Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

8 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Seems really dumb without precise road directions.

My thoughts, too!

That said, it is remarkable to see all the prepared volunteers going in with their personal boats, etc. and taking people out of their flooded neighborhoods and into shelters.  This is hell on earth in so many respects, but the way it is being handled overall is very admirable.  

I agree improvements can be made along the lines of information access.  It's a big geographic area.  Information needs to be provided on a more local level.

3 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Are there still any open roads through Houston and out of harms way?

I doubt it.  I know Interstate 10 West-bound is flooded.  No fleeing to Austin from here.  The long, blue lines are road closures.  The light, blue dots with the water drip are flooded spots.

Capture.PNG

While it might seem counter intuitive, I suggested to folks there that IF they felt the need to get out to look at 146.  From what I can see it appears to be open across the bridge to Baytown.  After that, not sure.  South to Galveston and out across San Luis Pass looked possible...but also hard to really judge.  You have any intel on that, Jeff?

Dave

Just now, Mallette said:

While it might seem counter intuitive, I suggested to folks there that IF they felt the need to get out to look at 146.  From what I can see it appears to be open across the bridge to Baytown.  After that, not sure.  South to Galveston and out across San Luis Pass looked possible...but also hard to really judge.  You have any intel on that, Jeff?

Dave

I don't have any on that, Dave.  When disaster hits home like this, all I can think is "local."  It's nerve-wrecking.  What an incredible amount of displacement that is going on.

• Like 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Thanks for asking, Christy.  I am doing fine.  I have very close friends whose home has either already flooded or most certainly will in the next few hours.  People are being taken out of their neighborhood by boat.  Practically all the residents stayed there, so there are hundreds of homes with occupants being evacuated just in the small circle I included on the map of West Houston.  Multiply that scenario all over the Gulf Coast, and you can see that everyone here knows a close friend who is being flooded.  It's awful!

@Jeff Matthews just know all of you are in our thoughts and prayers. I don't think anyone can understand the feelings unless they've experienced them firsthand. I'm thankful everyday that we evacuated for Katrina, but the news reports and first hand observations upon our return home the next day are enough to last  me a lifetime. While watching the reports and reading posts like this my heart just breaks. It's difficult to keep my emotions in check. 

• Like 5

Here's a photo of a middle school a few miles down the road where a large group of friends meet and we all line up on the track and do some power-walking to music.  The tennis courts are in front, and the track is behind them to the left.  The flooded creek is in the foreground, and you can see how it has breached its bank.  This is probably 6-8 miles upstream from Barker Dam.

59a4bfe88bb28_mmexport15039687389101.jpg.5febab6aece8b42316a578e18d2bdcbd.jpg

• Sad 3

And the "experts" from both the left and right news vultures already ask what could have been done to avert this disaster. The rain hasn't even stopped and already looking to place blame - somewhere - anywhere - someone - anyone. Dammit, fault must and will be found !!! No matter to the thousands suffering. 

• Like 1

I hope that help is provided quickly for all the displaced people. It's hard to imagine the feeling of running from your home and losing everything, then having nowhere to go. 

At least the media is showing people performing act of kindness, mostly to people they don't even know. The media on Katrina seemed to concentrate on most of the bad stuff.

• Like 2

I saw a story about the Houston football player JJ Watt. He was out of town and felt very bad he couldn't get home quickly enough to help people out. So he made a few phone calls to his buddies, between them and his charity, he quickly raised $500k, he seems like a very nice guy. I don't think he did this for the publicity.

• Like 2