EPIC FIVE DAYS!

dtel's wife

• Moderators

We were not there an hour when Kevin Harmon pointed me to his 4 wheeler and said go ride, Christy jumped on the back, nervously.  :o  :D  I don't know the outside property so we followed two other 4 wheelers on about a 1.5 hour ride through many trails, some with big puddles and even a few little creeks. didn't know if we would make it at times but Kevin's  bike drove like a Cadillac through anything we tried, I even kept my shoes dry and clean by lifting them up.  It was a good thing we followed, I would have been lost on my own out there by myself considering it's 600+ acres and many trails.

There were probably 10-15 4 wheelers out there and a few of those gator looking things. They were night riding alot,  sometimes until just before sunrise. 

Thanks Kevin, it has been years since we have been on one and it was great fun and was really appreciated !  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

• Like 4

All of you that made up these gifts, ordered the speakers and put the system together for Rodney are just wonderful people.  I can't think of absolutely anything that Rodney would have wanted more than what you delivered!!  Glad you had a great time, and hope to see you again next April.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Geeze Christy, nice tattoo! :)

Now that's funny. She got that the first night she was there and says she has no recollection oh how it got there.

Now Travis, you know "What happens at Rodney's Place stays at Rodney's Place"!

• Like 1

• Moderators

:lol:  :lol: Sorry I couldn't get pic's of him with all the signs, I was holding that big mirror and trying to get pics. There are no pics of anything hung up, well leave that to them to put where they want and I don't want to be responsible for hanging the larger mirror, it's heavy partly because it and the PWK pie logo mirror has metal frames.

Mr. Rodney was happy, and said he was going to use it all to decorate the back wall of the bar. 

We had a couple of spies, who are friends with Rodneys daughter and there regularly, like Kelli with an I. Over the last month or so questioned him on things about the place like what would you like this to be remembered for, he said fishing, so that was the idea for the fish design. They do karaoke sometimes and at one time in the past one of the girls jumped up on the bar and played like she was dancing, so that was another idea for a sign. Other signs were just things he needed like the pool rules sign, it was really need  to go out by the 2 large pools.

There were times in the past where a couple of things came up missing so this was an idea for a different sign. One was just about picking up behind yourself as he and his friends get stuck picking up after everyone, another idea.

The sign about closing the gate was to go out by the gate at the entrance but he want's to decorate the bar with it. The "no freeloading zone " sign came about because Rodney is very generous and people have gone there asking for handouts like gas and money and whatever in the past, and Rodney's friends are tired of him being taken advantage of, that sign was a good idea but will probably do nothing to change that situation ?   

He liked them all and as he read them agreed on what they said was needed to be said, he especially liked the dancing girls sign and laughed.    

All signs were made with Red Cedar and enamel paint and SS wire for hanging and waterproof glue, also sanded and slightly distressed so they don't look quite new, except for the ones which we thought may go outside. They should last even outside if he changes his mind and puts any outside.

The pool sign and Rodneys Place sign is 18"x24", the others are 12"x24". The PWK logo mirror is 20" and the Rodney's Place mirror with the bass inside the Arkansas state shape is 30", both with metal frames and rope to hang them. It was a pain to find something other than a plain frame, or to fancy that we thought may look good in that bar.

The last pic is of the bar (after a long night) for those who did not get to go YET but hopefully will, you will not be sorry

Pic's of the other signs...........

post-9700-0-64840000-1434514105_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-02640000-1434514133_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-02240000-1434514155_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-72800000-1434514182_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-05160000-1434514205_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-47040000-1434514226_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-47840000-1434517848_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

• Moderators

All of you that made up these gifts, ordered the speakers and put the system together for Rodney are just wonderful people.  I can't think of absolutely anything that Rodney would have wanted more than what you delivered!!  Glad you had a great time, and hope to see you again next April.

Jim, we had a great time! Sure hope you make it in April! Rodney is installing camping sites with electricity and water. Of course primitive camping is available with full shower facilities in the club house.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well, Klipsch took care of the speakers because of Trey and Roy's description of how Rodney took care of the Klipsch group when we were there last, they were donated to our group as a present from us and Klipsch. 

Everything else was from people like you (forum members) who were there last time and donated, and everyone who donated afterward. Signs, mirrors and electronics to run the speakers (amp and mixer) were paid for from the donations. Thanks everyone, for everyone there, they know this man was very generous to us and this was just a way to show him we appreciated what he had done for us and the invitation from him to return in the future......which is a very good thing.   :):emotion-19:  :emotion-29:

And YES, hope to see you and everyone else and many more next April. Between now and then there will be much talk about it because there are plans being worked out for the event so hopefully it grows. Dave said he envisions a kind of klipschstock  get together, we told Rodney this and he laughed and said very excitedly great idea, no problem. He loves people to come out and enjoy a good time, he get's fired up about it. A very cool guy. B)

What you said about giving Rodney what he would have wanted is true, Rodney told me he could have went and bought stuff like this to decorate but coming from this group it means so much more and is really special to him and appreciated. As you probably know he is not the kind of guy to just say something to just make you feel good, when he tells you something he means it. And he genuinely liked everything and really appreciated the thought, to the point of almost being overwhelmed. That's alot to see from a guy like him, he's a tough old dude, I surely wouldn't want him mad at me. :o  :ph34r:  :D

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

Awesome. The little get-together at the Super 8 year-before-last has really morphed. The employee lunch, the plant tour, and then Rodney's hospitality...What's the next step? We hope to see you all there to find out.

Great job, dtel & Christy. Thanks, Dave & Trey & Roy & Rodney.

SSH

Edited by ssh
  • Like 5

When Steve and I were looking for a venue last year I asked Trey Cannon and he suggested Rodney.  After making contact with Rodney it took me six weeks before vetting him to the attendee list as I had a really hard time believing he was the real deal.  In fact, if I had not been raised and went to college near the Arkansas Delta wetlands and had experience with the culture I might have passed. 

These people are among the best this country has to offer.  There is no overstatement in the above concerning the location, hospitality, and handshake mentality of Rodney, his friends and family.  Rodney has a better understanding of that country than anyone I've ever seen.  He paints with water.  The holding ponds and lakes he's constructed cause an amplification of the natural environment that even Texas A&M's best wouldn't be able to match.  A natural wonderland. 

That said, he's basically offered this Forum community a permanent home for a yearly gathering.  Just be prepared to pull your own weight...not be cause he expects it, but because it's the right thing to do. 

Steve and I had a lot of fun putting this years event together and are very proud to have been able to lay the foundation for something what will probably eventually become known and be of great benefit to the heritage of PWK.  I assure you his spirit was there, and if it were 20 years ago he'd have been kicked back in a chair next to Rodney holding court.

You have fair warning.  The dates are set, mark your calendars.  We have a new team of organizers next year so I'll be sitting it out in an advisory capacity...and everyone knows what my advice is worth so that won't be much.  :D

From year one  to this year we tripled from about 15 to about 45.  How about doing it again?  150 would be quite a party.  Looking forward to seeing you all!

NEXT YEAR IN HOPE! 

Dave

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thanks Dave, it's so true.

And thanks to the first 15 people who got this restarted the year before, It gave a whole new life to something that should have never started to die off in the first place.  :emotion-55:  Thank You 

Trey has done an unbelievable job in years past but was really working himself almost to death getting it done, it was crazy how he worked himself almost 24 hours a day setting everything up, he needs to now just come and enjoy it and take a break for a change. Thank You Trey for everything in past years and opening up the chance for everyone to be at Rodney's place in the future. All of this is and was a very big deal for all of us !

Also thanks to you Dave for spending so much time talking with Rodney to try to explain to him what we try to accomplish for these events and also what he likes to do also, it really fits perfectly and could not be a better place for all of us, with room to grow to crazy numbers.  

Others who has not had the chance to meet Rodney and how things work out there may get tired of hearing some of this, but for everyone who went they surely know how nice a fit Rodney's Place is for these get together's.  It's not fancy or overly done in any way but very comfortable and an easy going place to just have a good time and listen to some music, talk and have a good time, it's a perfect match for everyone.

Like it was said this past weekend If you don't have a good time and feel comfortable at Rodney's it your own fault. :o It's hard to not have a good time there, just sit, relax and watch everyone talking, laughing and having fun, it will convert you and before you know it your smiling and part of it.  :D

• Moderators

Rodney messaged me last night and asked me to pose this question, "How many of you would be interested in camping sites with water and electricity for the event in April of next year?"  Answering the question doesn't commit you to attend, it just gives us an estimate of the approximate number of camping site hook ups Rodney can install without it being overkill!  Of course, there is ample primitive camping spaces available for everyone.  

Six hundred and ten acres assures everyone of privacy when needed or wanted.  The clubhouse is equipped with multiple restrooms and private showers.  Staying on the property provides a nice opportunity to visit into the later hours of the night and not be concerned about possible road blocks between Hope and Bodcaw.  

We are hoping this grows into an annual event where wives and children feel welcome.  If enough interest is shown we will be organizing activities such as fishing tournaments, volleyball, softball and other sporting activities.  Everyone is welcome to stay longer than the three days the annual event is scheduled for.  As of now, we are contemplating the dates of April 15-17, 2016 for scheduled activities.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'll be staying in town. The wife and I very rarely get time alone, and staying up till 4-5AM isn't in our blood (whether by choice or those thin tent fabric walls not blocking out the party enough)

Of course, where you choose to stay is completely up to you. :wub:    I'm sure the Super 8 and/or Holiday Inn Express will accommodate us with a block of rooms.  The rooms at Super 8 would average about $50 a night with the rooms at the Holiday Inn Express averaging $100 more or less.  Super 8 seemed to meet most of our needs at a reasonable price including continental breakfast.  Of course, the accommodations at the Holiday Inn Express are a little nicer, with continental breakfast also being offered.

A few people had expressed interested in bringing campers/RVs next year. I've actually had a few members message me for more details on RV or primitive camping.

Rodney's long term plans include thirty camper/RV sites equipped with water and electricity.  Those sites could be used by tents or RV/campers.  Several people have already messaged me asking about camping spaces and we are just trying to gauge interest in how many hook up sites we may need for April.  Of course, primitive camping is allowed any where on the property.  

Additionally, Rodney plans to move more cabins into the "Clampetville" area and run electrical service to them before April. There was also mention of moving the kitchen area to the new addition to the clubhouse and making the kitchen area a bunkhouse.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are taking measures to cut hotel costs for those who may not be able to afford it, but still want to come.   We are hoping to have a lot of "housing" options available to accommodate anyone that wants to stay on the property!!! :D

• Like 3

• Moderators

It'a only about a 2.5 hr drive for me.  I may have to make the trek.

I'm not even sure it's 2.5 hours for you.  We made it from Rodney's Place to my daughter's home in Ruston in about two hours!  In any event, be sure to follow this thread and others as we post more info.  Anyone that lives within driving distance is crazy if they don't make next year's event! :D

The food, fun and fellowship can not possibly be conveyed through our posts!  Awesome people to meet us upon our arrival and they go out of their way to make us feel welcome!  Rodney's group of close friends are some of the finest people I have ever met!

Rodney's new system rocks!  We were all impressed!  

If you choose to bring your own four wheeler's, by all means to do.  Most of the four wheelers in the pics belonged to Kevin Harmon and his buddies!  A few of the locals house their four wheelers there.  

Refer to my post above for a few more details about accommodations.  We will continue communicating with Rodney on his progress with the cabins and camping hookups.  In the meantime, round up some camping gear and plan on making the trek!  You won't be sorry.

• Like 2

The drive is worth it. 3 hours from Dallas, 6 hours from Austin. If you're a night owl, you can howl till dawn. If you're morning person, watch the sun rise and doing some fishing or just sit back and enjoy mother nature.  We saw a colt that had been born just a couple hours before. Mama was very protective and the new born's legs were still a little wobbly. Rodney's Yorkies were really cute too.

Edited by Wardsweb
  • Like 3