Need ideas for Turntable Build

joshnich

Using the motor and drive apparatus from a donor lenco and the birch plinth pictured, I have started a tt project. The top of the turntable will have a stainless steel plate also pictured. Looking for ideas on the finish of the plinth. I could veneer it or paint it ( or have an auto shop spray it) some interesting color. Interested in any ideas or opnions! Thanks

Joshpost-10189-0-32300000-1447272185_thumb.j

post-10189-0-70300000-1447272201_thumb.j

Edited by joshnich
  • Like 2

If you have a can of clear poly around spray a test piece. Oil poly gives a warm tone.  Also black satin or piano finish would look great with that top plate.  Or a metallic deep gay might also do the trick. Nice  work, by the way.

Using the motor and drive apparatus from a donor lenco and the birch plinth pictured, I have started a tt project. The top of the turntable will have a stainless steel plate also pictured. Looking for ideas on the finish of the plinth. I could veneer it or paint it ( or have an auto shop spray it) some interesting color. Interested in any ideas or opnions! Thanks

Joshattachicon.gifIMG_2834.JPG

You should chat with forum member Wardsweb

He builds some mighty fine looking platters.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 2

If you have a can of clear poly around spray a test piece. Oil poly gives a warm tone.  Also black satin or piano finish would look great with that top plate.  Or a metallic deep gay might also do the trick. Nice  work, by the way.

What EXACTLY is metallic DEEP GAY and do the Twins know about This ?  <_<

• Like 2

Should be an "r" in there somewhere.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning towards a high gloss car like finish. I like thebes' thought about a shade of gray. Maybe a Ferrari red would be interesting or perhaps a British racing green. My original intention was to use some sort of clear poly or even an oil and waxed approach ( I did my first Cornwallis with linseed oil and wax) but I'm not sure about the birch. I have never seen a green turntable so maybe that is the way I'll go! I will post photos along the way!

A Likely Explanation :P  

If you have a can of clear poly around spray a test piece. Oil poly gives a warm tone. Also black satin or piano finish would look great with that top plate. Or a metallic deep gay might also do the trick. Nice work, by the way.

What EXACTLY is metallic DEEP GAY and do the Twins know about This ? <_<

Gary?