Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

12 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I have 3 large sliding glass windows on the West side of my home that I am concerned about.  Haven't bought any boards yet....not sure if I should or not.

Is there any way you could check with your local Home Depot or Lowes?

I'm guessing plywood, chain saws, generators, water and such are all sold out.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Wonder if you get 4X8X1/2 inch or better there local.

Our music pastor picked up some for his house this afternoon.  My dad had boards made from many years ago (may Andrew) that he installed today.

Latest forecast shows Irma going straight through Lakeland, which is 15 min East of us.

irma-map.jpg

5 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Our music pastor picked up some for his house this afternoon.  My dad had boards made from many years ago (may Andrew) that he installed today.

Latest forecast shows Irma going straight through Lakeland, which is 15 min East of us.

irma-map.jpg

Best to you down there. At least there is some material around. At this point, it is staying to the east of Tallahassee area.

4 minutes ago, Youthman said:

84 Lumber had plywood today.  Just debating on whether or not go try and go get some. 

I wonder how you would cover your windows with plywood without screwing it directly to the siding on the house?

I'm sure there's a Youtube vid or a website somewhere on how to attach plywood to protect windows during a hurricane event.

2 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Miami could really get slammed by this storm.

I'm watching Gov Scott right now on Fox News.  There are several mandatory evacuations ordered including Miami-Dade and Broward.

You should see the sign interpreter.  Her facial expressions are hilarious.  It looks like the SNL Obama/interpreter skit from a few years ago.  

(forgive the inappropriate humor, I'm just trying to provide a little stress relief through humor)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Haven't bought any boards yet....not sure if I should or not.

While I only lived in hurricane zone 10 years I already knew the drill when I got there as I had a LOT of family in Galveston.  First thing I did was hire a board up outfit to board up my house...not even close to hurricane season.  That made price and scheduling easy.  They put permanent mounts on every window, and cut ply to precise fits even for the round and triangular ornamentals for both floors.  

First time we had a hit, I was good as all I needed were my yard maintenance guys to put them in place.  No way I could handle the second floor alone.  Cost 200.00 to board up and no wait.  Did this drill several times between 2005 and when I moved away in 2015 and never had a broken window...though I had debris from Ike embedded in several of the boards. 

It's a bit late for any of you guys down there to do this as pro boarders get hard to schedule and prices go WAY up this late.  Way of the world.  If you are going to live in hurricane country, think ahead.  We had one during that period (Albert) that went from a low, to a TS, to a Cat 1 coming ashore in SIX HOURS.  Be prepared.

Dave

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I lived in New Smyrna Beach for 2 years and Daytona for 4 years.  My oldest brother still has a home in NSB.

To twist a quote by Ted:

"New Smyrna Beach...Such a healthy place for all the boys & girls, it's the shark bite capital of the world"

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Yes you have to drill into the cement walls.

So when the storms gone you take them down. Put some masonry sealer on the holes, touch up the paint and put anchors in the holes for the next time. Lots of places have that down there!

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You can board up your windows with these then remove them when done.  There's no holes to patch.

Plylox works well, but first time is a bit of a learning curve.  Also, unless you screw them through, they tend to fall of in transit/storage.  

Speaking of storage, make sure they are stored ASAP after the danger passes.   If you leave them out for a few weeks and get rain they'll start swelling.  Learned that one the hard way, but luckily most still fit OK and I only had to replace a couple after the first use.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I wonder how you would cover your windows with plywood without screwing it directly to the siding on the house?

I'm sure there's a Youtube vid or a website somewhere on how to attach plywood to protect windows during a hurricane event.

some of these right into the concrete block

Image result for box tapcons

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Tapcon screws work great.   I've used them for years.   They're perfect for brick, hold well and are easy to install with the proper sized bit.

You have to be careful with the Tapcons in concrete as you can mess up the hole with repeated uses. They do work great the first time. I used some in my artwork but later went to a modified helicoil system to use up the cadre of coils used for Corvette restoration.

JJK