Chorus fabs - pretty

Matthews

"My question, will a longer port tube enable the Chorus to dig just a little deeper? "

Yes, try 7" to start. Flared ports need to be longer, and are probably not needed here.

"I have some Chorus I's from '88. Been saving up for the big B.C. upgrades, stumbled upon this post and thought hmmm cheap experiment. I walked over to our shipping dept., grabbed a 4" mailing tube, measured the OD. Wouldn't you know it... exactly what I needed. I cut two down to 7" in length, wedged them into the ports of one of the speakers and put in a song with some pretty heavy bass. It took all of about 3 seconds to confirm significantly more bass coming from the speaker with the modified ports. Now, is 7" the ideal length and is a mailing tube the ideal material to use? I don't know, but it was affordable and it works! Spread the word."

Edited by djk
  • Like 2

What will you guys use to cut the sides, top and bottom?

"wvu", Mookie is about a 2 hour drive from me and he is doing all of the cutting.  I took him one of the old cabinets this past weekend so he would have the correct dimensions.  To cut the top, bottom and sides, he is using an industrial size/grade table saw.  For the initial cabinet build, ALL credit goes to "Mookie".  Once I get the cabs back, they will be treated to edge veneer for the exposed plywood ends, a fine sanding and many many coats of gloss polyurethane. 

"I have some Chorus I's from '88. Been saving up for the big B.C. upgrades, stumbled upon this post and thought hmmm cheap experiment. I walked over to our shipping dept., grabbed a 4" mailing tube, measured the OD. Wouldn't you know it... exactly what I needed. I cut two down to 7" in length, wedged them into the ports of one of the speakers and put in a song with some pretty heavy bass. It took all of about 3 seconds to confirm significantly more bass coming from the speaker with the modified ports. Now, is 7" the ideal length and is a mailing tube the ideal material to use? I don't know, but it was affordable and it works! Spread the word."

This is awesome, "djk" :)  -  thank you for performing your experiment. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Mailing tube may work but i prefer to use PVC pipe.

What you do is heat the ends with a heat gun and slowly form your flare by resting your pipe on a larger cup/bowl (that won't melt on you) and letting your cup/bowl form your flare shape for you and after using a flat washer from the back on your widest part of the flare with the end on a flat surface to flatten out the end for easy mounting.

This may be avoided by buying some flared ports at the store but if you like a little challenge and want to learn something new give it a try, works great and PVC pipe is cheap in case you mess you're first one or even two up.

Edit. Forgot to add. Do not include the flared portion to your port length.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

Mookies surgery table - won't be long now :D

attachicon.gifthe table (Small).jpg

Very impressive shop, Mookie!!!  Thank you for having me.

Re: The table in the picture

What are we looking at exactly? 

I was cutting some aluminum parts when Matt took that photo. If I threw some sawdust on it, it would have looked more familiar to you.

• Like 2

I was cutting some aluminum parts when Matt took that photo. If I threw some sawdust on it, it would have looked more familiar to you.

Will you use the same bit?  Sorry, I'm CNC knowledge challenged.

Normally switch between metal and wood without changing the bits. I will probably put a new one in for these cuts as Matt is looking for "pretty". A bit that hasn't cut any metal yet will give a slightly cleaner cut. Sometimes switch to an MW bit which doesn't "burn" the wood as much. This table has a tool changer so I can switch on the fly, (kinda cool). The drivers are recessed on the Chorus (different depths for the woofer vs the mid and tweet) so there needs to be some dados that will use different bits.

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

...and the sawdust has begun to fly.  Mookie messaged this photo for me today.  I am SO excited about this project.  Even more, ever so Grateful to Sir Mookie for helping me with this project that would be far beyond my grasp, left to my own devices.

post-36834-0-11320000-1443050873_thumb.j

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

Even more, ever so Grateful to Sir Mookie for helping me with this project that would be far beyond my grasp, left to my own devises.

attachicon.gifcuts.jpg

Sir Mookie?  That merely requires a decree from the queen.

The Pope's in town.  Why not skip the small steps and move directly to sainthood?

Two miracles are required.  B)

• Like 1

Cubs are going to make the playoffs, one step closer to a second miracle.

As far "sir", I believe in this case it is due to age. I got about 20+ on Matt.

The Cubs are indeed going to make the playoffs, Sir Mookie.  The only thing in doubt at this point is will they have the 1-game playoff at home or at Pittsburgh.  They've got the Pirates at home this weekend to decide that.

They are the hottest team in baseball as they are crushing all the other TOP teams in the NL, and in a 1-game playoff they have the single best pitcher in baseball right now in Jake Arrieta which would make the Cubs the favorite in any 1-game playoff.

But come on, you have got to be a Cardinal's fan.  Do you believe in miracles?    B)

Edited by wvu80