Things from the past that are gone and you dont know why because they were great?

Max2

• Moderators
Max2, on 06 Oct 2015 - 5:17 PM, said:

dtel, on 06 Oct 2015 - 5:03 PM, said:

The 70's.....I know that sounds crazy but

dtel and Tarheel win  !!!!!!

Bring them back! 

Im notifying the wife right now

Tarheel, on 06 Oct 2015 - 5:15 PM, said:

Long haired hippie girls with peasant skirts and no undies.

If my reality was only as good as my memory, things would have been perfect.

• Like 1

Gotta stir the pot a bit here.  The ATC was every kids dream, at least here down south in red neck land.

2015.honda_.museum-tour.1971atc90.JPG

I know why those stupid things went away.  For a clue, look at how close the foot peg is to the rear tire.  Now think of your foot slipping off the back of the foot peg.

That and the fact they steered OPPOSITE of a motorcycle.  And if you steer the wrong way, the trike would flip you instantly over the handlebars and break your neck.  The government finally outlawed them because they were truly unsafe at any speed.

Good times.  :wacko:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

How about  Dog and Suds  drive- ins. Also DWILawyer they still have slot car race ways and slot car tracks. I love going to slot car track with someone who always plays video games. They have a hard time adjusting to real world. I got 40 year old slot cars that still go FAST.

Another thing you might think is gone but its not are Alladin mantel lamps. They produce a lot more light and heat in case your cold. I have a few of them. In 83 power was out for a week we kept warm and lighted by them. Also had loud tunes from Klipsch Heresys hooked to battery powered boom box. That got a lot of looks from people walking by..lol..   Rick

• Like 2

If my reality was only as good as my memory, things would have been perfect.

70s?  EEEUuuuu...

Ford intoned "...our long national nightmare is over..." and in reality it was just beginning.  ABBA, disco, weed made a capital offense.  I can't stand it.

Dave

• Like 1

Hardware store clerks who know the difference between a bolt and a screw.

No kidding!!!  I was at Westlake/Ace the other day.  Asked the young worker in the aisle if they had iron-on strip veneer?  His response, "what is veneer, I have never heard that term?"  My jaw dropped and I politely said thank you, I will find it myself.  I was in utter shock, who hires these people?  It is a hardware store for God's sake.  

• Like 2

How about toys that actually lasted.  Star Wars figurines, Voltron, He-Man, stuff like that.  I have a ton of toys from the 80's that are still around.  If we buy anything new for my son, it's a bunch of crap.  

Also old SUV designs.  It's a Jeep, it ain't supposed to have curves.  Same with Bronco's.  They got it right the first time.  

And, Winchester 70 rifles.  The ones made prior to 1964 are worth a ton because that's the ones that are actually made right.  

• Like 3

How about toys that actually lasted.  Star Wars figurines, Voltron, He-Man, stuff like that.  I have a ton of toys from the 80's that are still around.  If we buy anything new for my son, it's a bunch of crap.  

Amen to that...  Tonka trucks that were actually made out of metal...same with tractor toys and such.  All of that stuff is now made from plastic - which will last about a week.

• Like 1

Paul W. Klipsch still alive

Quality beautiful music on FM, great Rock on AM 

AM tuners worth a flip

Station Wagons

Marathon Candy Bars

Real HiFi dealers

Records everywhere

Woolworth's record counter

Long John Silver's Peg Legs

A&W fresh root beer

Jukeboxes 

Cars with distinctive styling

Zenith Radios and Television Sets

Civilized People

• Like 3

• Moderators

How about Dog and Suds drive- ins. Also DWILawyer they still have slot car race ways and slot car tracks. I love going to slot car track with someone who always plays video games. They have a hard time adjusting to real world. I got 40 year old slot cars that still go FAST.

Another thing you might think is gone but its not are Alladin mantel lamps. They produce a lot more light and heat in case your cold. I have a few of them. In 83 power was out for a week we kept warm and lighted by them. Also had loud tunes from Klipsch Heresys hooked to battery powered boom box. That got a lot of looks from people walking by..lol.. Rick

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I will have to Google that in Austin area and see what we might have here.
  • Like 1

Paul W. Klipsch still alive

Quality beautiful music on FM, great Rock on AM 

AM tuners worth a flip

Station Wagons

Marathon Candy Bars

Real HiFi dealers

Records everywhere

Woolworth's record counter

Long John Silver's Peg Legs

A&W fresh root beer

Jukeboxes 

Cars with distinctive styling

Zenith Radios and Television Sets

Civilized People

Long John Silver's peg legs :D

More than anything I miss the whole record store experience.  I don't like the new MP3/iTunes/YouTube a-la-carte situation.  Yeah it's easy but vastly unsatisfying.  I like to have a hard copy.  I like to look at album art.  I like to listen to the full album start to finish as I believe most good albums were intended.  I like a physical copy that won't disappear with the stroke of a delete button.  The records isn't what I'm after, I liked doing this with both cassettes and CD's.  I like doing it with movies as well.  

• Like 3

More than anything I miss the whole record store experience.  I don't like the new MP3/iTunes/YouTube a-la-carte situation.  Yeah it's easy but vastly unsatisfying.  I like to have a hard copy.  I like to look at album art.  I like to listen to the full album start to finish as I believe most good albums were intended.  I like a physical copy that won't disappear with the stroke of a delete button.  The records isn't what I'm after, I liked doing this with both cassettes and CD's.  I like doing it with movies as well.  

Great post. Even the atmosphere and ambiance of the record store was enticing. It was a great memory for me.

• Like 1

Something my kids just "don't get". There were two GREAT record stores here that I used to visit almost daily...but my all time favorite was Wags Record Hound.....buy, sell, trade.....just the whole atmosphere.

I'd go in and Wags would be behind the counter smoking a clove cig and reading some music rag (swear he was Joey Ramones clone). He'd always be playing something interesting and would have the album cover sitting on a stand on the counter so you knew what was playing. I'd spend HOURS in there talking to other customers or employees (Travis was a local musician that worked there that knew what I liked and would always stash something different away for me.) I'd always walk out with a stack of LP's, Tapes and CD's.

Miss that stuff.

• Like 1

Something my kids just "don't get". There were two GREAT record stores here that I used to visit almost daily...but my all time favorite was Wags Record Hound.....buy, sell, trade.....just the whole atmosphere.

I'd go in and Wags would be behind the counter smoking a clove cig and reading some music rag (swear he was Joey Ramones clone). He'd always be playing something interesting and would have the album cover sitting on a stand on the counter so you knew what was playing. I'd spend HOURS in there talking to other customers or employees (Travis was a local musician that worked there that knew what I liked and would always stash something different away for me.) I'd always walk out with a stack of LP's, Tapes and CD's.

Miss that stuff.

Your story sounds very familiar. My friend was the manager at a store called Karma Records. New music always playing, incense usually burning, cases of smoking paraphernalia, concert ticket sales. My friend was always pushing new albums for me to try out. I remember one album he gave me, then said that band will be here this weekend promoting that album, stop by drink a beer and meet them (I was 15) I did, it was Van Halen. He turned me on to a lot of new rock music, a lot of it I still listen to today.

• Like 1