Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

Coming to Tallahassee from 20 miles west of, first noticed the road near where I get on I-10 had cars backed up to the corner looking to fillup. Have not recalled that before. Then on the trip on 10, quite some lot of cars heading west as I travelled with ordinary traffic into the city. Then a place near my Cottage I came to check on and spend the night bogged with 10 traffic away from the interchange 5 miles into town for fillups. People are travelling out of Dodge, for sure to points west, north, and wherever.

There aren't too many good reasons to stay in Florida.  Take it from me over here in Katy (which is West Houston).  When the place is undergoing a disaster, there's not much good that being there can do.  What are you going to do, stand around and watch the ship go down?

If you're not lucky, you get hurt or stranded without basic amenities, like electricity and running water, and perhaps the roof stripped off your home or flooding.  Your world just got struck by disaster, and everyone is looking for shelter, food and gas.  If you weren't there, it would also be better for all the other people who didn't leave.  You'd just be in their ways as they scramble.

All of Florida looks like a bad place to be.  Be smart and get out.

• Like 1

Yep.  Looking like it's going directly over my nieces house.  She lives right on the bay in Tampa.  I spoke with her yesterday and she evacuated around midnight.  Her husband is a Dr and has to stay.  I'm not quite sure where he'll sit it out but last I heard was a local hotel. 

Tampa is going to take it in the shorts.  I fear for my nieces house.  It's a beautiful 2 story right on the water.  Lots of glass especially on the top floor.  I also fear for her husband who has to stay.   As of an hour ago she was safely in the Atlanta area but I don't think she'll return to the same home she left.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Tampa is going to take it in the shorts.  I fear for my nieces house.  It's a beautiful 2 story right on the water.  Lots of glass especially on the top floor.  I also fear for her husband who has to stay.   As of an hour ago she was safely in the Atlanta area but I don't think she'll return to the same home she left.

I have relatives in the Ft Meyers and Tampa area, they all went to my Dad's house in Panama City Beach. They thought it would've been safer there, but now that the storm shifted west, they might move farther west. I hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I wondered if you were ok, haven't seen you around here lately. Somehow I knew you were ok:D

We were fine, went way up North (Indy) :o to help a friend with some irrigation. The 13 hour drive sucks, but we had fun, wish we would have had more time.