Things from the past that are gone and you dont know why because they were great?

Max2

playing with and eating candy cigarettes

mmmmm...candy cigarettes. 

Yes, what a great lesson and lead in for our youngsters.....

Eh, I never started smoking.  I remember them just being a long cylinder of gum coated in powder and wrapped in paper so that the powder would come out in a puff of "smoke" when you blew through them. 

Well, yea, I know that, but my point was that you may be one of the few that didn't start smoking when those were very popular, and readily available.  Don't even know if you can buy them anymore....probably so.

Don't really want to create a smoking/non-smoking debate here.

Eh, I never started smoking. I remember them just being a long cylinder of gum coated in powder and wrapped in paper so that the powder would come out in a puff of "smoke" when you blew through them.

Same here.  The ends were dyed red like they were lit and when you pulled one out of the pack a whole row came out.  You just broke one off of the row.  I also liked the banana flavored cigar gum as well.  Neither of them led to my smoking nor did a smoking father and brothers.

Eh, I never started smoking. I remember them just being a long cylinder of gum coated in powder and wrapped in paper so that the powder would come out in a puff of "smoke" when you blew through them.

Same here.  The ends were dyed red like they were lit and when you pulled one out of the pack a whole row came out.  You just broke one off of the row.  I also liked the banana flavored cigar gum as well.  Neither of them led to my smoking nor did a smoking father and brothers.

me neither...but, that beef jerky bong may have been an influence. 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

How many of you believed the odds were very high your death would occur in WWIII?  Many of my generation simply assumed it.

I guess I didn't realize you were quite that old. Seems like you'd have to be what, around age 15 when the war started to believe this? Age 90?

EDIT: I'm going blind, thought that was WW2, not 3.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Which reminds me of another bit of related nostalgia...  Nothing but the best gifts for your family and friends. 

Dave

Oh my, Dave, that's a good one.  If there was ever an example of the tobacco industry's complete disrespect for the public, that would be the ad.....

And now this is no more. 

Hef says no more nude women in my magazine.   I think this cover was fitting for a parting note on the mag. If its too risqué, my apologies and just let me know or remove yourself mods.

62946.jpeg

And now this is no more. 

Hef says no more nude women in my magazine.   I think this cover was fitting for a parting note on the mag. If its too risqué, my apologies and just let me know or remove yourself mods.

62946.jpeg

You mean they are going the politically correct route?

JJK

And now this is no more. 

62946.jpeg

JJK

Might as well fire the staff tomorrow and lock the doors.

And now this is no more. 

62946.jpeg

All of the moderating team has studied this carefully.  .5 warning points, deferred adjudication. 

Dave

• Like 2

(snip)... When I lived on, and later near, a Canadian Forces Base (a CFB), we could hang out at the community centre every evening and have cheap pop and fries, plus there would be a dance every Saturday evening. The "record bar" (a large locked cabinet on wheels) would be rolled out and its turntables would spin out the music from the collection of LPs and 45s in it. The DJ would be one of the older teens.

...(respectful Snip, I just wanted to reference the post)

Wow, what a great story (the entire post).  I had never heard that about youth activities on the Canada Forces Bases, there's a lesson to be learned there.  Thanks for sharing.

The community centre was a multi-function building. There were two large rooms, one on each side. One side was for adults, which was a pub, basically, and the other side was for teens, and of course there was no alcohol on that side.

Occasionally, we'd have a local band come in and perform for the Saturday night dance. The Saturday nights were popular enough that a few teens from nearby communities would come to enjoy the dance, so we got to meet some girls we'd never seen before. That was cool.

And now this is no more. 

62946.jpeg

JJK

Might as well fire the staff tomorrow and lock the doors.

I suspect the last few women featured will be the last to go.  :)

Jim, I distinctly remember Ronald Reagan sucking on a cigarette and talking about how all his doctor friends smoked Chesterfields because they never caused a cough.

Sheesh.  Wonder if he ever had any guilt about that in later times.

Dave

My doctor has that Reagan poster on the wall of his office.  Interesting that Reagan became a crusader against the youth drug culture ... I wonder if he was smoking cigarettes at the time.