I got hosed!

Coytee

Yeah...  ok...  kinda.

I own an industrial sized backhoe/loader, JCB 1550-B.  Sucker digs a two foot flat bottom at 15 1/2' down.

Has slow leak in front tire so every now & then I pull it to garage and fill with air and put on charger.

I did this a couple months ago, went out later and it was leaning to side....I had a big puddle of hydraulic fluid sitting there.

Well...it was like 24 degrees outside so I locked the rear stabilizers up and parked it for later on.  Today it's like 60 degrees outside and is now "later on".

Pulled to driveway, crawled under it (nice thing about these is they have built in jack stands!!

Anyways, crawled under it and everything looked hunky dory.

hmmmm....

Only way to find out.  Crawl back out, pull charger off, start it and jack it up on the stabilizers.  I move the bucket to the side so it won't sway....  hmm...  I thought I raised the right side?  Hit it again to raise it and even the height and this thing went down like a balloon. 

Turn things off, crawl under it again....  don't see a thing.  Yes, there was oil everywhere but I couldn't tell from where it came.

Clean some (now oily) mud off.....  crawl back out, fire it up and raise it again.  Now while running, I jump off, crawl back under it and can see that one of the hoses that feed the stabilizers was BLOWING oil out under the pressure of the machine.

Crap.

These are not American sized hoses....  they are not metric sized hoses....they are what they call British (or is it British Metric?) sized hoses....

Crap crap crap.  I had already deducted this was the issue, I just needed to verify it.

Whoa....  hang on a moment.  Aren't I a retentive type who might save an old usable item?

I remembered that years ago, cleaning up some timbered woods, I hooked a couple hoses and ripped one of these.  I replaced the PAIR however, had only damaged one.  This means I have the other one in the garage!  It might have dry-rot....but if it does, I'm no worse off than I am currently.

Went to garage, found the good condition old hose and slapped it on.

I'm expecting it to work like a charm however, I haven't fired it up.  Had to come inside a clean up and stopped by here.

We'll see shortly.

Now, aren't you pissed that after reading this you will never get the last 2 minutes of your life back?

I guess that means you have just joined the ranks of also being hosed.

:P

• Like 3

Keep in mind, though you can use the outriggers(stabilizers) to lift the machine off of the ground.  They can not be trusted as "jack stands" , your drifting down is proof of that.  Imagine if you relied on them to keep the machine up while you were under it.  You could be crushed and killed.  Anyways, most hose repair shops around should be able to repair those types of hoses.  Even a CAT John Deere dealership might be able to.  You should invest in some quick repair couplers for things like this.

http://www.awdirect.com/b-a-products-1-4148-hose-splice---2-wire-hyd-142w/hydraulic-hose-repair/?gclid=CjwKEAiA27G1BRCEopST9M39gykSJADQyqAlpuXfSjF5YyGSweXs3fdlGW57Xu5pbMOqfgn6sLpnLBoC3QHw_wcB&epc=AWSEPLA&CID=AWSEPLA&ef_id=VDiVrAAABB5efm49:20160130194625:s

• Like 2

It's all good Richard....I like being "hosed"

It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the "hose again"

MKP :-)

You forgot the word "else"

One of my all time favorites! :)

Roger

Thanks Roger.....I was thinking I was missing something....i'll take care of that....lol lol...

Yea good movie for sure...

MKP :-)

• Like 2

What's fun is when the wife wants her petunia's moved....and instead of a shovel, I start it up.

Or, one of my favorite....  she had some kind of fighting fish,  Hernando.  He was found one day, belly up.

I need to bury him.  I was going to fling Hernando into the woods and she was aghast at that.  No, you have to bury him.

OK, so I put Hernando into a cup.... fire up the machine (I call it Brutus), drive to the top of the hill, dig a 2-4 foot deep hole and fling him in.  Move dirt back and go home.

'I can't believe you used your backhoe to bury a fish'

"I can't believe you wouldn't let me fling him into the woods!"

• Like 3

The only other British sized unit of measure I can think of is Whitworth. I have a set of Whitworth wrenches, excuse me, spanners for working on older British cars and motorcycles.

Its not so much the type of tool it takes to work on them, but the pipe threads on the hydraulic hose ends themselves.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The only other British sized unit of measure I can think of is Whitworth. I have a set of Whitworth wrenches, excuse me, spanners for working on older British cars and motorcycles.

Americans solved the Limmie weird sizing problems a long time ago, i beleive a Man named Mr Cresent is owed a drink :o

• Like 2

Duder is right...  it's not really the size of the fitting per se', (a cresent wrench will work as you say).  It is instead the style of the threads.  My understanding is they are British Metric verses European Metric.

Is there a difference or did the shop make that up because they saw "Hi I'm a sucker please take my money" on my forehead???  I don't know.

I DO know regardless of what you do, these toys aren't cheap.

just last summer, I had to replace four bolts.  I replaced four bolts and four locking nuts.  Cost about $150 for all of them.  Granted they are large bolts but ouch, it still hurts to say that.

Then the couple thousand I had to pay to get the two rear trunnion mounted cylinders repacked along with the the main cylinder on the boom.

All to be able to replant my wifes Petunia's.....

post-12967-0-16140000-1454286826_thumb.j