Tube warm-up

It may depend on the amp. My 300B seemed to come into its own after 15 min or so, but the little Sophia Electric I had seemed to sound just fine as soon as it came on. Maybe it has something to do with tube size?

Edited by tromprof

I have a tube in my DAC and it usually takes about 10-15 min to really warm up. I usually play some Electronic Music or Hip Hop in the meantime which arent as affected by the sound quality like actual bands with instruments are with more subtle nuances etc.

• Like 1

Dead ears here but I follow the pre on / amp on; amp off / pre off recommended by Craig and as far as warm up...once the music starts I might hear a difference in the first minute or so but it takes me a few to get the source going. I light the pre and amps then go find an album or disc so that takes a few.

I'll go with the Carl prescription

The one thing I do (right or wrong) is to make sure that the tubes have been lit long enough to stabilize temperature before I turn them off and if, for whatever reason I want to turn them back on I give them at least 5 minutes or more before the power cycle back on. I hand wave over them tubes and if I feel heat I wait a bit.

Edited by USNRET

It depends. On my most critical system I can hear that it takes 20 minutes to get warmed up and smooth. On other systems I can't hear a difference. As a general rule I give it a half hour before I do any critical listening. Shutdown procedure is turning the gain all the way down and wait for 10 minutes before I kill the power. No reason but I like to let the tubes "idle down" before I flick them off.

Idle down?  That makes me wonder... I always figured that some tubes might actually be running cooler when the amp is producing the most and running hotter when it isn't producing any sound... while it is just converting energy into heat instead of music.   I'm assuming this might be correct with some components whether we are talking about a preamp or amp but perhaps someone could help explain what parts are getting warmer or cooler and when.  Perhaps this is also different depending if we are talking about class A or not.   Now I'm curious!