Passive Jubilee Crossover controller...

Schu

• Moderators

That's why I said that because that was when he brought some expensive tube amps and they were also on the floor by the speakers, one mystake and you could have done some very expensive damage, way out of price range.

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- Ok, I've heard about these being hung on the wall. Are they Deans or ALK ?

Rigma is his name or forum name, I don't remember which.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- Ok, I've heard about these being hung on the wall. Are they Deans or ALK ?

LOL.

Those are @rigma

From design by @Chief bonehead

Search jubilee and crossiver and then filter posts by member rigma

There are a few threads on these he started, back in about 06 or 07.

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

-- damn. Looks like a 2x4 sheet of plywood.

--  Lets talk mathematical theory at Hope ?!? Although you should know a 4x8 sheet of plywood cut in half is much bigger than little 2x4 sheet, right ?! Do the math ?!

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

LOL.

Those are @rigma

From design by @Chief bonehead

Search jubilee and crossiver and then filter posts by member rigma

There are a few threads on these he started, back in about 06 or 07.

Oh, and while we were there Roy hand drew out a schematic for another type of crossover, steeper slope (Zobel?) and @mikebse2a3 proceded to build one with parts in the lab while @Trey Cannon helped him find some parts not right handy.

@dtel is 100% correct.  300B Set amps with NOS WE tubes.  

Of course, you know this, but for information sake, he built two jubes, working out the details, and then bought the rest from Klipsch.

Just goes to show you that crossovers like that, don't have to suck up all the power from low power amps. He built the crossovers, too.

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Of course, you know this, but for information sake, he built two jubes, working out the details, and then bought the rest from Klipsch.

Just goes to show you that crossovers like that, don't have to suck up all the power from low power amps. He built the crossovers, too.

Bruce

Bruce you are absolutely right.   He built two clones with Roy's approval and guidance.  There is a picture of them in Roy's office on a plaque that @rigma presented to @Chief bonehead as thanks.

Rigma also built his own amps and his own preamp.

Rigma got this "bug" from his father.  There is an awesome thread on hear about 10 years ago that Rigma started where he posted a newspaper article about his father building a set of Klipsch speakers from a kit and/or plans in the very early '70s.

Marion is like @dtel, you can hand him a stick and say "i want you to build me a house out of this" and he can.  He and his wife Becky are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

The only thing he is missing is an 1802.

Looking at the sub or subs he is using he really needs to ditch those, I had it's smaller brother the spud, which either model is NO way near the cleaner more detailed sound of the 1802 or the 1502. To me the Danelys are not even close.

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Marion is like @dtel, you can hand him a stick and say "i want you to build me a house out of this" and he can.  He and his wife Becky are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

But there is a difference, I do it because I am cheap and will not pay for something I can do myself. (unless it's terrible) :lol:

Your right, they are very nice people.

Notice: 1 board = for 1 speaker. He built two of those monstrosities - I'm pretty sure I'm right about the final cost.

There were two zobel circuits, one for the low pass and one for the high pass - used to flatten the impedance and present a benign load to a tube amp.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Deang said:

Notice: 1 board = for 1 speaker. He built two of those monstrosities - I'm pretty sure I'm right about the final cost.

That is my recollection as well, but those prices are from 10 years ago.  

3 hours ago, Deang said:

There were two zobel circuits, one for the low pass and one for the high pass - used to flatten the impedance and present a benign load to a tube amp.

You would know way better than me, going from memory.

I have no idea about the zobels but you are otherwise correct.

He built two of these monsters....  then a year later, found out about the TAD driver....  and built another pair.  As I recall the story, he could only use the huge coils in the new design.  My recollection is he's got another $3,000 in the second set (along with the first for a total of about $6K for parts).

Made me smile when I got my TAD's and only had to hit some buttons to reprogram my active.

• 5 years later...
43 minutes ago, Jim smith said:

Do you see electrolytic capacitors in this build

Yes the original posted pictures of the Focal crossover had electrolytics. I can no longer see those. Now @rigma 's super duper passive crossovers, no, no electrolytics in his.

I noticed a lot black solens , that cap gets so much "love "hate , I like em ,  cold not smooth , good caps sound great to , lol 

On 4/12/2018 at 1:40 PM, babadono said:

High $$$$$ ( I am assuming) crossover with electrolytic capacitors? Hmmm

Edited by Jim smith

I believe they have at least one one the 1502 subs that got built. DTEL has one. That means there are only two others sitting somewhere.

I bet it was fun getting it up the stairs.