Locking Threads "due to bad personnel attacks"

mikebse2a3

4. So TODAY what everyone is saying is that it is fine for Oldtimer to make his humor at my expense, but my humorous reply was out of bound?

Still looking for it.  Both the humor and what may be considered "out of bound."  Unless you mean the irony post, which is possible for the former, but not the latter.

Ah!  I see it.  If you casually breeze through the post and do not apply proper context, it could be read that he was expressing serious protest.  Reading it that way puts a whole new spin on it.

I regret that I didn't QUOTE his post here, when I commented right after. It was really great. One of the best pieces of writing of the past week, and coming from a place I would not have expected. I don't know anything about the reasons for deleting it because I don't know him that well. What I do know is that he fully understood that people can be at opposite end of worldviews and still maintain respect for the person at the other end. Everyone could have learned from his post. I did. If he has left, and I hope not,  I hope it is in that car with the guitars in the back headed east on Route 66. I wish you all the best, Steve.

I regret I didn't get to see it.

I regret that I didn't QUOTE his post here, when I commented right after. It was really great. One of the best pieces of writing of the past week, and coming from a place I would not have expected. I don't know anything about the reasons for deleting it because I don't know him that well. What I do know is that he fully understood that people can be at opposite end of worldviews and still maintain respect for the person at the other end. Everyone could have learned from his post. I did. If he has left, and I hope not,  I hope it is in that car with the guitars in the back headed east on Route 66. I wish you all the best, Steve.

I regret I didn't get to see it.

Same here.  I will miss his insight and wit here.

Words make up the arsenal with which to wage war for the purpose of winning discussion points. What often happens, and I know this because it's happened to me many times -- is that when someone smarter, with more education, and a larger vocabulary kicks your rear end in, you feel the need to reach into your bag of desperate measures and fashion up a nicely formed veiled personal attack. The veiled attack is just a jab, and not intended to hurt someone. Many of us do this, and we all know it doesn't mean anything. If someone becomes offended, an apology is delivered immediately, as is customary.

Now, some don't even bother to disguise their attacks. They're just plain nasty, always delivering as much humiliation as they think they can get away with, and they never apologize, never. They will however accuse you of being thin skinned, and that you should be able to handle being called whatever name they decide to call you, because they were "only kidding", or you had it coming (for disagreeing with them). I guess it's supposed to be funny seeing yourself publicly humiliated. They always have good reasons for the abuse. These same people have also been issued warnings ad nauseum over the years, but they remain, and so the abuse continues. Some of these people send follow up PMs or emails warning their detractors that if they don't cease and desist -- then they are going to do what they can to ruin your life.

And we sit around and wonder why people are jumping off the ship.

• Like 1

My "Baltimore game" thread was not locked, but wholly deleted by the Mods. 

I completely approve, and I thank whoever had the good sense to pull the plug on what I thought started out as a decent conversation that was completely hijacked.  Off-topic political comments and personal attacks have no place here.

I thought we could police ourselves and keep the thread on-topic, even though it was on the edge of breaking the forum guidelines of "no politics."  I guess I was wrong.

What??? You saw no politics and that first post was filled with political propaganda in question form! :o  It was TOTALLY political and although I love those kind of discussions, can see why the moderators moved it because of it's nature on a Speaker Forum.

I saw no one coming up with solutions to the problems in Baltimore but expressing political rants depending if they were Conservative or not.

Again, I love discussions dealing with political views and see that there are several pages of posts after this one but wanted to express my opinion to what I witnessed on that thread and left for work yesterday.

Again, it has nothing to do with what any one did.  It's just the policy and we have to enforce it.  

...If we overlook it it gets taken to the extreme sometimes.  

You are correct Hogfan, there is a time and a place for everything....some things are best not discussed from behind a keypad.

I think putting political thoughts in writing and defending important positions VERY beneficial to keeping a record between debaters and posters honest...That said, I wouldn't have gotten involved in that thread if the first post wasn't so obviously political and sometimes I can't help but give a second opinion. ;)

Edited by tkdamerica

Three rules to keeping an orderly discussion forum:

1. No politics or religion

2. No profanity

3. Be polite

What Klispch seems to forget is that this generation that so avidly supports their products was steeped in freedom of speech and expressed frank, diverse and strident opinions.  We fought that war in Viet Nam in the jungles AND in the streets of this country.  Every member here merits deeper respect than Klipsch seems willing to offer.  Whether intentional or not - this petulant corralling is a bit of an affront.  

Yes, Klipsch has earned our loyalty with their products - but does Klipsch respect or even understand the character of this select customer base?  Treating us like children at recess is not very respectful - with all due regard.  Humanity grows from debate whether intellectual or confrontational.  We all now know not to look for that here on these forums and Klipsch is losing some of the best of us for being so myopic.  I do wonder how Paul Klipsch would feel.

• Like 1

No one argued that the thread wasn't political, because that wasn't a point of contention. What was disingenuous were the following insinuations that people were being attacked, that there was name calling, that there were such bad feelings, and that people were being hurt in that thread. None of that applies to the people who were actually posting, but only to people who were not posting, but felt compelled to complain to the moderator of their pain. See Jeff's bullseye on that subject in the Part 2.

People actually involved in the whole thread were smart, adult, careful not to fall into the kind of nasty stuff that is now on the lounge forum with no moderation of any kind, such as death wishes. Not to mention the religion commentary taking place in another thread.

I've no objection to any rules the company chooses. It's absolutely none of my business. Likewise, I don't care who is a moderator, what their duties are, how they do the job. None of my concern. But, I don't like anyone insinuating that I was responsible for their aching emotional pain during an adult conversion with other willing adult members who are, shall I say, extremely forceful. I treated them as adult intellects, and I didn't hear any of them complain.

Yes, the rules say no politics, and I understood that 5 days ago when the thread began just as well as today. But for the past week, the dozen of so people engaged were allowed to be so engaged, and made the assumption, as anyone would, that in this case, since no adult was being injured, and all were enthusiastically participating of their own free will, that it was being tolerated. That toleration was obvious to all, and I made at least two pleas to keep a lid on such things as naming politicians, so that the tolerance would continue.

And then along comes an outsider not involved in the discussion, and a new moderator (new to me) and suddenly a picture is painted that the thread was an orgy of psychic pain, insults, name calling, and rudeness. It was not. That mis-characterization, and the associated assumptions by outsiders not in the thread, was my only beef. Well, until the death wishes.

Wow! I've finally made it to here and agree with everything Mdeneen posted above (haven't read the bullseye ) and do think people's feelings were getting hurt, but not necessarily because of what was written but because some don't care what other people think--That was just my take....

That said, I missed the "death wishes." :huh: WT*?

This forum is a company funded marketing tool, not a soap box.

And the members of this forum the company is marketing to - really cherishes their rights to voice dissent.  In fact that is sort of an American tradition.  Eh?

Any good marketer will tell you, "When the public demands soap, sell soap."

I always thought it was so they could cut down on Customer Service personnel as well as answer sales questions. B)

I always thought it was so they could cut down on Customer Service personnel as well as answer sales questions. B)

Well, you thought wrong, Buck-O!   :o

Well, you thought wrong, Buck-O!   :o

Arggg! Now you're gonna have be believing Klipsch is part of that vast Right Wing Conspiracy since they let that thread go on for so long....MARK, we have a live one!

Edited by tkdamerica

• Administrators

Three rules to keeping an orderly discussion forum:

1. No politics or religion

2. No profanity

3. Be polite

What Klispch seems to forget is that this generation that so avidly supports their products was steeped in freedom of speech and expressed frank, diverse and strident opinions.  We fought that war in Viet Nam in the jungles AND in the streets of this country.  Every member here merits deeper respect than Klipsch seems willing to offer.  Whether intentional or not - this petulant corralling is a bit of an affront.  

Yes, Klipsch has earned our loyalty with their products - but does Klipsch respect or even understand the character of this select customer base?  Treating us like children at recess is not very respectful - with all due regard.  Humanity grows from debate whether intellectual or confrontational.  We all now know not to look for that here on these forums and Klipsch is losing some of the best of us for being so myopic.  I do wonder how Paul Klipsch would feel.

The internet is full of places where one could go to yell at other folks and argue about such things. We don't mind civil arguments/debates. On the contrary, it spurs conversation. If you think we don't respect our forum members, you are mistaken. 

• Like 1