Diana Krall

Paducah Home Theater

Curious as to why audiophiles like this girl. Do you really like the music? Is it challenging for it to sound good? Super easy to make anything sound good? I can't get into it, I'd rather listen to Zooey Deschanel on Elf if I'm going to listen to stuff like that.

• Like 1

First musical preferences, are musical preferences.  We all like somethings in music more than others.  In her favor, her recordings are very well done, as are the lyrics of many of her songs. she has a very nice voice, and conveys a certain mood in her music.  She was getting popular about the same time as Norah Jones, another jazzy crooner type.  Of the two I like Norah better, and as I stated here a very long time ago, I think Diana Krall reminds me more of  hotel lounge singer then say a Sade.

If you are not into her that's OK, and if not, that's OK too.  But they are quality recordings and that alone will have appeal to those with better music systems.

• Like 2

She plays excellent jazz, and has a decent, but not great voice. Her band on the recordings we have are very accomplished. This music brings back pop/jazz sounds and feelings of the era when Ella and Peggy Lee we're big stars.

Diana, like Harry Connick and Michael Buble offer a very nice alternative to the formulaic pop music of Katy Perry (ugh), or the over produced, over baked sound of Nashville. Diana has a mature sound, not a kid-like sound. We keep her in the rotation.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First musical preferences, are musical preferences.  We all like somethings in music more than others.  In her favor, her recordings are very well done, as are the lyrics of many of her songs. she has a very nice voice, and conveys a certain mood in her music.  She was getting popular about the same time as Norah Jones, another jazzy crooner type.  Of the two I like Norah better, and as I stated here a very long time ago, I think Diana Krall reminds me more of  hotel lounge singer then say a Sade.

If you are not into her that's OK, and if not, that's OK too.  But they are quality recordings and that alone will have appeal to those with better music systems.

Like the Beatles?  :P

I enjoy her music, although the latest "Wallflower" is too cheesy for even my tastes.  From a sound quality POV, her recordings are top notch IMHO.  The third track - Temptation - on the Girl in the Other Room will really test your audio setup.  Glad Rag Doll is a good album SQ-wise too.  And, as corny as it sounds, download Jingle Bells from her Christmas Album - pretty cool interpretation and great SQ.

PS - I saw her on Later with Jools Holland a few years ago singing "Wide River to Cross" off of Glad Rag Doll.  She was on with five other crazy acts that night and Jools swung the camera around and introduced her and her band, and they just nailed this beautiful song.  Very talented.

Like the Beatles?  :P

We are talking about music heer, not that pop drivel those creatures from across the sea visited upon an unsuspecting nation.  Do you confuse commercial jingles with real music? :D   The Dungs, after all, are the pop, pop, fizz, fizz of the music world.

Edited by thebes

:emotion-21:   I asked myself the same question ten years ago. She's really great on the keys and she's had some original (and very well-produced) compositions, but the way she sings??   Meh. :mellow:

She is jazz though, and I do like that. I can listen to Black Crow and Almost Blue over and over without growing tired.

Super easy to make anything sound good?

Pretty much.

Her approach is a little too breathy for me, although I like her arrangements as well as her piano playing. Usually very well recorded, just not in the upper echelon as far as the great female jazz singers in my opinion. She does a great cover of Tom Waits' "The Heart of Saturday Night."

Her approach is a little too breathy for me

I just feel like something is missing on the compositions. The small amount of stuff I've listened to almost sounds full of simple fills like my 5th grade music teacher used to do during Christmas recitals. Keep hoping I'll find a more complex song that wows me.

I do typically like female vocalists in general, heard this one for the first time this morning, jaw dropped... can't get the same reaction with Diana for some reason.

I wasn't even familiar with her stuff, but Better Half was and she picked up tickets to see her at Red Rocks this past summer. Frankly, I was impressed, at least by today's 'standards'. Good show, nice voice, first rate band. Superstar quality? No ... but I'd pick up a cd and enjoy it, depending on the cuts.

Agree with Marty.