Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I have an alternate route to get to work but it will pretty much double my commute.  Unfortunately there's several bridges that way too.  Fingers crossed the none of those collapse.

This is one of the major issues relief help, workers and citizens of this area encountered after Katina. The north and south shores of Lake Pontchatrain were cut off, except for one route. That route was flooded for over four weeks, as were the communities they connected. That being said, once the foooding began receding work actively begun on repairs to at least one of the bridges almost immediately. 

If we don't know history we will surely repeat it. In cases of natural disasters there are always lessons to be learned. A few questions everyone should ask themselvesc is "Can we mitigate our losses during this event. Should we evacuate?  We have a back up plan?", not necessarily in that order. That should just be the beginning of the process for most individuals, especially in areas prone to certain tropes of natural disasters. 

There are differences between the damage impacts on communities of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Katrina, but there is also a lot of commonality. I'm hopeful that some of lessons we learned before, during and after Hurricane Katrina were implemented by our community leaders when Hurricane Harvey was first expected to impact a major metropolitan area. 

There were a couple issues that we had.  First, in Corpus, the storm was to make landfall as a cat 1 which will have a different evacuation protocol than a cat 4 which is how I think it landed as.  The second major issue I perceived is that there is normally no evacuation orders for a tropical storm which is how it did all it's damage here and in Houston.  There's normally evacuation for wind, but not rain.  Maybe they need to rethink that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

There were a couple issues that we had.  First, in Corpus, the storm was to make landfall as a cat 1 which will have a different evacuation protocol than a cat 4 which is how I think it landed as.  The second major issue I perceived is that there is normally no evacuation orders for a tropical storm which is how it did all it's damage here and in Houston.  There's normally evacuation for wind, but not rain.  Maybe they need to rethink that.

Serious things to think about.  Being low lands, if you have a water filled tropical storm moving at 1-3mph, 45-50mph winds are not the issue but it is going to dump a heck of a lot of water.  On a low lying area, that is devastating. And it was.

Wind is dangerous too but you bring up that there should be two qualities that are the gauge for evacuation. 

14 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Serious things to think about.  Being low lands, if you have a water filled tropical storm moving at 1-3mph, 45-50mph winds are not the issue but it is going to dump a heck of a lot of water.  On a low lying area, that is devastating. And it was.

Wind is dangerous too but you bring up that there should be two qualities that are the gauge for evacuation. 

It's hard to predict as they've proven.  I think originally we were predicted to get about 25 inches which is bad.  We would have flooding but nothing on the scale that we've had as we got at least twice that.  Every maximum height that's on record for every river, bayou, stream, creek and body of water has been broken in this last week due to Harvey.  I've been in this area 30 years and have never seen anything remotely close to this.