What I Got Today!

Brac

I got some new Sennheiser HD 598 headphones today. Very pleasing sound plugged into the OPPOMusicMusicMusic

Very nice!! And speaking of headphones, this just arrived in the mail earlier today. I was out and about all day, so did not realize until much later in the evening when I got back to the house that this was sitting in the mail (was thinking that UPS was going to deliver, but turned out that this was arriving by regular US postal service mail).

I bought myself a FiiO E07K 'Andes' headphone amp/DAC. This is actually a pretty impressive little unit and drives my Klipsch Custom-3 headphones beautifully. I am using my 160 gig iPod Classic as the source. Along with the amp itself, I also got the 'LOD' cable, which connects into the dock connector of the iPod, thus delivering a digital signal directly to the amp instead of going through the headphone port. This unit really sounds quite clean and detailed. It is a definite improvement over playing directly from the iPod itself. For only $90 for the package, I am really impressed. I've been wanting a small portable headphone amp/DAC ever since I've gotten the Custom-3s when THOSE were brand-new. Everything was either too big or to expensive. Finally found something that is perfect for my needs.

head-phone-amp-DACSmall_zps1b61222e.jpg

Will be using the 5.1 analog outputs to my Marantz pre/pro for surround

Nice on the OPPO, may consider getting the 103 as I don't need the DAC input and such of the 105.

However, the reason I may not need the DAC is because I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, perhaps in the middle of July (at least after the 4th), to replace this aging Denon that I currently have. Not only that, but I also already have a really nice Pioneer N-50 DAC/network streamer, so the 105 would be redundant for that huge extra cost. Everything I've read and heard on the Marantz is that it is a friggan BEAST, fully capable of 4K upconversion, really high-end DACs and full support of all the latest surround formats. Basically everything but the kitchen sink on that thing, plus the reviews that I've seen says it sounds incredible! I am curious to how you been liking your Marantz pre/pro. Will be interesting also to hear your impressions on the OPPO player as well.

However, the reason I may not need the DAC is because I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

I like my Marantz , it's a solid great sounding pre/pro . My AV8003 is however 5 year old technology and it doesn't do 4k or 3D for that matter . Can't really compare to the unit you are looking at . It is THX Ultra 2 certified and the new unit is not . Heck , that was why I went with the 8003 over the newer at the time 7005 . Seems Marantz is no longer concerned with THX certification . Does it make a difference , ehh who knows .

The Oppo 105 is a beast . It's much beefier than my 83 which is the same size as the 103 . The more miles it clocks the better it is sounding . If you already have a DAC that your happy with the 103 would probably suit you better than the 105 . I bought the 105 for it's separate 2 channel processor outputs . No need for an additional pre or DAC for my 2 channel rig which I still have not hooked up . I have a feeling it's going to be pretty cool .

However, the reason I may not need the DAC is because I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

I like my Marantz , it's a solid great sounding pre/pro . My AV8003 is however 5 year old technology and it doesn't do 4k or 3D for that matter . Can't really compare to the unit you are looking at . It is THX Ultra 2 certified and the new unit is not . Heck , that was why I went with the 8003 over the newer at the time 7005 . Seems Marantz is no longer concerned with THX certification . Does it make a difference , ehh who knows .

Cool, thanks. I knew you had an older unit, but all the write-ups that I have been seeing is saying that this newer AV8801 really is nice. I am personally not concerned about THX certification. My B&K amp is, though, but 'S2' versions of the exact same amp don't have the ceritification. However, from what I was reading from the various reviews, I am pretty certain that the AV8801 could easily be THX certified, but I am willing to bet that Marantz just does not want to spend the money to go through the ceritification process, especially, if in the end, it really does not add anything special to the unit as is. Probably the same reason why B&K did not bother with certification on the 'S2' versions of my amp. Yeah, it looks cool to see that big THX logo there on the front panel, but in the end, I could care less.

The Oppo 105 is a beast . It's much beefier than my 83 which is the same size as the 103 . The more miles it clocks the better it is sounding . If you already have a DAC that your happy with the 103 would probably suit you better than the 105 . I bought the 105 for it's separate 2 channel processor outputs . No need for an additional pre or DAC for my 2 channel rig which I still have not hooked up . I have a feeling it's going to be pretty cool .

Everything that I've also read on the OPPO 105 indicates that thing is indeed quite the unit. Hell, from what I understand, it could more than likely be used stand-alone with an outboard amp! But yes, in my case, I already have a DAC that I am happy with, thus I don't feel the need for that extra expense for the 105, when the 103 will suit me just fine. First thing first is to get the new pre/pro - at $3,600 it is not going to be cheap, but heck, if I can get 10 years out of that one like I have out of my current Denon unit, I will be quite happy.

Thanks for your input.

I spotted this locally on Craigslist yesterday, and at the selling price I could not get there fast enough...

It's a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver, in minty condition, complete with the original box, remote, and manual... [8-|]

I used to own its little brother (RX-V795), and these older units sound surprisingly good when used as a 2 channel amp... [Y]

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Have you checked Accesories4less ? http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV8801/Marantz-AV8801-11.2-channel-A/V-Pre-amp/Processor/1.html

You wouldn't pay msrp right ? ;)

If I am about to pay that kind of money on something, I am NOT going to go online to some site that I am not familier with. I'd much rather get it locally at a dealer that I know and trust, in this case a very small, high-end "boutique" dealer that is right here in downtown Fredericksburg. There is something you just don't see much of anymore. Yeah, I could save some really good money, there, but I really don't want to deal with on-line and the shipping and all that crap, especially if something ends up going awry. I'll try to haggle with him a little bit though, and see what he could do.

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Have you checked Accesories4less ? http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV8801/Marantz-AV8801-11.2-channel-A/V-Pre-amp/Processor/1.html

You wouldn't pay msrp right ? ;)

If I am about to pay that kind of money on something, I am NOT going to go online to some site that I am not familier with. I'd much rather get it locally at a dealer that I know and trust, in this case a very small, high-end "boutique" dealer that is right here in downtown Fredericksburg. There is something you just don't see much of anymore. Yeah, I could save some really good money, there, but I really don't want to deal with on-line and the shipping and all that crap, especially if something ends up going awry. I'll try to haggle with him a little bit though, and see what he could do.

Man , did I strike a nerve there ? Not my intention .

Man , did I strike a nerve there ? Not my intention .

Looking at that again, that did come off sounding a little harsh. Not my intention either (the problem with text-based communications).

I was just trying to convey that when it comes to big purchases like that, I just simply feel more comfortable dealing locally and not always go online, regardless of what kind of savings I may ultimately realize. I know that some significant savings can be had, though. I did check out that site and looked tempting, but in this case, I am going to try the local dealer first.

My apologies if I came off a bit harsh there. [:)]

I had that exact unit when it was brand new and it never let me down one single time. A good friend of mine is still using it now.

Very highly regarded unit.

Nice find

Indeed, one of the words I have always used to describe Yamaha gear is reliability... Along with good looks, build quality, and sound quality... [Y]

And for those wondering, I stole it for $60... [8-|]

Hey Rick you have been on quite a roll with the equipment lately!

Indeed!! This area is not excactly a hotbed for these kind of scores, but lately I've been hitting the jackpot for some reason...

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!