of people who sell things that their grandparents give them if they like the gift or not!

100 times the cash will never bring it back and there was love attached to that item for sure. ;(

Roger

• Like 1

I'm thinking about buying a .22 caliber tacticool rifle for the fun of it. Cheap to shoot while at the range. I haven't bought any firearms in many years and don't keep up with the latest and greatest thing down the pike. 

Anyone here have any suggestions and or experience with what is available and what is reliable/durable? I've been reading about the HK 416 D145RS and am also considering the Colt M4 OPS, both in .22 LR.

I know this isn't directly audio related but they do make a pleasing sound. Any suggestions or comments?

Keith

Personally, I'm not into tactical firearm look-a-likes.  Keep it plain and simple.

Far and away the most popular .22 LR out there is the Ruger 10/22, which was mentioned previously by another member. It is and has been the weapon of choice for many a rancher. It's tough to beat, they take a beating and keep on ticking. And if that's not reason enough, consider this; Because of the guns popularity, there exist a cult following of after market parts suppliers. You can customize that little bugger all you want.

OR

If you want a nail driver, literally, right out of the box, look no further than one of Jim Clark Jr.'s customized/accuraized 10/22's. Give him a call, and tell him Gilbert Jr. (from Laredo) sent you.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1022con.htm

Edited by Gilbert