Things from the past that are gone and you dont know why because they were great?

Max2

CRUISING THE MALL OR DRIVE-IN.  Of course I'm too old to do that myself but it makes me sad in the pants that kids cannot enjoy cruising and hanging out in a parking lot late at night nowadays.  I guess there were too many fights and insurance companies don't want the liability, I don't know.  This has been banned pretty much everywhere and the cops and/or private security will run you off.  

Gotta stir the pot a bit here.  The ATC was every kids dream, at least here down south in red neck land.

2015.honda_.museum-tour.1971atc90.JPG

I know why those stupid things went away.  For a clue, look at how close the foot peg is to the rear tire.  Now think of your foot slipping off the back of the foot peg.

That and the fact they steered OPPOSITE of a motorcycle.  And if you steer the wrong way, the trike would flip you instantly over the handlebars and break your neck.  The government finally outlawed them because they were truly unsafe at any speed.

Good times.  :wacko:

You know if you don't put your foot down on a motorcycle when you stop, you will fall over.   If you lean the opposite way on a bike when you turn, you will fall over.  There is a learning curve to anything that has possibilities that can lead to an injury.  As far as Govt statistics go, just as many injuries occurred in later four wheelers when compared to three wheelers. Everyone knows the three wheelers are not as stable as a four wheeler, but to condemn them and not realize they were the stepping stone for all UTV's and ATV's that everyone enjoys today is absurd.   I don't know how old you are, but these things first came out in the late 60's when you may have been playing with and eating candy cigarettes, tossing yard darts and chasing cars down the road with your dog. And then again, you may have been operating a tractor at the age of 10 or above which is quite common. 

All kids deserve a great childhood and sometimes fun goes hand in hand with accidental possibilities. Anyone riding anything needs to be taught how gravity and physics work before they are turned loose and go ape shit like a penned up birddog that is taken out twice a year.  If someone old enough to know better and has issues regardless of what they are riding, then there is obvious slack in-between the throttle, the brake lever and the azz on the seat.

Edited by Max2

CRUISING THE MALL OR DRIVE-IN.  Of course I'm too old to do that myself but it makes me sad in the pants that kids cannot enjoy cruising and hanging out in a parking lot late at night nowadays.  I guess there were too many fights and insurance companies don't want the liability, I don't know.  This has been banned pretty much everywhere and the cops and/or private security will run you off.  

Fun, yes!  But we weren't doing anything that I would want my kids doing.

Kids are still doing the same things or worse, but now they're forced into more private venues. I don't really see that as a win.

There is nothing for kids 10-17 to do anymore.  Malls are dying due to online sales.  They wonder why kids get in trouble.  If they or their families can't afford to spend on Dave & Busters or some fun place, kids find something.  Hey, I was a dumb teen once.  We broke EVERYTHING and we were stupid.  But we had options.  Now kids don't.  Scary world we live in.

Kids are still doing the same things or worse, but now they're forced into more private venues. I don't really see that as a win.

There is nothing for kids 10-17 to do anymore.  Malls are dying due to online sales.  They wonder why kids get in trouble.  If they or their families can't afford to spend on Dave & Busters or some fun place, kids find something.  Hey, I was a dumb teen once.  We broke EVERYTHING and we were stupid.  But we had options.  Now kids don't.  Scary world we live in.

Not quite sure why it is the requirement of the public, or merchants, or the government to provide or give kids "something to do"??  How about parents or family stepping up and figuring it out.  How about participating in organized sports, or volunteering in their neighborhoods, or other outdoor activities.  NO options?  Really?

• Like 2

Malls are dying due to online sales.

Cause for celebration.  I haven't been to one in years and have no plans to go.  They used to smell of tobacco.  Not pleasant, but tolerable and uniform.  Now one passes through all sorts of evil smells.  Chemical, sweet, perfumes, BO, and more. 

Dave

• Like 1

Guest thesloth

I think before cell phones and social media the youth was pretty much forced into clubs or groups in order to socialize. Now kids just sit around and text or whatever.

I don't miss the marked up prices of malls. BUT I do remember lots of pretty girls there to flirt with.

Absolutly! I loved my Cox Eliminator dragster!

How about toys that actually lasted.  Star Wars figurines, Voltron, He-Man, stuff like that.  I have a ton of toys from the 80's that are still around.  If we buy anything new for my son, it's a bunch of crap.  

Also old SUV designs.  It's a Jeep, it ain't supposed to have curves.  Same with Bronco's.  They got it right the first time.  

And, Winchester 70 rifles.  The ones made prior to 1964 are worth a ton because that's the ones that are actually made right.

i was on an icebreaker back in my coast guard days…we would drink out of bowls because they were bigger than the cups.  when i came home, i was getting something to drink and instinctively got myself a bowl of milk.  Yeah, people looked at me funny.

I’lll never forget the first day underway after six weeks in the yards…seas were about 23 feet and constant--we were getting knocked around quite a bit, and for lunch we were served chili and rueben sandwiches…i don’t get sea sick; but, the stench of vomit filling the passageways wasn’t pleasant. 

I wish i would have realized how much fun i was really having or maybe hindsight is just a blessing.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1