Pandora: ScumBag Central

thebes

Hey Thebes, have you ever called Bose and harassed the sales reps on the phone to the point where they transfer to the tech department.  Only to be asked to quit calling and wasting their time, if not its a lot of fun you should try it sometime.  

• Like 1

I've been listening to Pandora for a few years now.  Many of these artists would not get a penny from me any other way.  So they get their 100 bucks for a few hundred thousand streams... not a very good return, I know.  BUT because of Pandora I have "discovered" many artists I never knew or heard before and I have bought countless CD's and high rez downloads of artists I hadn't known before.  If they (those who are still living) ever bother to have a concert in my vicinity I might even buy tickets to go hear them.

Prior to streaming I would have never heard of them and they would have not one cent from me.  Pandora's original agreement with ascap was bad early on compared to some other companies but I don't know if they are getting a better deal now.  Sounds like they are doing pretty good!  

Don't get me wrong... the artists deserve more... but they wouldn't have gotten anything from me without streaming.

• Like 5

I stopped listening to Pandora, I was listening to the free stuff. Same sh%t different day almost to the second. Sometimes in the same day. Thumbs down does nothing for me, they keep playing same stuff, SQ stinks also. I have 90+ channels and no matter what,they all intermingle at one point.

• Like 1

But...but...the beatles. Why oh why? They have nothing to do with many genres but next thing you know it, there they are.

Well I have only setup 4 "stations"... Loosely based on Heavy Metal, Hard Rock (80's bands) and two variations of EDM (electronic dance music) and have never heard a beatles song come on any of them.

The account was setup a long time ago and I only use it for background music several times a month. But usually at least for an hour or more at a time. I almost never have to hit "thumbs down".

You are deceiving yourself if you think it's free.   I'm sorry but no business gets $450 million in advertising profits profits for free.  What is free is the their product. The music. They pay nothing to the artists and get a half a billion bucks. Indeed the artist's companies, if they are big enough, pay Pandora to advertise their band/group/singer.

Here's some, to me, pretty scary advertise speak from their own website.

Precision Targeting Platform

Where others see targets, we see bulls-eyes.

With a 100% registered user base, there is no guesswork. Registered users provide age, gender and zip. We know what they listen to and how they interact with music. Other insights, such as interests and psychographics, provide additional audience segments. Whether you want to reach moms in South Dakota or teens who love to rock in L.A., Pandora’s targeting platform allows us to zero in on your audience. This precision targeting, combined with our massive scale, makes your ad dollars go further. So every impression is a smart impression. Less waste. More of who you want.

When listeners discover music they love on Pandora it’s the result of 13 years of people-powered craftsmanship. From Top 40 to Flamenco, our musicologists analyze every song for up to 450 distinct musical characteristics, because humans can do some things algorithms can’t.

Many of these artists would not get a penny from me any other way. So they get their 100 bucks for a few hundred thousand streams...

Same here. I use Spotify to check out music I may or may not be interested in but the music that I would consider purchasing has to have good sound quality if I'm gonna fork over the cash. As far as good sound quality goes...for me anyway...a well recorded/produced 320 file is good enough for my ears. I've compared 320kbps vs. the cd with the push of a button on my digital preamp going back and forth and the difference is so minimal to my ears that I don't sweat it.

I would agree that it would appear that the 'artists' are getting screwed.

I enjoy listening to Pandora. While I work I have a genre of music to listen to for hours on end with limited interruptions. I only use the free version but between itunes radio and Pandora they satisfy my needs while I am working and don't want to take time away from what I am doing to switch discs or what have you.

I agree however it is a shame that they won't support the musicians in a meaningful way. I beleive Canada discontinued these services because of lack of fairness.

In the music business who gets credit for being the author, the lyricist or the person who comes up with the music, or is it a split on collaborative songs? The reason I ask is that bands seem to work out songs together to get them just right. The whole song morphs, and that is because of the band working in synergy.

I have always heard the singer songwriters have a much easier go of it financially. 

Forget Pandora and move up to Spotify premium Marty.  Then make play list just like we do on R2R.  Compilations, single artist, whatever.  Running the music I want to hear through the new DAC and it sounds fine to me.  

So your girl Taylor doesn't get to make another $100,000,000 she'll get by.

• Like 1

Um, well............  Not only have I purchased new music introduced to me through my free Pandora many of my friends have done the same.  The industry has a perfect introduction medium in a Pandora service.  For me Pandora replaced digital cable radio that spoon fed you genres they chose and that were at least as repetitive and not at all for free.  I have Pandora stations developed around Johnny Lytle and Wes Montgomery.  I have a Bossa Nova channel and baroque.  Sorry if their business model is too successful.  Egads - after watching 90 seconds of the Grammies and getting violently ill methinx the music industry has lots of room for improvement.  Don't worry be happy.

• Like 2