Here is another list I have seen over the years:

"T.H.I.N.K. before speaking...

Is it True?

Is it Helpful?

Is it Inspiring?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Kind?

If not...probably best to keep your mouth shut."

This is a link to a discussion on the accroyacronym in Inc. magazine.

http://www.inc.com/lee-colan/think-before-youspeak.html

http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/think-before-you-speak--sermon-body-larry-wilson-sermon-on-tongue-159447.asp.

A website discussing the acronym with biblical citations is support thereof.

• Like 2

I was once barred from speaking to anyone outside of our organization without having my message approved by management. Now, in my defense, what triggered this wasn’t unprofessional at all. I was dealing with a city employee that i’d been dealing with numerous times and we got along well. I needed some forms from them returned and i asked him if he could send them right away to get my boss off my back.  My boss didn’t think that was funny so i wasn’t allowed to speak to people outside the organization.  

The ban didn’t last long.  The guy faxed the documents and called me to ask if i received them. i put him on hold and asked my boss, “so & so is on the phone asking me if i received his fax.  May i have permission to tell him yes?"

Also in my defense, we’d send out calls for information late on a thursday, and many city offices are closed on alternate fridays, and the following monday was a holiday. So first thing Tuesday morning, my boss is making me call all the cities and tell them that we’re still waiting for their information.  

• Moderators

That is crazy, it seems to be an off-hand of saying the person you report to holds you accountable. Why was he upset about that?

Pretty nice way of demonstrating to the boss that that the Big Stew Man Rule was unworkable. It also reveals how in many organizations if you have a way of getting things done, you end up getting everyone's job done.

Put yourself down for a raise.

• Like 2

That is crazy, it seems to be an off-hand of saying the person you report to holds you accountable. Why was he upset about that?

Pretty nice way of demonstrating to the boss that that the Big Stew Man Rule was unworkable. It also reveals how in many organizations if you have a way of getting things done, you end up getting everyone's job done.

Put yourself down for a raise.

a political climate wherein my boss’ boss is paranoid. i talk to people like they’re regular people. I do what i think is right--not popular. I’m results-oriented and not image-driven. Obviously when we ultimately report to elected officials -- my personality makes people a bit nervous. 

Thanks for the raise; but, i’ve been topped out for years. 

• Like 1

My "Baltimore game" thread was not locked, but wholly deleted by the Mods. 

I completely approve, and I thank whoever had the good sense to pull the plug on what I thought started out as a decent conversation that was completely hijacked.  Off-topic political comments and personal attacks have no place here.

I thought we could police ourselves and keep the thread on-topic, even though it was on the edge of breaking the forum guidelines of "no politics."  I guess I was wrong.

• Like 2

My "Baltimore game" thread was not locked, but wholly deleted by the Mods. 

I completely approve, and I thank whoever had the good sense to pull the plug on what I thought started out as a decent conversation that was completely hijacked.  Off-topic political comments and personal attacks have no place here.

I thought we could police ourselves and keep the thread on-topic, even though it was on the edge of breaking the forum guidelines of "no politics."  I guess I was wrong.

Not an excuse; but possibly an explanation is that sometimes people enter a conversation mid-stream. They could start posting about what was being discussed at that juncture without knowing the thread was already off-topic.  Some threads here are very long and I wouldn't expect someone to go to the beginning and start reading. 

Other times, (and I admit I fall into this category) don't mind if a thread drifts a bit as often there are numerous factors involved in what we discuss. 

I  made a post in your Orioles Game thread this morning. You made a post after me. I went to lunch. Came back about 45 minutes or so later and the thread was gone. I wasn't alarmed by any dialogue up to that point; however, in the time I was off the forum, plenty else could have transpired.

I certainly didn't write anything even remotely offensive; however, having posted so close to the time it was deleted--made me wonder if someone took offense to what I said.  If that's the case, I would hope whoever deleted the thread would have let the one that pushed it over line know that they were out of bounds. Now I can't help but feel that maybe I ruined your thread.  So moderator -- if it was me ... let me know, please...publically or privately.

If it was me wvu80, I will most certainly apologize to you.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

The thread was pulled because it had serious political overtones.  We have had a long standing policy of NO POLITICS on the community forum.  It was nothing that one particular person did.

Our members do not come onto our public forums to discuss politics and we choose not to indulge members who vary from that policy.

• Like 2

I certainly didn't write anything even remotely offensive; however, having posted so close to the time it was deleted--made me wonder if someone took offense to what I said. If that's the case, I would hope whoever deleted the thread would have let the one that pushed it over line know that they were out of bounds. Now I can't help but feel that maybe I ruined your thread. So moderator -- if it was me ... let me know, please...publically or privately. If it was me wvu80, I will most certainly apologize to you.

I agree.  It may have been bad timing for your post, but said nothing in my view that was even close to problematic.  If some others had posted as you did, the thread would still be there.

I appreciate the apology, it shows me your character.  Of course I accept whatever you offer, but honestly the deleted thread had nothing to do with you.

+++

Edit:  After I wrote my reply to you, I read what Dtel's Wife wrote directly upstream.  I agree with her, and she stated things perfectly.

It is I who owe the Klipsch Forum members an apology for opening the door on a sensitive subject.  It was my fault to begin with, no matter how things ended up.  I bear full responsibility.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Thank you wvu80.  I would also suggest to others, if you have an issue with topics that are moderated, you should address those issues directly with Chad, if you aren't happy with the explanation we provide.  We are simply following the "welcome guide" we were given when we became moderators.

• Like 2

It is I who owe the Klipsch Forum members an apology for opening the door on a sensitive subject.

I disagree, you did nothing wrong by starting the thread in my opinion.You just stated what was in the news. It did take an awful turn and in the famous words of MXRDAD........

That thread was about to.... EXCEED THE LIMITATIONS OF MY MEDICATIONS!   :P

• Like 3

I certainly didn't write anything even remotely offensive; however, having posted so close to the time it was deleted--made me wonder if someone took offense to what I said. If that's the case, I would hope whoever deleted the thread would have let the one that pushed it over line know that they were out of bounds. Now I can't help but feel that maybe I ruined your thread. So moderator -- if it was me ... let me know, please...publically or privately. If it was me wvu80, I will most certainly apologize to you.

I agree.  It may have been bad timing for your post, but said nothing in my view that was even close to problematic.  If some others had posted as you did, the thread would still be there.

I appreciate the apology, it shows me your character.  Of course I accept whatever you offer, but honestly the deleted thread had nothing to do with you.

+++

Edit:  After I wrote my reply to you, I read what Dtel's Wife wrote directly upstream.  I agree with her, and she stated things perfectly.

It is I who owe the Klipsch Forum members an apology for opening the door on a sensitive subject.  It was my fault to begin with, no matter how things ended up.  I bear full responsibility.

Dave,

I can assure you that this was not your fault. I would like to apologize to you and the forum for my last post in the locked thread, which I'm sure caused the lock. I was heatly (but sincere) responding directly to a member that I, unfortunately, let sway my better judgement. I should have ignored him, but I didn't. Going forward, I'll be the first to blow the whistle on any political discussions here. To be fair, trying to discuss such a topic on any forum is mindless and unfortunately I was a participant in this one. It is only fair to all parties involved when this issue is discussed face to face....not behind a keypad.

My apologies!

Hogfan

• Like 3

• Moderators

Again, it has nothing to do with what any one did.  It's just the policy and we have to enforce it.  

It's the same with abusive behavior, inciting, harassing, mocking, etc.  There is a difference between healthy discussions and all out personal attacks, we just can't let that happen.  

We don't expect everyone to agree, if they did there would be no reason for this forum, however we do expect our members to treat everyone with respect.  Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong.  

If we overlook it it gets taken to the extreme sometimes.  

You are correct Hogfan, there is a time and a place for everything....some things are best not discussed from behind a keypad.

I have had posts deleted with no explanation by moderators (well one anyway) and had to dig it out of them if they were the one who deleted.  Never mind the why since I didn't want to burden their tiny little mind.  Such is forum life under the current structure.

• Moderators

however we do expect our members to treat everyone with respect.
isn’t that asking too much out of the likes of us? 

I'm hopeful that it's not asking too much!  

You know,  we all joke around and have fun....but it's kind of obvious when it's an all out attack!

I have had posts deleted with no explanation by moderators (well one anyway) and had to dig it out of them if they were the one who deleted.  Never mind the why since I didn't want to burden their tiny little mind.  Such is forum life under the current structure.

And yet you're still here, which we're thankful for.  There's too much snark to be spread by just one member (Thad).

• Like 1