Opinions on Quartets

mcp

I have been looking for a used pair of Heresy IIs, but a pair of Quartets is available locally. I’ve never heard Quartets so I would appreciate any feedback. Also, the seller used them in a 3000 sq. ft. commercial  gym; would this be a deal killer for you? He is telling me that they were on elevated platforms and are quite dusty.

19563.png

11 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If they were suspended they were probably not touched, dinged or hit. 

If the price is right I'd jump on 

Seller is asking $500, but that seems a little high to me...mulling it over.

37 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Are they the I's or IIs?  The II's have a different updated midrange.

I don't believe there are 2 versions of Quartet's.  In "theory", they would be a II (per se) as they do have a larger mid horn unlike what the version I Forte or Chorus had.

• Like 2

I've had two pairs of Quartet's over the years......paid around $350 - $400 for each pair.....both pair I would grade around an 7.5-8.0 out of 10.  Quartet's are very good speakers.....the little brother to the Forte II.  To my ears, there is only a small step down from FII's to the Q's.  If they are in good condition, they are worth $400 plus easily.  Given that FII's seem to be selling for well north of $500 these days...upwards of $700 or so, the Q's for $400-$500 (if in good shape) are a good buy.  I think there is a much bigger jump from Heresy's to Q's, than from Q's to FII's......performance wise.  Just my opinion.

Hogfan

It's probably the perfect speaker all around. Decent size, but not too big for WAF. They use the tractrix mid-range horn, so great clarity. Forte II and chorus II will beat them, but only because of size. They tend to hold their value as well. Try to get them for $400. If you find heresies, A+B them and decide what you like better. You most likely won't lose money on the quartet.

• Like 1

Just now, glens said:

If all the drivers emit their proper quantity and quality of sound, tell the seller $450 and he can keep the wire.  If you don't, I will.

Lol...I made an offer and it was accepted. 5 minutes later, the seller reached out to say her spouse had already sold them. Snoozing, losing  etc.

They stomp all over heresies.  As for waf, my step-mother decided they had to go.  Keep in mind they were a gift from me to my Dad.  They went easily for $400, I bet she blew it on the recalcitrant grandchild's rehabs, one of many.  I know, a gift is a gift, and I have no regrets on that, but shitfire what a waste.

• Sad 1

Even though the sale was lost, I still have to cast my vote!

Quartets definitely outperform Heresy's. I didn't keep mine because they were physically too large to my eyes in my environment. But they played louder and lower, and still had the "horn sound". And I would definitely pay $500 for a pair; I paid more than that for a pair of Heresy II's. Good luck finding another pair.

And to rub it in, I purchased my Quartets for the insanely low price of $250!

20 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Quartets definitely outperform Heresy's.

Just curious, what does "outperform" mean?:unsure2:  Dig deeper, tighter bass, image better, more accurate, more detailed?

No argument here seriously want to know.:unsure::smile:

Bill