Is this a 1st?

ZEUS121996

Point is, this one must NOT go political.  It IS a serious matter worthy of discussion and even recommending action.  I, for one, had already gone off my rocker wondering why the UN sits by and watches UN designated World Heritage Sites be vandalized. 

Now, I am wondering what it is going to take before the world pulls together to wipe these criminals out.  When there is a fire, you don't ask the race, creed, religion, or political affiliation of the next person in the bucket brigade, you pass the bucket. 

Time to form a fire brigade, IMHO.

Dave

As much as I respect your opinion and totally agree with what you say above,  there is no way not to get political or religious in this kind of discussion.

1) We invaded Kuwait to get Saddam out because of oil.

2) Bin Laden and Al Qaeda hit us on 9/11 because Saudi Arabia let us use bases to stage attacks so close to Mecca (and notice we were not allowed to in the Iraq Invasion).

3) We had the global community behind us to invade Afghanistan including Israel, Christian, Sunni and Shiite countries on board.

4) We change course before the mission was accomplished and invade Iraq which was viewed by most of the above as either for oil or a continuation of western/Christian expansion into the Middle East. 

Fwiw, I do think this attack along with the recent others will bring NATO together and Russia will have to work with the Western world and Muslim nations will reconsider their stances in regard to terrorism that crosses borders. My 2 cents.

Edited by Zen Traveler

If you are going to sit around and WHINE, you have to do it in Chads ear personally and repeatedly throughout the day!

SHHHH...don't tell everyone how to get to be a moderator.

Dave

MUMs the word, Dave!

Roger

For the record, I never once whined. I was merely persistent in my request.

If you are going to sit around and WHINE, you have to do it in Chads ear personally and repeatedly throughout the day!

SHHHH...don't tell everyone how to get to be a moderator.

Dave

MUMs the word, Dave!

Roger

For the record, I never once whined. I was merely persistent in my request.

It is all about Perspective Michael :)

Kimda like people from the US are pissed because so called moderate Muslims do not denounce the Radicals in their religion as doing wrong!

Similarly, I remember several people who were there who were already moderators and none of them are denouncing this claim?

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

Whether you properly or improperly assess a person's IQ at some low number, what does it matter whether he is called, "retarded," "disabled" or "challenged?" Either way, the result is the same - a person who we recognize as "damaged" or "misfortunate" in some way - a person to pity, more or less (sometimes, more; sometimes, less).

I found the problem lies with folks using those words to describe a person who didn't fit into that category but only had a difference of opinion.

You said it better than me.  Eventually, the word becomes derogatory and we need a new one to abuse.

• Like 1

Whether you properly or improperly assess a person's IQ at some low number, what does it matter whether he is called, "retarded," "disabled" or "challenged?" Either way, the result is the same - a person who we recognize as "damaged" or "misfortunate" in some way - a person to pity, more or less (sometimes, more; sometimes, less).

I found the problem lies with folks using those words to describe a person who didn't fit into that category but only had a difference of opinion.

But what if your IQ is farther from the mean average of the Normal range of IQ than the mean average of normal is to the upper limit of the retarded spectrum, would not that title be appropriate for at least half of the people that person were to come across? ;)

Roger

"At least half of the people ..."

About the middle 68 % of people will be within +/- 1 standard deviation of the mean of 100, i.e., between about 85 and 115. 

Paper and pencil IQ tests, and those likely to be on the Internet are not well thought of by psychologists for the purpose of individual assessment.  Some are adequate for "group-wise" research, but should not be used to assess individuals.  It takes a lot of time and money to create a good IQ test and put it through expensive reliability and validity studies.  The better tests come in attache cases, and cost a great deal.  They are given one on one, and take about 1 hour, plus a thoughtful write up.  

IQ isn't everything.  Frank Barron found that the positive correlation between creativity (as measured by a battery he used, and as indicated by the ratings of peers) and intelligence (as measured by an IQ test) more or less stops above an IQ of about 120.  In other words, a scatter diagram will show the telltale, moderately thin, right leaning pattern of dots up to about 120, then it fattens up into a circular pattern in the upper regions (i.e., no correlation up there).  It looks like a fat pear, thin end down, on a 45 degree angle. 

Many of the IQs one hears about on TV, in movies, and in pop articles are inflated.  Professionals avoid using terminology like "genius IQ."  The term for the upper reaches is "very superior."  About 2% of the population have IQs at or above 130.  In one study of a pool of Ph.D.s and MDs, the mean IQ was 128.  

Very few individuals are ever given a good IQ test.  Sometimes they are given in a clinical setting to rule out certain types of intellectual impairment.  Sometimes they are used in well funded research.

About 20 years ago a man characterized as "retarded" was to be executed in California.  He seemed to be O.K. when interviewed.  I asked the chief school psychologist of a California county how this man could be retarded, if he seemed to speak normally.  I would have guessed he was in the lower part of the normal range.  My colleague said that the deficit would be easier to see in his writing, rather than his ability to answer straightforward questions.  

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

As much as I respect your opinion and totally agree with what you say above, there is no way not to get political or religious in this kind of discussion.

Appears to me you did a fine job of responding without getting political.  Granted, I expect this thread may eventually be locked but not because of reasonable comments like yours.

Dave

War Games just got real. Call of Duty? Ghost Recon? Battlefield? Nope.

Early reports indicate that the PS4 & PSN (PlayStation Network) accounts may have been used for ISIS communication:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/11/14/why-the-paris-isis-terrorists-used-ps4-to-plan-attacks/

http://www.geek.com/news/paris-terrorists-suspected-of-using-playstation-4-to-communicate-1639536/

The PSN provides IP-voice communications (peer-to-peer) making it more difficult to monitor. ISIS user groups & friends lists (on the PSN) can provide more secure communications than encrypted phone calls & emails. Pretty sad.

But what if your IQ is farther from the mean average of the Normal range of IQ than the mean average of normal is to the upper limit of the retarded spectrum, would not that title be appropriate for at least half of the people that person were to come across? ;)

Roger

"At least half of the people ..."

About the middle 68 % of people will be within +/- 1 standard deviation of the mean of 100, i.e., between about 85 and 115. 

Paper and pencil IQ tests, and those likely to be on the Internet are not well thought of by psychologists for the purpose of individual assessment.  Some are adequate for "group-wise" research, but should not be used to assess individuals.  It takes a lot of time and money to create a good IQ test and put it through expensive reliability and validity studies.  The better tests come in attache cases, and cost a great deal.  They are given one on one, and take about 1 hour, plus a thoughtful write up.  

IQ isn't everything.  Frank Barron found that the positive correlation between creativity (as measured by a battery he used, and as indicated by the ratings of peers) and intelligence (as measured by an IQ test) more or less stops above an IQ of about 120.  In other words, a scatter diagram will show the telltale, moderately thin, right leaning pattern of dots up to about 120, then it fattens up into a circular pattern in the upper regions (i.e., no correlation up there).  It looks like a fat pear, thin end down, on a 45 degree angle. 

Many of the IQs one hears about on TV, in movies, and in pop articles are inflated.  Professionals avoid using terminology like "genius IQ."  The term for the upper reaches is "very superior."  About 2% of the population have IQs at or above 130.  In one study of a pool of Ph.D.s and MDs, the mean IQ was 128.  

Very few individuals are ever given a good IQ test.  Sometimes they are given in a clinical setting to rule out certain types of intellectual impairment.  Sometimes they are used in well funded research.

About 20 years ago a man characterized as "retarded" was to be executed in California.  He seemed to be O.K. when interviewed.  I asked the chief school psychologist of a California county how this man could be retarded, if he seemed to speak normally.  I would have guessed he was in the lower part of the normal range.  My colleague said that the deficit would be easier to see in his writing, rather than his ability to answer straightforward questions.

Gary,

Precisely my point as I was repeatedly tested as a child because of both being obviously bright while showing poor performance in school and the fact that I was identified as ADHD and Dyslexic. In the 4th grade, they even moved me ahead 2 years in Math and 1 year in Science. No internet testing for me, being born in 1964, the internet did not exist.

My point is this; My son is classified as both Autistic and MRDD. I find with the average mean IQ being a 100 and the very upper edge of Mental Retardation being 70, that well over half of the population is closer to that number of 70 than my score of 148 and find it necessary, nay a responsibility to think of those in the general intellectual domain that would consider my son retarded as retarded by comparison to myself and must say I find it highly unnerving that these people with little comprehension as to what goes on in this Country should have an equal right to nullify my vote. How would you feel about being of average intellect and having someone come in and nullify your vote that had to be told where to mark their "X" on the sheet? or have these same people look at your son as something less than themselves?

Roger

As much as I respect your opinion and totally agree with what you say above, there is no way not to get political or religious in this kind of discussion.

The original thread was to convey condolences.  That can certainly be done without getting political.  The first thread wasn't political but appeared to want to quickly stray into gun talk.  That's why I locked it as I had to leave my computer, could no longer moderate it and saw where it was headed.

• Like 2

I was just giving Carl and Dave some sh*t

Payback's a B***h.

OK tough guy, bring it! :D:lol::P

Mark

OH DUDE! Your Fkd !!

You are completely unarmed against Carl and his Martini making capabilities!

By The way Oh great Bald one, Thanks for the help this afternoon... :)

Rog

Martinis at 10 paces.  You better bring a good second.

This should be a great campfire discussion in Hope after a couple of drinks.  It will be interesting to hear those opinions in person, instead of behind a screen and keyboard.  Just had to delete my personal diatribe on the subject as I will save it for a latter date.  I trust that all of you mentally challenged, as well as those that are mentally gifted, or so as proclaimed, will have a wonderful evening.  :wacko:  

• Like 3