New hardware

John Warren

• Moderators

I want to remind everyone that in most cases moderators do not act alone. We work as a team. Almost all warnings are discussed amongst the moderating team prior to warning points being issued.

The points can only be issued by one moderator and not the team. Sometimes the responsibility of issuing points simply falls on whichever moderator happens to be online when the situation occurs.

If a member is continuously "inciting the masses" they are placed on the moderating teams "radar"! At that point we make decisions as a team on what action to take should the offenses continue. So, just because I may have issued points it doesn't mean the other moderators didn't "see the light"!

Didn't mean to suggest that, well actually I guess I did. Three moderators were posting in that thread without saying anything. In my view you were the first to confront the directly in the thread.

But I do understand you work together, and Dave discussed his thoughts in there about points.

• Like 1

I was disappointed in the way the thread was handled. I contacted a moderator very early about the proxy posting and emoticons and predicted a train wreck. I also explained the rules that are supposed to be used by vendors when going into each other's threads. I did that one out in the open. John is good people. He didn't deserve this.

• Like 1

I contacted a moderator very early about the proxy posting and emoticons and predicted a train wreck

Been there before, damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Lock the thread and punish the OP.  Let it continue and degrade.  Personally I like to give reminders and steer the thread away from the personal and back to on topic.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Proxy postings and emoticons aren't against the rules.   Smattered amongst the angst was some good technical debate and many members wanted the discussion to continue.

Dean, the best way to contact ALL moderators is to report the post as opposed to contacting moderators individually.  We have the opportunity to look at issues together.  We all respond differently to certain situations.  Reporting the post will allow moderators to discuss amongst ourselves the collective best course of action.

Okay.

You don't have to lock the thread, but a warning to the offending party is always a good idea.

Carl, Al was sending information for Lee to post, and then posting the emoticons. This is a form of "trolling" and was designed to do two things: trash the thread and discredit John's work. It was malicious in its intent - as the later posts clearly revealed.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I contacted a moderator very early about the proxy posting and emoticons and predicted a train wreck

Been there before, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Lock the thread and punish the OP. Let it continue and degrade. Personally I like to give reminders and steer the thread away from the personal and back to on topic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Proxy postings and emoticons aren't against the rules. Smattered amongst the angst was some good technical debate and many members wanted the discussion to continue.

Carl,

I have seen your approach work many, many times in the past. In my opinion it has gotten many threads back on track and saved them.

I think it is a function of who you are dealing with and whether the have a sincere desire to to make a positive contribution. Others have an agenda and there is nothing you can do.

Locking a thread that never should have been started in the first place is very appropriate in my opinion. This is wasn't one of those situations. A gentle reminder, which was done,, then discussion about warning points, which was done, some constructive advice from other posters to get back on track, which was done. And when that was done. In the rare instances where you have people who just wont listen you give the nine points. It is not even being banned.

What do parents learn very early on if you do not impose the consequences you say you will if X happens? They continue the behavior. These are adults here, but you will always have some who don't care what the consequences are. If warning points had not been given, after multiple warnings, it would have sent the worst possible message.

What is very telling is what the response is to earning points. It has already been explained by you and others that they mean almost nothing until you get to 10. But I have heard people have quit because they receive a single point. I think that is a pretty tail tale sign they are unreasonable.

I think the thread should remain open and John allowed to respond about his design in the high road fashion he has been, and the posts that were attacks on him or others, or attempts to sabotage him should be deleted. Amy learned early on that threads like this get linked in other forums. She has deleted threads involving ALK for this reason. The OP doesn't deserve that, and I don't think Klipsch wants this "drama" on here.

10 years of drama with that person who received warning points have been linked in this thread. He is a Klipsch Basher. I could see trying to give him a chance after 9 years to see if he has changed, but he didn't. He is a Klipsch Basher. Why on earth would anyone want back hand slaps at Klipsch to remain on here?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Okay.

You don't have to lock the thread, but a warning to the offending party is always a good idea.

Carl, Al was sending information for Lee to post, and then posting the emoticons. This is a form of "trolling" and was designed to do two things: trash the thread and discredit John's work. It was malicious in its intent - as the later posts clearly revealed.

I agree with that Dean. John's post was fine, and he didn't deserve that, or the personal attacks you received.

I also feel you were correct to report it. I dont think locking in this instance would be the right call if the OP doesn't engage in the mud slinging. It would only punish the OP.

I think the proxy and the emoticon poster should have been warned right then and there. People who get a warning in the thread typically either acknowledge they were wrong, disengage, respectively disagree about being wrong but will abide, or melt down.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It is my personal opinion that if someone responds to warning points with a PM requesting they be banned, we should oblige! It is obvious to me when such a request is made the person is not capable of self banning by simply not signing in.

Edited by dtel's wife
  • Like 1

It is my personal opinion that if someone responds to warning points with a PM requesting they be banned, we should oblige! It is obvious to me when such a request is made the person is not capable of self banning by simply not signing in.

You did him a favor Mrs.dtel.  That man has real issues.  The whole thread was a witch hunt from page one and its a shame we as a group allowed it to go on that long.  I think there were many here like myself that wanted to chime in and tell him to kick rocks, but sometimes when you wrestle with pigs you're gonna get muddy no matter what.  You and the other mods gave him plenty of rope and we all just sat back and watched him hang himself with it.

Its a shame for him to direct comments to the entire community here as know nothing peons, but at least a few outsiders or newcomers now know who they don't want to do business with at all costs.

BTW, I do think below his Avatar it should say "Banned."   Once again

Edited by Max2
  • Like 2

• Moderators

You did him a favor Mrs.dtel.  That man has real issues.  The whole thread was a witch hunt from page one and its a shame we as a group allowed it to go on that long.  I think there were many here like myself that wanted to chime in and tell him to kick rocks, but sometimes when you wrestle with pigs you're gonna get muddy no matter what.  You and the other mods gave him plenty of rope and we all just sat back and watched him hang himself with it.

Its a shame for him to direct comments to the entire community here as know nothing peons, but at least a few outsiders or newcomers now know who they don't want to do business with at all costs.

Thank you Max. It's always with a heavy heart that I issue warning points, and even more when I ask for someone to be banned. That being said, discussions have recently been made about editing the posts in this thread. I'm requesting that the thread and the posts remain in their entirety to not only serve as a warning about inappropriate behavior, but also as a record of the way people choose to conduct their business affairs on a public forum.

• Like 4

Thank you Max. It's always with a heavy heart that I issue warning points, and even more when I ask for someone to be banned. That being said, discussions have recently been made about editing the posts in this thread. I'm requesting that the thread and the posts remain in their entirety to not only serve as a warning about inappropriate behavior, but also as a record of the way people choose to conduct their business affairs on a public forum.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak (post) and remove all doubt. 

Absolutely, please don't remove any posts. They form part of the record, the record of someone who consistently engages in condescending behavior and makes disparaging remarks about the work of others (without provocation). Also, if you remove posts, it ruins the continuity of the thread, and no one knows what's going on when they read it - you lose context, and at that point, you might as well delete the whole thing.

• Like 1

"It's like déjà vu all over again." 

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

Dean,

I'm surprised you'd have the nerve to post a link to a ten-year-old thread which, for the most part, covers what has been discussed in this thread ad nauseam Ten years has intervened since those posts and what have you and John learned about network design? Apparently nothing as you both are bringing up the same misstatements, misconceptions and opinions.  

Back then, Al was a little more reserved in his posts and was simply trying to educate, correct your false statements/premises and set the record straight on how and why he designs his triplexers the way he does. The tenor of his latest posts are due, in part, to the fact that he's tired of explaining what you and John failed to learn ten years ago.

Now you be sure to run to the nearest Moderator and complain that Lee is picking on you again. :)

A friendly note to the powers that watch over our discourse: If calling a fellow forum member a sock puppet and posting the symbol for effyou (it's still up on the web site last time I checked) and a poor taste reference to Belle Klipsch is not an example of "condescending, rude behavior.", then this post should pass your zero tolerance sniff test.  :)

Lee