Most Tragic Rock N Rollers Death

Ceptorman

I guess the most depressing would be roy buchanon and danny gatton. I believe they both hung themselves while in jail....what a waste!

permanent solution to a temporary problem.

danny....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbNKMlrkHMc

roy....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swX9oq6TVAU

danny gatton.shot himself in his garage - depression got to him - roy buchanon was found hung in a cell after a petty arrest - the family disputes the suicide theory

thanks for the clarification.

SRV

After beating addictions and then at the top of his game.

A guitar legend before he was old enough to be called a legend.  A natural talent that may never be duplicated IMO.

"Life by the Drop"

Bill

The stuff found on youtube. SRV, was a giant among giants....

Why I Sing the Blues

A little Voodoo Chile

http://youtu.be/OEJh2FFUUoU

Unplugged

SRV, Eric and Buddy Guy on tour and this video is a mash up tribute trying to show all playing together.  I like it, some don't.

Beach Boys:  Dennis Wilson in 1983 from drowning.  Dennis was actually buried at sea and his family had to get presidential permission because under normal circumstances civilians aren't allowed to be buried at sea.

Carl Wilson in 1998 from brain and lung cancer.

+++

The Who

Keith Moon of the Who, 1946-1978, drug OD. 

In 2002, John Entwistle, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend were poised to launch another tour as the Who. Those plans were stopped short on June 27, 2002—just before their tour was slated to begin—John Entwistle died from a heart attack in Las Vegas, Nevada. Some of the group’s dates were canceled, but Daltrey and Townshend played out the remainder of the tour, performing in honor of their friend.

+++

Jim Croce who died in a plane wreck in 1973.

Whitney Houston died of a drug OD and drowned in a foot of water in her bathtub.

John Denver died in 1997 when an experimental aircraft he purchased and was flying, crashed.  The plane ran out of fuel, then when he tried to reach the switch for the aux fuel tank he couldn't reach it because this was an experimental plane and it was placed in an awkward place.

The plans for the Long E-Z kit aircraft say that the fuel selector handle--which switches the fuel flow between the left and right tanks--should be located between the pilot's legs. But the plane's builder, aircraft maker Adrian Davis Jr., said he put it behind the pilot's left shoulder because he did not want fuel in the cockpit.

On the day of the crash, Denver and a maintenance technician talked about the inaccessibility of the handle. "They tried a pair of Vise-Grip pliers on the handle to extend the reach of the handle, but this did not work," the report said.

Under those circumstances, the pilot would have had to remove his shoulder harness, turn around and switch the handle.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

jimjimbo, on 12 Feb 2015 - 9:42 PM, said:

SRV

That was my vote also.

And again.

I think that his death affected me more because I attended that last show. Got home at 2AM, went to bed, and woke to the news. Just pure shock.

How fortunate you got to be there for that last show!  

I missed going to one of Ray Charles' last performances and I will forever regret it!

Not necessarily rock but im going to go with Bradley of Sublime. Died needlessly of a drug overdose just as the band started to really make it big. Sublime combined CoCal punk rock with Reggae and pretty much created the Ska genre that is so popular today.

• Like 1

Very interesting responses.  Maybe for some, self induced/overdose/suicide doesn't equate to "tragic"....Not making any kind of judgement call here at all.  Just interesting.

I'm with you on this, to me a drug OD is not tragic since they had a choice! Crash and burn ala Buddy Holly and especially SRV since he had cleaned up and turned his personal life around only to be snuffed early is really a tragic end of an enormous tallent :( We recently lost a great friend and contributer out here and falling off a stool at the kitchen counter is truly tragic! RIP BOXX

• Like 1