Things from the past that are gone and you dont know why because they were great?

Max2

Max2, on 06 Oct 2015 - 5:17 PM, said:

dtel, on 06 Oct 2015 - 5:03 PM, said:

The 70's.....I know that sounds crazy but

dtel and Tarheel win  !!!!!!

Bring them back! 

Im notifying the wife right now

Tarheel, on 06 Oct 2015 - 5:15 PM, said:

Long haired hippie girls with peasant skirts and no undies.

If my reality was only as good as my memory, things would have been perfect.

At least in the Midwest, Vietnam notwithstanding, I think the 60's culture that started on the West Coast, really didn't arrive until the 70's,

• Like 1

Human Customer Service on the phone. Dial a number, a human answers, listens to your request, connects you to the person/department that can help. Today, I can't think of a single company that has customer service. 

My company does. And it is not a profit center. Although we hope the good will generates more sales. :)

Edited by babadono
  • Like 1

We bought a Sony 19 inch tv back in 1982 I think it was from Woolco not sure. But that thing was perfect I gave it away and as far as I know it still works.

Then we had one of [1979] those big Sony's 26 inch console like the one on poltergeist. I was trying to find a dumpster and this kid wanted it. I told him it did work but had been sitting out in the rain probably not working now. He came back said it working perfect I told him its yours buddy. Sony stuff now I would not even take if you paid me.

Then my mom got a Philco [Ford] TV and Refrigerator back in 1970s maybe late 60s I think. Biggest pieces of junk ever made. The fridge caught on fire twice the tv color never same two days in a row.

So older was not always better....     Rick

Edited by ricktate

Dave, if I'd known you also lived in Singapore, I would have liked you more :) ....we will have to swap stories/locations/etc. sometime....

I will say this for anyone that's never heard it, and it's true.....Do you know what is the national sport of Singapore?.....

Eating.

And that's not a slam either....Easily the best and most diverse food I've ever had.

Absolutely true.  Sweet and sour fish from Fatty's brought to you fried whole and about 3 pounds, then split open with a might "Crack" and release of wonderful steam and smells.  The noodle place on An Seang Hill with the marvelous almond flavored fresh soy milk.  Serangoon road with all the fresh curry powders in large jars for scooping up into a bag...and even better, the eating places with large banana leaves for plates they'd continually keep dumping more food on.  Rota prata, fresh from the grill with sweet, thick, Malaysian coffee sweetened with condensed buffalo milk.  Icy bubor chacha for dissert.  Duck!  Starting with the platter of "spare parts" and ending with nothing left but the feathers.  Fish head curry...and watching a skilled Singaporean put a whole fish head in their mouths, work it around for a bit, and withdraw a skull.  Endless varieties!  My boss at NUS was a Haka Chinese, a rather taciturn bunch.  He'd dryly say "Chinese people eat everything with four legs but table, everything that flies but airplane, and everything that swims but submarine."  Sea cucumber?  Bit rubbery for me... 

Miss the food a lot... 

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 2

Im younger so:

Being in Jr High and logging on to Napster for the first time and thinking, OMG I can get  all this for Free!!!

Watching the little AOL guy go through the 3 steps to get on dial up internet so I can troll the original AOL forums with my friends...

Mariokart 64.

• Like 1

Boy scouts???

Girls scouts???...are they around anymore or am I just living in different circles....

Saturday morning cartoons

Drive-inns...definitely miss those.. :mellow:...Ive had a dream of opening my own recently. 

The only arcade i know of is the Huge/Mega arcade at DowtownDisney that costs like 80$ to get in.

SUMMER CAMP...I know those are still around but i miss it.

3 wheelers Rule!!! :excl:  

Peanuts in OrangeSoda?????.....WWWHHAATTT never came close to hearing of that....I'm totally trying it though, thank you. :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

Always got chips delivered to my moms office.....Those chip tins. :emotion-21:

The Space Shuttle......,I used to live in South Florida and would watch the Shuttle every single damn time.....I have been known to run randomly through many a neighbors yard for a better view. :emotion-25:

Boy scouts???

Son is a Star scout and should make Eagle by this time next year.  Still an incredible program when the leadership is passionate. 

As to summer camp...he goes to a band camp, an orchestra camp, a boy scout camp, and a church camp every summer.  It's a stretch for us, but priceless in returns.

Dave

• Like 1

The Space Shuttle......,I used to live in South Florida and would watch the Shuttle every single damn time.....I have been known to run randomly through many a neighbors yard for a better view.
I'll try to post a few pictures of the space shuttle that i took myself.  I have actually touched a space shuttle (not while it was in flight--hey, i move like a dancer; but, i'm not that good).  It was on display before the very first ever mission.  My dad got me in the place where it was. 

The Space Shuttle......,I used to live in South Florida and would watch the Shuttle every single damn time.....I have been known to run randomly through many a neighbors yard for a better view. :emotion-25:

My ex-Father-in-Law's Engineering Firm (RS&H) Does all kinds of neat stuff for NASA.....got to go down to a few launches and tour the facilities that house the NASA Mobile Launch Structures as well as watch quite a few Rocket and Shuttle launches.....was always just amazing to watch.

It was also always a little weird seeing all these people falling over themselves when he would walk into a room.....always wanted to just say..."Hey...guys...this dude was hammered at Hooters last night.....chill out.."  :lol:

There's an idea!  Add some thrusters and slap that on some pontoons.

For some reason I picture Slim Pickens riding on top... YEE HAW!

Asked a few locals what the plan is for it and they just shrug their shoulders....apparently NASA is leasing the space it's being stored on....but nobody seems to know what they are going to do with it.....or at least are not telling anyone