What I Got Today!

Brac

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a Yamaha PDX-11 speaker dock today. Like most of them, it's set up for IPhones and iPods, but it has an Aux In socket for use with Android phones and PCs. The shape is cool and they were on sale for about half price at $79. It's not going to rock a beach party, but for listening with a small group it works great. Also, for portable sound, stereo is almost irrelevant, so one bigger speaker makes better sound than two little ones.

The dock doesn't actually have a speaker the size of the housing. It has a 4-inch woofer and a 1-3/8-inch tweeter. The amp consumes (puts out?) 8 watts. The PDX-11 runs on 6 AA cells and comes with an AC adapter. I'm having fun with it. It makes great sound for the price.

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Geare/yamaha-pdx-11-iphone-ipod-speaker-dock.html

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/01/yamahas-ruggedized-pdx-11-ipod-speaker-dock-lets-you-blast-beat/

I've been listening for a couple of hours on the sofa, after driving on the highway with it hanging off the passenger headrest on a bungee cord, so I could hear YouTube music I don't have on disc in the van. This little unit is fun! It's got lots of bass, and its tone is changeable by how and where you position it. By moving it a bit one way or the other on the sofa I could have muffled or clean bass, and the highs can be adjusted too, and you can get good bass and treble at the same time.

It's a bass-reflex enclosure, with a port at the back. No tone control, just an On/Off button and Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. I had to switch off the Dr Dre EQ in the phone so the bass wouldn't be excessive on most songs, but it was useful on one or two.

A pair of speakers that I've wanted to try for a long while. As y'all know, this model doesn't come up for sale often on the used market. They are in excellent condition (the grills were still in the sealed boxes, never used), and sequential serial numbers. For what I got them for, I could not pass them up... [8-|] I only wish they were in mahogany finish, other than that I'm quite pleased with my find...

Also, it was one of the last of the RB Series speakers made in Hope, Arkansas... [Y] Does anyone know which of the RB series was the last to be made in Hope, was it the RB-5ii? Or maybe the RB-35?? [*-)]

photo KlipschRB-5001_zpsb19ef45d.jpg

photo KlipschRB-5003_zps1431f296.jpg

photo KlipschRB-5006_zps2d7c7533.jpg

photo KlipschRB-5010_zps17570ecc.jpg

Rick,

Very nice and with perfect grills(pegs) and boxes.

Does anyone know which of the RB series was the last to be made in Hope, was it the RB-5ii? Or maybe the RB-35?? Confused

Neither. The RB-75's were last Reference bookshelf speaker to be built in hope. The RB-35's were made in China I think.

Bill

My new surge suppressor power conditiner with voltage meter / ammeterand gooseneck lamp arrived by Fed Ex Saturday morning.

WhatIGot_FurmanPL-PlustDMC.jpg

Furman PL-Plus DMC and a goose neck light for the BNC connector on the back.

Nice Ben....

The 10th was my Cakeday and I spent it shopping lawn sales and eating sushi.

My big find was a Vornado B38C1-1 fan. Now having owned a few modern Vornado's I have been on the lookout for some time in a attempt to buy a restorable vintage classic.

This had been sitting all day at a lawn sale on a busy street so it must have been my lucky day!

I dropped 2 digits small cash for it and ran. Speaking of running all the coils and motor run and look great.

The fan itself needs paint (Mint Blue and Gray & Bronze grill paint.) someone replaced the original switch with a two way I'm ordering a new 3 way w knob a cord and rubber grommet kit from http://www.rcrescent.com/ to get the full restore going.

I may decide to go with a new paint scheme, perhaps John Deere or even Klipsch seeing the final resting place will be atop of a glass covered Cornwall in my living room.

Here is some background on this fan.

Vintage Fifties Ames Era Vornado Electric Fan! Model B38C1-1 Manufactured by

O. A. Sutton Corporation of Wichita, Kansas, USA designed by Ralph K. Odor based on a aviation inspired patent of his. Vornado fans were designed to move a high volume of air efficiently. On high this fan is designed to direct a high velocity breeze, yet on low, a soothing quiet gentle breeze. This Ames Era fan features: Heavy duty all metal construction Deep pitch 12 inch steel blade Three speed switch

Stands 20 inches high by 18 inches wide Fifties Ames Era design.

Letter code: C

Desk fans with the letter C in their model number are the later, and most common, desk fans. They were made from 1950-1958 and for the most part had three different variations over the years. The earliest variation is recognizable by it's brass guard which has the fewest amount of rings vs the other variations. The second and third have an aluminum guard with more rings than the first one, and the third was offered in four various color schemes, traditional Vornado Green, Coral Rose, Mint Blue, or Mist Gray.

38C1 12" Circulator, brass 3 ring guard 1950-1955

post-46438-13819858181128_thumb.jpg

Progress so far. The colors will be a brighter blue, Maui Blue- (base & front shroud), OEM Grey- (Blades Motor & inner struts), OEM style Metallic copper- (Grill n badge, base ornament) Ordering new 3 way switch and authentic knob, rubber feet for the base and a vibration grommet kit. Adding a 10ft white cord and new wiring. Going to clean the motor and prep the rest this week.

post-46438-13819858240778_thumb.jpg

Hey there Jsaint! This is really very nice! I have loved fans since a kid. I never realized how long Vornado was in business! What year is this model?

We have a later generation flagship model at home and TWO of the yellow industrial models at work of the latest model line. Those are VERY powerful fans and when you start them on high speed, the revup is INSTANT, I would say full speed in half a second!!! Keep us informed with your progress ok ?? Great job !!

.......Gary

Very nice Cretes craftmenship there ! I have enjoyed a nice relationship with Bob some years back when I bought new caps for my series 'A' crossovers, K-77 replacements and new K-55 diaphrams for my '67 K'Horns [Y]

Won't you share with us the results after they are installed ??

Thanks for posting....

............Gary

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!