What's on the shopping list? Black Friday 2016

wvu80

Anybody hot on the trail of an item and waiting for a Black Friday Deal price drop? 

Speakers, amps, TV, tools, other?  It seems to me that pre-Christmas (and post-Christmas) is a tough time to sell gear, pretty good time to find bargains.

• Like 2

I need a new awesome cordless drill.  Been using a Hitachi 18v for awhile but they switched battery style and one battery is dead and the other is dying.  Still like the drill but the battery situation sucks.  Two new batteries would cost more than a new drill with two batteries, plus I can't even find them locally.  

Also my mother in law needs a new TV but she's super cheap so there's nothing I can help her out with.  Not sure where to look.  She's stuck on a $140 40" from Wal-Mart that is supposed to be available on black friday.  Such things make me cringe.  Not like she can't afford nicer stuff.  

On 11/22/2016 at 10:28 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I need a new awesome cordless drill.  Been using a Hitachi 18v for awhile but they switched battery style and one battery is dead and the other is dying.  Still like the drill but the battery situation sucks.  Two new batteries would cost more than a new drill with two batteries, plus I can't even find them locally.  

Been there done that.  Fortunately for you there are a TON of cordless drills and Black Friday deals are everywhere.  All you need is a budget, let the Klipschites know what you are looking at, and the suggestions will come rolling in.

Also my mother in law needs a new TV but she's super cheap so there's nothing I can help her out with.  Not sure where to look.  She's stuck on a $140 40" from Wal-Mart that is supposed to be available on black friday.  Such things make me cringe.  Not like she can't afford nicer stuff.  

I know what you mean here, too.  That $140 Walmart special will likely not last until next Christmas, and that's if it doesn't have multiple problems along the way.  And we both know the $1.00 speakers they put in those low-end TV's are crap and unlistenable.  She will hate that TV every day.

The secret to value spending is knowing how to spend money, not how to save money.

Beware of Black Friday sales on electronics and tools.  Normally the items are similar looking to their standard counterparts but with less features.  They're really not on sale but a well disguised product of lesser value that appears more expensive than it should be.

• Like 1

The only safe bet I've seen over the years for Black Friday is that Mag Lites are usually half off at Lowes.  Of course nowadays LED lights are so cheap and powerful that Mag Lites are kind of outdated.  But yeah I used to stock up for gifts, they were always seemingly appreciated.  It's about the only time I can stomach the thought of paying for a washer and dryer as well.  

On 11/22/2016 at 8:28 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I need a new awesome cordless drill.

I go thru a lot of cordless drills with my job and I have to say that this is the best one I carry with me. Smaller size, lighter weight but extremely powerful for it's size and a charge last longer than my 18 V bigger ones. Highly recommend this for 99.00

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS31-2A-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B003BEE2LU

71A7gRMOS3L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tasdom said:

I go thru a lot of cordless drills with my job and I have to say that this is the best one I carry with me. Smaller size, lighter weight but extremely powerful for it's size and a charge last longer than my 18 V bigger ones. Highly recommend this for 99.00

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS31-2A-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B003BEE2LU

71A7gRMOS3L._SL1500_.jpg

Was at least previously thinking a big giant one more like this.  I don't have any need to tote it around all day.  

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD990M2-Lithium-Brushless-Premium/dp/B00FWLC07I/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1479931394&sr=1-5&keywords=20v+drill

Ideally I want to do everything that my Milwaukee corded 1/2" drill can do but with no cord.  

First time I'm down here with the wife during Black Friday. I plan on dropping her off at the big mall here and running for my life with the dog. 

Went to Costco to pick up some Hatch Valley Chiles. Based on the wait in the check out lines you'd think they were giving stuff away there today.

Never get between a woman and the store, especially when they're intent on buying sale priced shoes. :)

On 11/21/2016 at 11:47 PM, wvu80 said:

Anybody hot on the trail of an item and waiting for a Black Friday Deal price drop? 

Speakers, amps, TV, tools, other?  It seems to me that pre-Christmas (and post-Christmas) is a tough time to sell gear, pretty good time to find bargains.

vodka, olives, celery, horseradish, V8, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, ice....that's it....all you other crazy people...have a good time...

• Like 1

I'm responsible for all the food after breakfast, and before dinner on Thanksgiving proper.

My contributions include, but are not limited to: candied, spiced nuts (candied pecans, salted peanuts, and peppered pepitas), regular nuts (pistachio), 3-4 varieties of mildly to severely stinky cheese, plenty of fruit (mostly pears and satsumas, and melon for the prosciutto), salami/salumi, crackers x 3, and for whatever reason, moo shu pork...

Shopping for goods? Not so much.

• Like 1

My daughter does the shopping and cooking -- i just go to her house and donate some cash towards the efforts.  believe me, she’d prefer that rather than me try to cook something. I suspect the fire department contributes as well -- keeping me out of a kitchen is a high priority of theirs. She generally has all the traditional foods.

• Like 1

I went and bought a Pecan Pie---I did my duty---I love Pecan Pie--OK it's for me.

There is an Apple Pie too but I ventured out for a Pecan Pie.

I don't care about Black Friday--especially if I have a Pecan Pie.

If I go shopping Friday---it'll be for More Pie---Thanks for asking.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The only safe bet I've seen over the years for Black Friday is that Mag Lites are usually half off at Lowes.

I have an old one, I think it's the biggest they make, bad thing is it was before LED and it's not terribly bright and goes through batteries. I need to find a bright LED light to convert it over, I have to say it's tough and always works.