Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

@Youthmanwhat is the plan for your 20 sandbags?  I presume to cover up door entrences, that sort of thing.

My plan is to tie one to each of my children's legs to keep them from flying away.  :lol:  Yes, you are correct.  We have a very large triple sliding glass door in the back yard.  I plan on putting down a tarp, laying two layers of sand bags across the front of it to help keep water from coming in should it flood.  We are pretty high so I don't think we will have an issue but you just never know.

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What is your experience with previous hurricanes which have blown through your area?  I doubt there is anyplace for the water to drain, is there a chance your house could actually flood?  Not being from there, it's really hard to imagine.

I've lived in Plant City for 42 years.  4 of those years I lived in Alabama and a bad storm came through but didn't hit our area directly.  Don't really have any "experience", you remove any items outside (patio furniture, plants etc), I'm going to pull my truck in the garage and back it up against the door so that it will help prevent the wind from blowing it in. 

19 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

When do you load up the wagons and head out of town?

When it is mandatory.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The other problem with that is that it's so narrow (comparatively) that the storm can pick up moisture from the Atlantic and the Gulf at the same time.

That has crossed my mind but, not telling her as, it may not be helpful with nerves.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

That has crossed my mind but, not telling her as, it may not be helpful with nerves.

The problem I see for both you and @Youthman is the major roads headed OUT are clogged even on a normal day! 

When you add hundreds of thousands headed north I don't see any way you can avoid having those roads turned into a giant parking lot unless the governor orders the lanes of all interstates one-way going north, or unless you leave basically now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, billybob said:

There is enough drama and emotion on the networks. Told her that panicky people do not always make the best decisions. Example: we head out on 1-10 to find a place farther away than the Tallahassee area, and then that very small % of projection puts us closer to a landfall around Fort Walton Beach. One would be better off in New Orleans or, staying put where we plan to. Not far from home..

And then there are the 3 cats. Do you leave them or take with you... Doing my thing today and planning adaptably as event unfolds.

Bathtubs, one will be filled. Check

After the initial shock in Nov `92 moving to Ormond Bch I had a blast in FL for the decade I was there. Under the spell of a veritable gypsy we didn't have season changes, we changed zip codes. Ormond, beachside Daytona, Orlando, Maitland, Rockledge, Pt St John. I sincerely hope all the good folks I knew there plus you folks have gotten out from under the threat. 

Get those systems away from windows, wrapped in plastic, sealed with duct tape. Hope you do alright!

AccuWeather is now showing me 79 then 68 mph Monday and Mon eve in my zip here in jim&tammyland. I'm moving the car from under the not particularly healthy maples to the back yard Sun night. Putting the grill, table & chairs behind the bushes. That info from accuweather doesn't necessarily correlate with what the timeline laid out by the http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc shows unless the NE side retains a lot of strength after a day over the southeast.

Hugo caught me by surprise, won't happen again!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

The problem I see for both you and @Youthman is the major roads headed OUT are clogged even on a normal day! 

When you add hundreds of thousands headed north I don't see any way you can avoid having those roads turned into a giant parking lot unless the governor orders the lanes of all interstates one-way going north, or unless you leave basically now.

I've seen I-4 westbound only several times in the 90s.

I was perturbed to see I-95 stopped dead in Volusia county northbound yesterday evening on the tv the other side almost empty!!!! 

Get your S*it together FL!

7 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Let's see if I remember your 3 day rule.

Day 1- Forget to fill the bathtub

Day 2- Forget to fill the bathtub

Day 3- Forget to fill the bathtub

Like I said, I didn't need it.

If you have occasion to fill it, it's a good idea to line it with plastic as most all tub drain plugs leak slightly.  If you don't have a large enough piece of plastic, you can use box or duct tape to help seal the drain plug.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I was perturbed to see I-95 stopped dead in Volusia county northbound yesterday evening on the tv the other side almost empty!!!! 

I guess they haven't figured out that you can use south bound lanes to head north yet.  We learned that a long time ago.

46 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I guess they haven't figured out that you can use south bound lanes to head north yet.  We learned that a long time ago.

Actually I've seen parts of I-95 in central FL northbound only, During the apocalyptic fire that I saw it start near St Augustine in 1998, July 4,1998 100+ degrees raining burning embers on me where I lived off of Howell Branch Rd., looked like a dark sheer vertical wall miles high coming, snow like stuff that built up on the ground that was ashes, some of it still in flames as it hit the ground.

1996 five storms lined up in the Atlantic, I think three of them hit us as tropical storms. Cops with megaphones chased us off the swing stage on a hotel on New Smyrna Bch one time. Think I-4 & I-95 had one way travel a couple times that summer.

It was a different governor then. I did just see Gov. Scott say they had to allow for the gas tankers to get gas south to that giant metro area, South FL. It's just about one single city from Vero south, and I haven't seen in ten years now.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Someone told me today that their parents left at 4am this morning to go out of state and at noon, they were only in Ocala.  FYI, Ocala is typically only a 2hr drive from us.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Cops with megaphones chased us off the swing stage on a hotel on New Smyrna Bch one time. Think I-4 & I-95 had one way travel a couple times that summer.

I lived in New Smyrna Beach for 2 years and Daytona for 4 years.  My oldest brother still has a home in NSB.

• Like 1