Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

😂 yeah you´re right JJ but not enough MC´s so I ordered a brand new one today , the risk for NoS MC carts is too big , hope that the Yamaha MC 11 cart will be okay , but as our deliverence serices striking all over germany , the arrival will be delayed . If you buy NoS MI or MM´s at least you can change the needle, the cart bodies will last forever , they aren´t the problem. Got my learing lesson.

So I bought this one today a Shelter 501 MK III MC from the japanese legend Mr .Yazuo Osawa , working for japanese Fidelity Research many years before he founded his own company Shelter .

1583303695_Shelter501MKIII.jpg.03f9751cde210234e136188dad7e1d5a.jpg

I've read good reviews on this cart. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Gotta stir that pot when i get a chance with you guys.  Welcome to the gaggle KROCK.  Tried to stir the pot a bit w/em just to keep them awake over there.  lol  

Ja let´s stir in the royal pot again

KT.thumb.jpg.ec77aabef57e34bc24a2c296fd3b88a1.jpg

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Full Range said:

Can I join in the party please 😎

The only Benson in the collection 

Artist - George Benson 

Title - Give Me The Knight 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/3250509-George-Benson-Give-Me-The-Night

44091300-9-AE9-4-C51-A444-293704-D856-E6

Paul , I like the ballades very much, but get the "breezin "album as well, first class jazz , one of his best , available as japanese print also, not so commerical like " give me the night "

• Like 3

Following the advice of @MicroMaraI upgraded my analoge circuit by investing in an elliptical Jico needle for my vintage tangential Technics SL DL1. Cost was 57 euro plus 6 euro postage, sent to me from Denmark. 

I have been listening to various albums and, boy, this has been an eye opener. The detail is so much better in the highs and the lows are a lot more punchy. So the resolution must be much higher now!

The scariest experience was the album below, which is a great Bach recording for harpsichord and violin. And when I say scariest, I mean it in the literal meaning: I can hear the far away, deep rumble of a truck on a roundabout, picked up by the microphone. Makes me think of the scene in Saving Private Ryan, when you hear the rumble of the far away German tanks approaching the town... Next to that I can pick up the low sounds of the quils and the harpsichord mechanics!

In Daft Punk's RAM, there is a song with a heavily computerized voice, of which today, I picked up an grainy effect I hadn't heard before. Scary! 

PSX_20230208_163937.jpg

PSX_20230208_163919.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Full Range said:

Can I join in the party please 😎

The only Benson in the collection 

Artist - George Benson 

Title - Give Me The Knight 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/3250509-George-Benson-Give-Me-The-Night

White Rabbit- I got this about a year ago- heard the title track on the radio (wfuv) became intrigued. It’s good!

https://www.discogs.com/master/64220-George-Benson-White-Rabbit?format=Vinyl&country=US&year=1972

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

...not an elliptical :blush:

* credit @dirtmudd for this site's info pages.

Sure you would find this posted by him in the early triple digit pages of this thread.

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

Save this site! It's a treasure trove of cartridge & cart setup information!

Edited by JohnJ
* explanation for my reaction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, amped said:

White Rabbit- I got this about a year ago- heard the title track on the radio (wfuv) became intrigued. It’s good!

https://www.discogs.com/master/64220-George-Benson-White-Rabbit?format=Vinyl&country=US&year=1972

I agree got this as well 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KROCK said:

Pushing 48 hrs. on the cart, W/Billie Holiday.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc27db936dff2781f51f51a482c18b70.jpeg

Like your setup, of course, but also the fact that the album is still in its plastic wrapping.

Twenty or twenty five years ago, I gave Holiday's 'Lady in Satin' to a friend as a gift. I recently bought the CD for myself. This is one of her last recordings. It was the last release while she was still alive, in 1958. She sounds fragile on it, like a ghost almost, but it brings the songs to a higher level, in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_in_Satin

Ladyinsatin2.jpg

• Like 6

Today, I got a new Jico stylus replacement in the mail, and I've been enjoying it all afternoon. The impact on sound quality in the chain is very positive. 

In the past year and a half, I have mostly invested in buying CDs and vinyl albums, not in hardware.

Maybe it's a bit inappropriate to post about the total cost of my setup, but I'm not expecting anybody to do the same, I just like to share this with you because I've been really enjoying the music while not allowing myself costly investments because I have three teenage kids/students, so there isn't a lot of budget available. 

This is the gear I have acquired over the past 5 years or so, and now forms my main system:

• 1972 Klipsch Heresy speakers (€700)
  • Leben Hifi CS300 (€1,200) + €100 worth of tubes
  • Technics SL DL1  (€75) + two styli (€30 (Thakker) and €63 (Jico))
  • iFi Zen Phono (open box price €124 (retail price is €199))
  • Advance Acoustic MicroStreamer (€129)
  • Marantz CD5005 (open box price €170)
  • Beyerdynamic DT990Pro 250 Ohm (open box price €129)

Total investment: €2,720

Most of this gear was bought after getting advice here and doing a lot of reading on this forum. I did buy some other gear as well, but that's not in my main system.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Today, I got a new Jico stylus replacement in the mail, and I've been enjoying it all afternoon. The impact on sound quality in the chain is very positive. 

In the past year and a half, I have mostly invested in buying CDs and vinyl albums, not in hardware.

Maybe it's a bit inappropriate to post about the total cost of my setup, but I'm not expecting anybody to do the same, I just like to share this with you because I've been really enjoying the music while not allowing myself costly investments because I have three teenage kids/students, so there isn't a lot of budget available. 

This is the gear I have acquired over the past 5 years or so, and now forms my main system:

• 1972 Klipsch Heresy speakers (€700)
  • Leben Hifi CS300 (€1,200) + €100 worth of tubes
  • Technics SL DL1  (€75) + two styli (€30 (Thakker) and €63 (Jico))
  • iFi Zen Phono (open box price €124 (retail price is €199))
  • Advance Acoustic MicroStreamer (€129)
  • Marantz CD5005 (open box price €170)
  • Beyerdynamic DT990Pro 250 Ohm (open box price €129)

Total investment: €2,720

Most of this gear was bought after getting advice here and doing a lot of reading on this forum. I did buy some other gear as well, but that's not in my main system.

Money well spent! About the time I started posting here I got the good advice to look for used gear, insted of buying new, which I couldn´t at the time. So far there´s not one piece of gear I regreted buying.

I read about the Leben Amps and CD players. Plan to try out a Jico on one of my Duals in the future.

• Like 4