Klipschorns and never ending mysteries of wives

YK Thom

The old adage, just when you think you've seen it all...

If you are like me and have been married a couple decades you know what I'm talking about. Wives never cease to amaze.

I was sitting at the table reading some posts and was looking at some Khorns. My wife walks by, takes a peek and says " those look nice, who is selling them?" She didn't realize they were speakers. She thought they were (in her words - lovely cabinets). Told her what they were and showed some other photos. She likes them because of the corner placements and looks and dosent mind if I get a pair!

Wow. I showed her LaScalas and the Belles which I thought she would like. Nope...too fat, meaning wide.

Just about fell off my chair. Of all the speakers she would like, the biggest most monstrous powerhouse out there.

So now the search begins. Young guys, never assume you know anything about women; After 28 years I still get blown away.

• Like 15

I told her how much new one are. She suggested I keep an eye open for a used pair. Funny enough, hearing how much new ones were seemed to give her an appreciation of the value of spending a few thousand used.

• Like 2

My wife finally accepted the Khorns I brought home and put in the living room. I got mine at such a good price, I pretty much put my foot down and just brought them home. But she really appreciates having a speaker that is out of the way, in the corner and also provides a prominent display area for books, pictures and other trinkets atop the Khorn.  

Probably going to get them re-veneered this winter. She will surely sign off on that purchase as it is sort of like interior decorating. 

• Like 3

Pre-approved by the wife for K-horns.  Strike while the iron is hot!

I took the opposite approach.  My wife found out that I had bought mine when she saw them in the living room.  She didn't talk to me for a week.  She warmed up to them when she realized that they take away less usable floor space than the Cornwalls that they replaced, and the top provides a nice surface for placing decorative stuff.  She also likes the way they sound.

• Like 5

Great story, however, make sure she knows one of the cardinal rules....no plants, flowerpots or drinks on the speakers.  It is continually amazing to me how many speakers have water stains....

Good advice, she is fortunately more prone to candles and such.

Going to keep an eye on Alberta and maybe Saskatchewan over the winter and into next spring. We are moving into a new place the end of August so her priorities will come first. She has some new furniture plans for the dining room.

• Like 2

The Klipschorn is great because they tuck into corners and take up almost no floor space despite their gargantuan size.  Get a set with a nice wood veneer and they do look like fine furniture.  Many people don't even realize they are speakers.  Several years ago I had a cousin visit and he told me my CF-4s were the largest speakers he had ever seen. I pointed to the Khorns in the corners and told him "those are bigger."  He replied in disbelief "those are speakers?!?!"

Before I married my wife, I explained to her my passion for music and great sounding audio equipment.  I asked her if she was one of those women that wouldn't allow their spouse to keep such equipment in the house and she told me she would never ask me to give up something that was so important to me.  I decided to marry her.  It probably helped that she also likes music and appreciated the sound quality.  She has put up with a lot of my audio equipment over the years and has even gone on several long distance trips to pick up Klipsch speakers.  In the last house we owned, I didn't have a place to set up my system and I had a ton of gear.  So much, that I had to store four Klipschorns, a Belle, and three audio racks in our master bedroom.  I didn't get one complaint in the four years that we lived there.

• Like 5

The Klipschorn is great because they tuck into corners and take up almost no floor space despite their gargantuan size.  Get a set with a nice wood veneer and they do look like fine furniture.  Many people don't even realize they are speakers.  Several years ago I had a cousin visit and he told me my CF-4s were the largest speakers he had ever seen. I pointed to the Khorns in the corners and told him "those are bigger."  He replied in disbelief "those are speakers?!?!"

Before I married my wife, I explained to her my passion for music and great sounding audio equipment.  I asked her if she was one of those women that wouldn't allow their spouse to keep such equipment in the house and she told me she would never ask me to give up something that was so important to me.  I decided to marry her.  It probably helped that she also likes music and appreciated the sound quality.  She has put up with a lot of my audio equipment over the years and has even gone on several long distance trips to pick up Klipsch speakers.  In the last house we owned, I didn't have a place to set up my system and I had a ton of gear.  So much, that I had to store four Klipschorns, a Belle, and three audio racks in our master bedroom.  I didn't get one complaint in the four years that we lived there.

Your wife is a keeper for sure!

• Like 3

Great story, however, make sure she knows one of the cardinal rules....no plants, flowerpots or drinks on the speakers.  It is continually amazing to me how many speakers have water stains....

I thought they came from the factory with those "decorative" rings!??!! I guess it may be the price range I look for, but rarely see any without them.

I started topping almost all wood surfaces with glass many years ago.

If you have quality furniture, it deserves protection from watered plants, candles, girlfriends, (ex) wives, inconsiderate friends, etc.

It makes dusting/cleaning quick and easy and costs less than those decorative rings.

• Like 1

This is one of the few subjects i will Never have a need to worry about.

When we got this 5Bd room monster house, i told her id put together a system that was hers, in the living room.

This was way before i started on the Mancave audio projects.

She has 89 Khorns running 85Wpc, KT88 Mono blocks via Toslink to Pc.

Since her system has been up and running, i can buy/sell/swap/trade anything/anytime/anywhere, as proven with this recent Mo road trip.

Her words: you do what you want out there in the Cave, Touch my system and Die :o

• Like 2