Is this a 1st?

ZEUS121996

I know this is too much information, but here is the way psychologists used the terms to diagnose clients until recently:

DSM IV (this has now been replaced by the DSM V)

A. Significantly subaverage intellectual functioning: an IQ of approximately 70 or below on an individually administered IQ test (for infants, a clinical judgment of significantly subaverage intellectual functioning).

B. Concurrent deficits or impairments in present adaptive functioning (i.e., the person's effectiveness in meeting the standards expected for his or her age by his or her cultural group) in at least two of the following areas: communication, self-care, home living, social/interpersonal skills, use of community resources, self-direction, functional academic skills, work, leisure, health, and safety.

C. The onset is before age 18 years.

Code based on degree of severity reflecting level of intellectual impairment:

317 Mild Mental Retardation: IQ level 50-55 to approximately 70 

318.0 Moderate Mental Retardation: IQ level 35-40 to 50-55 

318.1 Severe Mental Retardation: IQ level 20-25 to 35-40 

318.2 Profound Mental Retardation: IQ level below 20 or 25

319 Mental Retardation, Severity Unspecified: when there is strong presumption of Mental Retardation but the person's intelligence is untestable by standard tests

In 2013 the DSM V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders version 5) came out reflecting the name change:

Name Change

Intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder) as a DSM-5 diagnostic term replaces “mental retardation” used in previous editions of the manuals. In addition, the parenthetical name “(intellectual developmental disorder)” is included in the text to reflect deficits in cognitive capacity beginning in the developmental period. Together, these revisions bring DSM into alignment with terminology used by the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Diseases, other professional disciplines and organizations, such as the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, and the U.S. Department of Education

And before that, the terms used to describe Intellectual Disability before that was Moron, Imbecile and Idiot.

Retardation Levels
To classify scores below 70, psychologists invented a scale of "retardation"
-
Morons, Imbeciles, and Idiots:

Morons-Those with IQs between 51 and 70 (adequate learning skills to complete menial tasks and to communicate)

Imbeciles-Those with IQs between 26 and 50 (unable to progress past a mental age of approximately six) 

Idiot -those with IQs between 0 and 25 (poor motor skills, extremely limited communication, and little response to stimulus)

The moron/imbecile/idiot classification system started in 1911 and remained in use until the early 1970s

Edited by wvu80

I know this is too much information, but here is the way psychologists used the terms to diagnose clients until recently:

DSM IV (this has now been replaced by the DSM V)

A. Significantly subaverage intellectual functioning: an IQ of approximately 70 or below on an individually administered IQ test (for infants, a clinical judgment of significantly subaverage intellectual functioning).

B. Concurrent deficits or impairments in present adaptive functioning (i.e., the person's effectiveness in meeting the standards expected for his or her age by his or her cultural group) in at least two of the following areas: communication, self-care, home living, social/interpersonal skills, use of community resources, self-direction, functional academic skills, work, leisure, health, and safety.

C. The onset is before age 18 years.

Code based on degree of severity reflecting level of intellectual impairment:

317 Mild Mental Retardation: IQ level 50-55 to approximately 70 

318.0 Moderate Mental Retardation: IQ level 35-40 to 50-55 

318.1 Severe Mental Retardation: IQ level 20-25 to 35-40 

318.2 Profound Mental Retardation: IQ level below 20 or 25

319 Mental Retardation, Severity Unspecified: when there is strong presumption of Mental Retardation but the person's intelligence is untestable by standard tests

In 2013 the DSM V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders version 5) came out reflecting the name change:

Name Change

Intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder) as a DSM-5 diagnostic term replaces “mental retardation” used in previous editions of the manuals. In addition, the parenthetical name “(intellectual developmental disorder)” is included in the text to reflect deficits in cognitive capacity beginning in the developmental period. Together, these revisions bring DSM into alignment with terminology used by the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Diseases, other professional disciplines and organizations, such as the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, and the U.S. Department of Education

And before that, the terms used to describe Intellectual Disability before that was Moron, Imbecile and Idiot.

Retardation Levels
To classify scores below 70, psychologists invented a scale of "retardation"
-
Morons, Imbeciles, and Idiots:

Morons-Those with IQs between 51 and 70 (adequate learning skills to complete menial tasks and to communicate)

Imbeciles-Those with IQs between 26 and 50 (unable to progress past a mental age of approximately six) 

Idiot -those with IQs between 0 and 25 (poor motor skills, extremely limited communication, and little response to stimulus)

The moron/imbecile/idiot classification system started in 1911 and remained in use until the early 1970s

And to think... all that maneuvering gets them no further down the road.  It's just a little game we play to run from labels which bother us after they've been in use a while.

• Like 2

And to think... all that maneuvering gets them no further down the road. It's just a little game we play to run from labels which bother us after they've been in use a while.

I think the problem is misdiagnosis by armchair psychiatrist who use labels inappropriately.

I don't think so.

Whether you properly or improperly assess a person's IQ at some low number, what does it matter whether he is called, "retarded," "disabled" or "challenged?"  Either way, the result is the same - a person who we recognize as "damaged" or "misfortunate" in some way - a person to pity, more or less (sometimes, more; sometimes, less).  

Whether you properly or improperly assess a person's IQ at some low number, what does it matter whether he is called, "retarded," "disabled" or "challenged?" Either way, the result is the same - a person who we recognize as "damaged" or "misfortunate" in some way - a person to pity, more or less (sometimes, more; sometimes, less).

I found the problem lies with folks using those words to describe a person who didn't fit into that category but only had a difference of opinion.

• Like 2

Whether you properly or improperly assess a person's IQ at some low number, what does it matter whether he is called, "retarded," "disabled" or "challenged?" Either way, the result is the same - a person who we recognize as "damaged" or "misfortunate" in some way - a person to pity, more or less (sometimes, more; sometimes, less).

I found the problem lies with folks using those words to describe a person who didn't fit into that category but only had a difference of opinion.

But what if your IQ is farther from the mean average of the Normal range of IQ than the mean average of normal is to the upper limit of the retarded spectrum, would not that title be appropriate for at least half of the people that person were to come across? ;)

Roger

Point is, this one must NOT go political.  It IS a serious matter worthy of discussion and even recommending action.  I, for one, had already gone off my rocker wondering why the UN sits by and watches UN designated World Heritage Sites be vandalized. 

Now, I am wondering what it is going to take before the world pulls together to wipe these criminals out.  When there is a fire, you don't ask the race, creed, religion, or political affiliation of the next person in the bucket brigade, you pass the bucket. 

Time to form a fire brigade, IMHO.

Dave

• Like 2

Point is, this one must NOT go political.  It IS a serious matter worthy of discussion and even recommending action.  I, for one, had already gone off my rocker wondering why the UN sits by and watches UN designated World Heritage Sites be vandalized. 

Now, I am wondering what it is going to take before the world pulls together to wipe these criminals out.  When there is a fire, you don't ask the race, creed, religion, or political affiliation of the next person in the bucket brigade, you pass the bucket. 

Time to form a fire brigade, IMHO.

Dave

Dave,

I have yet to see a Flamer get dowsed with a bucket of water and I have waited a long time!

Roger