• Moderators

The Q&A is probably just smokescreen & all they do is check your IP Address while you're taking the test. (lol)

Neither time did I take the test did it come up with anything near Texas. It is based on about 15 years of research done by a Harvard professor, of linguistics I believe.

It's all just "The curb"...

"the yard..." if I called it anything, which I don't.

In general, anything 4-lane in WV we refer to as "the interstate."  We have a few freeways but not many.  The "highway" is a two lane road.

+++

The quiz was hot-zoned red in West Virginia, which is a direct hit for me.  The cities were Lexington, KY (closest) Huntsville and Tallahassee, the last two I would not have guessed.

And if y'all are thirsty, you need a glass of POP or a WATER FOUNTAIN. 

The quiz didn't ask this, but you put SAUCE on your hot dog, NOT CHILI (chili is PA and OHIO, and contains BEANS).

• Moderators
It is based on about 15 years of research done by a Harvard professor, of linguistics I believe.

Well it didn't take a Harvard professor of anything to figure out where I was from, I was kind of an easy target. :huh: There were a few question that was a dead giveaway.

Edited by dtel

It's all just "The curb"...

"the yard..." if I called it anything, which I don't.

And if y'all are thirsty, you need a glass of POP or a WATER FOUNTAIN. 

The quiz didn't ask this, but you put SAUCE on your hot dog, NOT CHILI (chili is PA and OHIO, and contains BEANS).

We call them "cokes."

• Like 1

We call them cokes as well. If you ask someone to grab you a coke, they ask what kind. LOL. Dr Pepper? Mt Dew? Sprite?

And chili DOES go on a hot dog. They are called chili dogs. I aint ever heard of a sauce dog.  :D

• Like 3

#3 should have included "emergency lane".  

It knew I was from Kentucky.  The epicenter of the map is right where I'm at but it thought I was from Louisville.  

Speaking of which, it should have asked how do you pronounce "Louisville".  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjypEowybuQ

Humm, since I have lived all over some questions had multiple answers but it has me in Memphis, middle Mississippi and some other southern place. Caught heck in Maine for my pronunciation of ice (izz like ***) and then return to Texas to be harrassed.

The version I took (there may be several) pegs me, correctly, as coming from the New York City area. Actually I grew up on Long Island. I cringe when watching / listening to "Long Island Medium" though. Some of LI accents are from Brooklyn I think.

At least good fellow from Queens recently said I have lost my New York accent (having lived in Chicago since 1975). That was good to hear.

One thing I don't get is that cot and caught are the Shibboleth pointing to Jersey City. The map shows density in NYC and the Great Lakes region.

This sort of analysis has been going on since biblical times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth

Jimmy Breslin, in the "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" tells a story about the French and Sicilians using the test with the word for "bean." IIRC.

WMcD

• Moderators

Dang I hate agreeing with Oldtimer here, I hope its not a new trend developing.  :D Its true, no beans in chili. Period. Now beans and rice is another story and not just accepted here but mandatory.

That's a New Orleans staple!

• Like 1