*cough* CES 2017 *cough*

Chad

I think it will be interesting to see how Klipsch markets 2 speakers priced the same:  RF-7 III and Forte III. 

I’m intrigued as to why there seems to be much more interest in the Forte III.  This is ignorance on my part – not a judgement.  I’m trying to learn. 

I find it interesting that the spokesman (Mark) seemed more effusive about the RF-7 III:  “being capable of immense dynamic range” … “these are an absolute bargain” … “at this price point nothing can do what these speakers can do”. 

OTOH, a lot of the discussion about the Forte III was focused on LP playback – which I thought was odd.   Is this saying that the Forte III’s appeal is a “retro” image?  Does style play a major factor in the differing appeal of these 2 speakers?  (The RF-7 III were shown in cherry; the Forte III appeared to be black.)   Will the Forte III appeal more to classic rock-and-roll fans because its style seems nostalgic?  

Is the sound quality significantly different between the RF-7 III and Forte III?  Do the “heritage” speakers have a signature sound that is different from the RF-7 III?  Is the Forte III ideally suited to certain types of music, and the RF-7 III suited to different types?

The Forte III is a 3 way.  The RF-7 III is a 2 way.   Will the RF-7 III be more efficient?

The Forte III appears to be much shorter and wider than the RF-7 III.   This might be a factor for some people based on their available floor space. (Do they need a narrow tower speaker?)

The RF-7 III will have a matching subwoofer.  For HT use, the RF-7 III will have a matching center channel.   (What about rear speakers?)  In contrast, will the Forte III be marketed primarily for stereo use?

For some “heritage” fans, does the RF-7 III suffer from NIH (Not Invented Here)?

I wish I could hear the 2 speakers side-by-side.

12 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

I’m intrigued as to why there seems to be much more interest in the Forte III.  This is ignorance on my part – not a judgement.  I’m trying to learn. 

For a lot of us here, we prefer the Heritage sound. Not everyone, but a large chunk. The fact that Roy Delgado designed them is a HUGE plus and major selling point. He was PWK's right hand man and creates some amazing speakers.

Is the sound quality significantly different between the RF-7 III and Forte III?  Do the “heritage” speakers have a signature sound that is different from the RF-7 III?

Speaking for RF-7II vs Forte - yes. (I owned them both and still have forte.) Which one you would like better would be personal preference. Me? Forte.

The Forte III is a 3 way.  The RF-7 III is a 2 way.   Will the RF-7 III be more efficient?

According to current specs, Forte is 99db, RF-7 is 101. This has nothing to do with two way vs 3 way though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

I think it will be interesting to see how Klipsch markets 2 speakers priced the same:  RF-7 III and Forte III. 

I find it interesting that the spokesman (Mark) seemed more effusive about the RF-7 III:  “being capable of immense dynamic range” … “these are an absolute bargain” … “at this price point nothing can do what these speakers can do”. 

OTOH, a lot of the discussion about the Forte III was focused on LP playback – which I thought was odd.   Is this saying that the Forte III’s appeal is a “retro” image?  Does style play a major factor in the differing appeal of these 2 speakers?  (The RF-7 III were shown in cherry; the Forte III appeared to be black.)   Will the Forte III appeal more to classic rock-and-roll fans because its style seems nostalgic?  

Is the sound quality significantly different between the RF-7 III and Forte III?  Do the “heritage” speakers have a signature sound that is different from the RF-7 III?  Is the Forte III ideally suited to certain types of music, and the RF-7 III suited to different types?

The Forte III appears to be much shorter and wider than the RF-7 III.   This might be a factor for some people based on their available floor space. (Do they need a narrow tower speaker?)

The RF-7 III will have a matching subwoofer.  For HT use, the RF-7 III will have a matching center channel.   (What about rear speakers?)  In contrast, will the Forte III be marketed primarily for stereo use?

For some “heritage” fans, does the RF-7 III suffer from NIH (Not Invented Here)?

I wish I could hear the 2 speakers side-by-side.

I think the RF-7 III will be marketed more to the Home Theater crowd while the Fortes will be more to the music crowd. As far as sound differences, the nearest comparison I have is my KG 5.5's and LaScalas. The KG's are 2 way and sound more open with more upfront and deeper bass but does not have the intimate detail in the mid range that the LaScalas have. I much prefer my KG 5.5s for rocking out to Hip Hop and Electronic music while the LaScalas win hands down on more traditional music like Classic Rock, Jazz etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I think the RF-7 III will be marketed more to the Home Theater crowd while the Fortes will be more to the music crowd. As far as sound differences, the nearest comparison I have is my KG 5.5's and LaScalas. The KG's are 2 way and sound more open with more upfront and deeper bass but does not have the intimate detail in the mid range that the LaScalas have. I much prefer my KG 5.5s for rocking out to Hip Hop and Electronic music while the LaScalas win hands down on more traditional music like Classic Rock, Jazz etc.

That is exactly my experience with my late KG 5.2.  Carver electronics and would play rap, hard rock, electro and metal all day at loud volumes.  Outstanding.

The Lascalas I've had, more to cherish vocals and focusing on realism of instruments.

Thanks grizzog, twk123, and jwc for your interesting comments.

Will the Forte III and Cornwall III sound similar?   Is the difference that the Cornwall is larger and more expensive than the Forte III?  (Or, do they have different horns?)

I wish there existed a local hi-fi shop where I could hear the various Klipsch products side-by-side, listening to my choice of music (classical).  It would be a great way to spend a cold winter afternoon!   I own RF7, RF7 II, and Palladium (plus other brands).   In most rooms in my home I need the narrower tower speakers.  However, in my basement I could accommodate something wider … perhaps La Scala, or Cornwall, or Forte … or maybe even Jubilee.   The problem is that I have no opportunity to hear them.    (Plus, my basement is unfinished – it's where my exercise equipment is located.  I’d hate to put expensive, beautifully-finished speakers in the basement.  Which causes me to be intrigued by the Jubilee for my basement …) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

Thanks grizzog, twk123, and jwc for your interesting comments.

Will the Forte III and Cornwall III sound similar?   Is the difference that the Cornwall is larger and more expensive than the Forte III?  (Or, do they have different horns?)

I wish there existed a local hi-fi shop where I could hear the various Klipsch products side-by-side, listening to my choice of music (classical).  It would be a great way to spend a cold winter afternoon!   I own RF7, RF7 II, and Palladium (plus other brands).   In most rooms in my home I need the narrower tower speakers.  However, in my basement I could accommodate something wider … perhaps La Scala, or Cornwall, or Forte … or maybe even Jubilee.   The problem is that I have no opportunity to hear them.    (Plus, my basement is unfinished – it's where my exercise equipment is located.  I’d hate to put expensive, beautifully-finished speakers in the basement.  Which causes me to be intrigued by the Jubilee for my basement …) 

Honestly, I believe the Forte III will sound better overall. The Cornwall has an older horn design and it looks like Roy really pulled out the stops on the new Forte. He has been quite involved in the design of the Pro speakers and it looks like he took a lot of the engineering from that side and put it into the Forte III.  I think the last time Roy was given near free reign on a design was the Version 1 CF-4 which is regarded as one of the best fidelity speakers Klipsch has ever produced. Roy is very serious about PWK's legacy and engineering and I am sure that he knows what this speaker means and how to best bring over modern elements. I really hope he gives us a writeup on how they were designed and the though process.

Forte III horns:

Forte III.JPG

Pro Audio Horns:

KPT-325-M

• Like 2

I must have been sleeping because Klipsch took me by surprise with all of this.  I think it is excellent Marketing and choice of product mix.  Very happy to see all this new stuff.

My son is at the show and sent me some pics of all this yesterday and I really didn't have time to digest until today.

15s baby..................Heh!  I want............to hear, to play with, and to take apart and look inside.

Forte III.  Big surprise, look fabulous and I'm sure they sound it too.

Heritage Headphones.  Who thought of that?  

• Like 1

With so many unique, new products in several categories, does Klipsch do all the design and engineering in-house, I wonder?  If, so, they must have quite the design and engineering team.

Regarding the integrated amp, looks very nice with lots of features for the money.  However, IMO, it needs more spdif inputs to be the hub of an AV system.  I think there is only 1 optical spdif input.  If one uses the optical for their TV audio connection, there would be no additional digital inputs for audio streaming devices such as a Sonos Connect or Chromecast Audio, etc.

I'm also curious about the power rating specifics.

4 hours ago, Grizzog said:

For a lot of us here, we prefer the Heritage sound. Not everyone, but a large chunk. The fact that Roy Delgado designed them is a HUGE plus and major selling point. He was PWK's right hand man and creates some amazing speakers.

Speaking for RF-7II vs Forte - yes. (I owned them both and still have forte.) Which one you would like better would be personal preference. Me? Forte.

According to current specs, Forte is 99db, RF-7 is 101. This has nothing to do with two way vs 3 way though.

Quoting the whole thing as pretty much my opinion.  Forte's are superb, and definitely share the "Heritage" sound.  Forte III only has to equal the original to be a winner.

Dave

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, adam2434 said:

With so many unique, new products in several categories, does Klipsch do all the design and engineering in-house, I wonder?  If, so, they must have quite the design and engineering team.

Regarding the integrated amp, looks very nice with lots of features for the money.  However, IMO, it needs more spdif inputs to be the hub of an AV system.  I think there is only 1 optical spdif input.  If one uses the optical for their TV audio connection, there would be no additional digital inputs for audio streaming devices such as a Sonos Connect or Chromecast Audio, etc.

I'm also curious about the power rating specifics.

It is all in house, labs in Hope and Indianapolis . They duplicated the anechoic chamber in Hope up in Indianapolis so the two labs could collaborate

20 hours ago, robert_kc said:

Without hearing either pair, I'd guess the RF-7 III will be aimed more toward home theater and the Forte will be aimed more for music.

I haven't heard either series, but I've heard the step before each speaker in the RP-280F and Heresy. The RP has a bigger top-end and more air, but the Heresy has incredible midrange. It sounds better to me on much more content than the RP speakers do. And the Heresy's top end opened up much better when I got a better amp, so now they seem to give the whole package

I'd be just as excited to audition a pair of RF-7 IIIs, but assuming a similar difference in tone on the new speakers, my choice will be the Forte III. The RP-280Fs have more of a modern hifi sound to my ears that some people might prefer, while the Heresy sounds more natural. It's Klipsch's way of keeping fans of both sounds happy.

30 minutes ago, robert_kc said:

Thanks for the video showing the Forte III in wood veneer.  That looks much more appealing to me than black.

Given the Forte III's rear mounted 15" passive radiator, how far out from a wall should it be placed?

I'd give it 6" minimum or further to taste. 

• Chad unfeatured this topic
  • Chad unpinned this topic