The Doctor Will See You Now.......

Gilbert

It's evil is what it is.

Although it isn't quite as bad, there are many surgeons performing unnecessary surgery, and ordinary physicians prescribing drugs unnecessarily all for the same reason. Money, prestige and stuff. (and likely an ex-wife or ten)

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. 1Tim6:10 niv

• Like 3

Doctors are an interesting group of people.  Quite often they complete the grueling education, get into practice and are disillusioned with realities of the medical business.  Some do turn to their dark side.  This is certainly a really disgusting example.  But every time you're at the dentist I can assure you they will recommend a procedure that you do not need.  They justify their 'suggestions' as striving for dental perfection as opposed to merely functional and pain free dentition.  Who doesn't want that brilliant white perfect smile?

On the other side there are some real inspirations out there.  One I had the honor of working with one who was from the Island of Sri Lanka.  The country of India held a lottery in Sri Lanka - 1st prize was a medical education in India.  This man was one of the hill people on that island and he won that lottery.   Once done with his medical education in India he migrated to America, retook his boards, went back for specialty residencies and became a board certified neonatal cardiologist.  I swear the man never slept.  He reveled in his profession and gave 100% - 1000% of the time.  We did several research projects together.  And I know docs I would not trust to tie my shoes.  I've witnessed death at their incompetence.

Edited by oscarsear

In my brief encounters with doctors they insatiate the atmosphere around you into a mezmionic fog of total understanding. Translation---they don't understand and we don't understand so lets go forward and do it anyway.  All the while the money meter is ticking away. You want to keep things simple when you see a doctor like my knee requires replacement Doc can you do it and how much is it?

JJK

Even though I am a Type I Diabetic, I refuse to see a doctor about it. I acquire insulin legally and a lot cheaper than the standard CVS or Walgreens stores. And the last 19-years I have been doing fine overall. I've even gotten up to a more "normal" weight of 145 lbs. (for being 5'8") after being underweight most of my life.

All that being said, every time I do go to a doctor for something totally unrelated (a sprained wrist for instance) they don't even want to know about the wrist. They want to start Diabetes education, regular 3-month visits, etc, etc. You can just see them start to salivate for the constant billing they can give me/insurance carrier.

The old lady told the nurse, God will take care of me.  The nurse said he will be right in since he is finishing up with the other patient. :huh:

There are bad eggs in all walks of life.  Health care is expensive and many of the test done are to confirm a diagnosis.  Twenty or thirty years ago, the test may not have been done but, without tort reform, the doc's have to cover their a$$ from malpractice.

• Like 1

My doctor is the kind who will meet you at his office after hours on a weekend to give you what you really need out of his samples cabinet instead of waiting in his office on a Monday. He told me once that the insurance companies would pretty much label him out of compliance. I will really hate to see him retire. He knows a lot of medical stuff is only to sell more pharmaceuticals. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

The old lady told the nurse, God will take care of me. The nurse said he will be right in since he is finishing up with the other patient. :huh:

There are bad eggs in all walks of life. Health care is expensive and many of the test done are to confirm a diagnosis. Twenty or thirty years ago, the test may not have been done but, without tort reform, the doc's have to cover their a$$ from malpractice.

I believe 38 states have enacted "tort reform" on medical malpractice cases by implementing damage award caps and other measures.

I believe the following states do NOT have any types of caps, either because their state constitution forbids it or because their courts have struck down such limits as unconstitutional:

AL,AZ,AR,GA,IL,KY,NH,MO,OH,PA,WA,and WY.

There is an excellent law review article on this subject you can locate by google by searching for new York law review unintended consequences of malpractice damages. It was written in 2005 but has an excellent history and discussion of how it evolved and what the effects have been. It is free to download from the NYU Law Review site.

There are in fact bad apples in every occupation and profession. There is outright fraud and mistreatment as in the case of the doctor the subject of this post. There are also people who were once great but for whatever reason have become incompetent and should not be practicing, or sometimes, as with any human endeavor, there arr people make mistakes that are found to be below a certain standard.

Unfortunately, in medicine, such mistakes can be catastrophic.

But giving people chemo for the treatment of a form of carcinoma they didn't even have is beyond the pale.

Travis

• Moderators

Even though I am a Type I Diabetic, I refuse to see a doctor about it. I acquire insulin legally and a lot cheaper than the standard CVS or Walgreens stores. And the last 19-years I have been doing fine overall. I've even gotten up to a more "normal" weight of 145 lbs. (for being 5'8") after being underweight most of my life.

All that being said, every time I do go to a doctor for something totally unrelated (a sprained wrist for instance) they don't even want to know about the wrist. They want to start Diabetes education, regular 3-month visits, etc, etc. You can just see them start to salivate for the constant billing they can give me/insurance carrier.

I think that model works great for you. You are educated and intelligent enough to be disciplined about checking your levels, and keeping up with a medically developed and effective treatment.

Most people are not. They do not keep up, or quit taking their medicine, or are not sophisticated enough to become aware of known better advancements. Or, worse, they go to a quack thinking they are fine.

The late great BB King used to do PSA television spots to remind them to get screened, to monitor, and take shots as directed.

I hope you have an annual eye exam, with dilated pupils, to check for the presence of diabetic retinal changes.  Even when well controlled these will eventually occur and, in their earliest manifestation, may not cause any visual symptoms.  If you wait until you are visually symptomatic the situation may be very difficult to deal with.

Maynard 

Doctors generally are only able to diagnose as well as you are able to describe your symptoms.   I've been lucky in that my doctors have been good.  I credit my current doctor with recognizing a symptom I came into his office with in diagnosing a serious problem.  He saved my life.  Most doctors are good.  Most cops are good.  Most people are good.  It's too bad we form opinions on a group based on the actions of a few.